Old 06-26-2019, 08:51 PM

Default 1964 to 1967 Steering column interchangeable

I have a 1965 Pontiac GTO floor shift car. I am looking for a steering column to restore and swap in mine.

I seem to find more 66 - 67 columns but I am unsure if they are the same as mine... can someone confirm if they are all the same or not ? Ames has just one number but it might be a "in house" rebuild number.

Thanks in advance

Wrong pic - just a visual

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Old 06-27-2019, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

'64, 65, '66 are are each their own year column, as an assembly, due to the small model year specific dash filler panel which is captured/slides up & down under the bowl on the outer tube of the column. With column disassembly, these small filler panels can be swapped & one year of early column can be turned into another.

'67 Pontiac A-body colums are one year only, due to energy absorbing design & larger diam lower bowl. Though with modification to the dash bezel opening, have examined the results of the installation of a '67 energy absorbing column into a '65 GTO. The energy absorbing design of the '67 & 68 columns included the expanded metal design of the outer column tube (mast jacket) as well as the first collapsible strg column shaft.

In '67, there were also two different styles of floorshift Pontiac A-body non tilt columns. The most common style, at the lower end, it continues the tulip shaped end that is welded onto the shaft. This is what bolts to the rag joint at the strg box. On '67 GTO's factory equipped with the 400 HO engine (RA exhaust manifolds), the original '67 column utilized a splined lower shaft with a bolt-on cast iron flange for ease of column installation/removal. This removable cast iron flange was same as used with '67 & '68 tilt columns.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
'64, 65, '66 are are each their own year ......
BOOM !
There I go, what I needed. Thank you

(Taptalk doesn't have a "thank" button anymore?)

Old 06-28-2019, 07:11 AM

Don’t forget the “ as an assembly” part of the answer. 65 and 66 columns are interchangeable mechanically and electrically. It’s only the dash filler panel that is year specific. The filler is easy enough to change.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:50 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny99 View Post
Don’t forget the “ as an assembly” part of the answer. 65 and 66 columns are interchangeable mechanically and electrically. It’s only the dash filler panel that is year specific. The filler is easy enough to change.
This ^^^

And '67 is set up for emergency flashers, so the wiring will be different.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
This ^^^

And '67 is set up for emergency flashers, so the wiring will be different.
Thanks !

Old 07-14-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny99 View Post
Thanks !