Old 07-08-2019, 12:31 PM
Senior Chief

Default Master Cylinder Pushrod Length

Hello all,

I'm thinking I should have simply started a "My Disc Brake Conversion" thread and just kept adding to it over time. My apologies if I'm not following proper forum etiquette.

My latest challange/question relates to the master cylinder. I am replacing the stock factory drum/drum non-power unit with a Wilwood disc/disc non-power unit (15/16" bore if that matters at all). This is going into a 1968 Firebird with a 6:1 ratio pedal and using the top hole.

I pulled out the original MC and set it next to the replacement Wilwood unit and the pushrod on the Wilwood is about 1/2" shorter than the original. I'm thinking this will at least cause the pedal to sit lower when not engaged. I called Wilwood and they said this should be fine and showed no concern. The only requirement they have is that the plunger should bottom out before the pedal hits the floor. They also didn't recommend removing/replacing the pushrod with anything else.

Anyone have thoughts or experience with this?

I thank you.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear
Old 07-08-2019, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My concern would be that you get the travel throughout your master to fully push the piston in bore.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:43 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72lemans View Post
My concern would be that you get the travel throughout your master to fully push the piston in bore.
Thank you, I'm going to put it in this weekend to be sure of the full travel. I've also ordered a couple of the odd clips that hold the clevis pin just in case.

I thank you.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear