Old 06-03-2019, 11:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to smuryof Send a message via MSN to smuryof Send a message via Yahoo to smuryof
Default What is a good condition '67 400 worth?

What would a drivetrain out of a '67 Catalina be worth, 400 engine & trans? Assuming it all runs & shifts perfectly.

I'm not asking because I am trying to sell one, I'm asking because I'm considering buying a project car and want to justify my offering price. It's surface rusted all over, a few pinholes here and there (not super-bad), bad brake lines, dry-rotted tires, etc. etc.; Once I dig into it more deeply, it very well might be non-restorable, so I'm trying to mitigate my risk.

[Edit]It starts and runs smoothly, seems to have plenty of power, and I believe the transmission is shifting smoothly & instantly (not sloppy at all.) I think the drivetrain has 42K honest, original miles.[/Edit]

I'm hoping these days, considering becoming only more rare, the drivetrain alone would be worth at least 1500 or so, but maybe that's a bit high.

Thoughts?

-Jim

Old 06-03-2019, 11:34 AM

I'm not current on pricing but I'm thinking it's worth more in the $500 range...

From your description the car doesn't sound like it would be so bad as to be unrestorable - I always hate to see full size cars parted out just for their engines.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

Im not sure on the trans as you can get a brand new one from summit for like 1300$ that already has the usual performance mods installed.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hup-34-1b/overview/

Here is a 67 400 block already magnafluxed. Granted it does have a sleeve, which you could use as a bargaining chip...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/pontiac-400...-/273870527809

Are you looking to then sell the drivetrain once you purchase the car? I think 1500 even with 42K original miles is pretty high. I have had people pay me to take 326's away.

Any pictures of the project car?

The Burb Files
Old 06-03-2019, 11:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to smuryof Send a message via MSN to smuryof Send a message via Yahoo to smuryof

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Tempest View Post
Are you looking to then sell the drivetrain once you purchase the car? I think 1500 even with 42K original miles is pretty high. I have had people pay me to take 326's away.

No pictures - I should have taken them yesterday when I looked at it. It's a standard 4dr sedan, and as I mentioned has a lot of surface rust. The pinholes are in the quarters and fenders, and then some where the rear trim under the window is supposed to be (think this is allowing leaks into the trunk area.)

I'm not looking to part this out at all; That's the last thing I want to do. My first goal is to get it garaged to stop the cancer, then street legal. It'll need the seat reattached, rear lights re-wired, at least one tire replaced, and brake lines installed, at a minimum. Then, after that, I will correct the (water) leaks & at least get a coat of wax on it until I have the time and resources to repaint everything.

The reason I asked the question is because I'm worried even at 1500 I might be over-paying. But, maybe it's not a fair question to ask without pictures.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The patina look is in right now. So maybe get it tuned up and running right and drive the wheels off it..

The Burb Files
Old 06-03-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Tempest View Post
I poked around a bit, and though this isn't the actual car, the body and interior condition are probably a close approximation: http://uniclassiccars.com/pontiac/33...o-reserve.html

Old 06-03-2019, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Id, offer closer to 1250$.

The Burb Files
Old 06-03-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuryof View Post
I poked around a bit, and though this isn't the actual car, the body and interior condition are probably a close approximation: http://uniclassiccars.com/pontiac/33...o-reserve.html
There's surface rust, and then there's SURFACE RUST. That one looks pretty rough.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:51 PM

After everyone's feedback, and considering the amount of work I'd need to do just to get her legal on the road, I ended up deciding not to pull the trigger. I really do want another full-size, but I can't justify this one. Too many missing pieces and it's been sitting out unprotected for too long.

Thanks - and if anyone's got a Cat or Bonnie they want to sell, sedan / hardtop / whatever, shoot me a message

-Jim