Old 06-24-2019, 12:45 PM
Senior Chief

Question 68 Rear Bumper Buy New or Re-Chrome?

The rear bumper to my '68 GTO looks reasonably good from a distance, but when you get up close it has rust forming on the surface in many places.

Had to remove the bumper to remove the tail light assemblies and discovered a lot of rust on the back side of the bumper.

Each of the major suppliers, including AMES, offers new bumpers that range in price from $325 to $375 plus shipping of approximately $90 putting the total cost at between $415 to $465.

The local chrome shops here in San Antonio and Houston want $320 to nearly $400 to re-chrome the bumper.

One Chrome shop has tried to convince me that the new bumpers do not have the same metal and/or quality as the original bumper. I cannot imagine AMES selling a crappy bumper, but good replacements are not always available for certain parts. I do not know how good the replacement rear bumper is for the '68 GTO.

So, what do you think is the best way to proceed? Re-Chrome the Original Bumper, or buy a new one?

I will be buying new tail light assemblies and a new license plate assembly, but for me the new bumper versus re-chrome is a toss up. Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No brainer if you getting quotes that cheap.

Stay with your original.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:35 PM
Suspended

Nothing to consider. A rechromed original is always of much better fit and quality than any Chiwanese piece. If price is of any concern, sell the car. What ever you do don't have Bumper Boyz touch it.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As long as you know the bumper rechromers put out a good quality rechrome, that's the route to go. I believe the triple coated is the best way to go (nickle, copper, chrome) for looks and durability.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

6 pages worth.... https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ghlight=bumper

Old 06-25-2019, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would even pay a bit more to have the original re-chromed as opposed to buying a repop. Dont know anything about the bumpers but have heard horror stories about sheet metal not fitting correctly. At least with that stuff it can be cut, hammered, filled and painted. Not gonna do that with chrome.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great thing about re-chroming an original .... you already know how it fits.

Make sure you get YOUR bumper back and don't use a place that just exchanges your bumper for an original already re-chromed.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Make sure you get YOUR bumper back and don't use a place that just exchanges your bumper for an original already re-chromed.
#1 +++++++ Grade A advice !

Frank

Old 06-25-2019, 11:14 PM

when I had my bumper rechromed....I requested they stick weld my Last Name on the backside while I watched .......so I knew it was mine.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:33 AM
Suspended

These stories of not getting your bumper back are true and are happening more and more. A friend of mine sent his perfect core rear bumper out from his '64 GTO. He got back a bumper that had both corners patched from being rotted. It took him over 1-1/2 years to find a good replacement core and he had to pay stupid money for it.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good place to mark them is on the back side behind the license plate section. That way any welding or stamping that distorts the surface won't show.

You can "write" your initials pretty easy with a MIG gun.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:03 PM
Senior Chief

Definitely have your original redone, and if local even better! Absolutely mark it and take pictures of the marking and make them aware you want Your bumper back. Those prices are about half of what paid when I had a pair of 67s done about five years ago; so if they do good work go for it! Triple plate chrome will look better than the factory double plate ever did; factory didn’t use copper as a base, and nothing was polished as well as a redone one should be. And as has been said; you know your bumper fits.