Old 06-16-2019, 10:01 PM
Senior Chief

Default 68 GTO Tail/Brake/Flasher Lights Issues

Driver's side tail lights and flashers work just fine. Passenger side tail lights and flashers have the following problem:

Passenger and driver Lenses removed, parking lights in the on position: (passenger side) Left side bulb only illuminates the stoplight/flasher element(Bottom element), right side illuminates the correct tail light element(upper element)

(Driver's side, both left and right bulbs illuminate the correct tail lamp upper elements.)

When hazard flasher is turned on, driver's side illuminates correctly, tail elements stay illuminated and stop/hazard elements flash on and off correctly.

Passenger side, left side bulb has stop/hazard constantly illuminated (bottom element) and the tail light element flashes on and off. Right side bulb has tail element (top element) constantly illuminated and stop/hazard element (bottom element) flashes on and off correctly.

The passenger side, left side bulb tail light element flashes on and off alternately with the right side bulb stop/hazard element (bottom element)

The assemblies were pulled and cleaned and the wires are inserted into the sockets correctly. The connection points inside the sockets have good spring tension and were cleaned. The wires are NOT reversed. All wiring connections have been checked and are tight and connected properly. The bulbs are all new.

I am tempted to replace both tail light assemblies and the trunk wiring harness, but I am not sure that will correct the problem.

I am stumped as to why the passenger side left hand bulb is illuminating essentially opposite of the way it should be working. I first assumed that the wiring was somehow crossed, but it is not. Is it it a bad (51 year old) tail light assembly?

Any help and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Two Possibles

You've verified wiring is correct. Orientation of contacts in the sockets is correct. That leaves two things possible. Bulbs not grounded or defect bulbs.

When bulb bases aren't grounded good in the socket or socket/tail lamp assembly not grounded good, you get feed-back problems. Power goes in one element/filament and back out the other because of their shared ground leg inside the bulb.

I ohm test new bulbs just like new glass fuses. Defect fuse rate is crazy. looks good but the lead strip inside doesn't make contact with the end cap. Same thing happens with bulbs. It's usually the ground leg not making contact with the base.

Wiggle bulbs, swap them around, and see if you get different results with your testing.

Working with tired sockets, where the bulb base isn't snug enuff, I have put a drop of solder on the side of the base to snug them up. Both sides if you have to and file to fit.

Clay

Old 06-17-2019, 11:35 AM
Senior Chief

To Quick Silver: Thank you for your reply

Old bulbs were working fine until recently. Went through the sockets and cleaned them and ensured wires were not crossed. Same result. Wrong element lighting up. Stop hazard lighting up when parking lights turned (Bottom element) on and tail lamp element flashing on an off in signal or when hazard turned on (top element)

Changed to new bulbs and same result. Changed back to old bulbs and same result. Change to second set of new bulbs and same result.

Wires are not crossed, but wrong element is lighting up when lights turned on or hazard is turned on. Both elements are lighting, but just the opposite of the way they should be.

I think the assembly is just not working right anymore. Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Old 07-11-2019, 12:50 PM
Senior Chief

Okay, had no luck with the original tail light assemblies, so I bought a pair of new ones from AMES.

They are slightly different from the originals. They were initially wired INCORRECTLY. Both the right and left assemblies had the wires crossed inside the "Three-Prong" connector.

The wrong element of the two element bulb was lighting up. For example, the "STOP/TURN SIGNAL element was lighting up when the parking/headlight switch was turned on. The tail lamp element was illuminating when the flasher was turned on.

I had to remove the female connectors from the three prong connector and switch them from side to side. Once that was accomplished, the correct bulb elements now light up when the corresponding switch is turned to the on position.

Have not checked them for fit into the bumper since the bumper is out being restored. Will report back after I get the bumper back on the car.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:00 PM
Senior Chief

Unhappy Bad Taillight Assemblies

Just came to the conclusion that the new taillight assemblies are not worth the money.

Besides the fact that they come wired incorrectly, the places where the screws go into to hold the lenses in pop out just as soon as the screws are put in. The result is that the lenses CANNOT be attached. Cannot use the assemblies without the lenses being able to be attached.

I am not sure why APE sells this product with two such major flaws.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you sure brand new housings are both wired wrong? I would think that Ames has sold many pairs of these. And the 1157 bulbs are something that needs a ground.

If the ground is missing or weak the power goes back in thru the bulb on the other filament to try and "seek" a ground. There are flat metal ground straps on those housings which, when installed into the bumper make contact to that by overlapping tabs to the chrome and then on to the bumper brackets which are bolted to the frame. Up inside the engine compartment there should be a copper ground strap from the Right front inner wheel-housing to the top of the frame. When testing '68 tail lamps you need a ground wire on those housings to simulate the pathway thru your rear bumper to the frame.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:02 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
Are you sure brand new housings are both wired wrong? I would think that Ames has sold many pairs of these. And the 1157 bulbs are something that needs a ground.

If the ground is missing or weak the power goes back in thru the bulb on the other filament to try and "seek" a ground. There are flat metal ground straps on those housings which, when installed into the bumper make contact to that by overlapping tabs to the chrome and then on to the bumper brackets which are bolted to the frame. Up inside the engine compartment there should be a copper ground strap from the Right front inner wheel-housing to the top of the frame. When testing '68 tail lamps you need a ground wire on those housings to simulate the pathway thru your rear bumper to the frame.
Yes, Absolutely sure the housings are wired incorrectly. They can be corrected by re-wiring them correctly, but the caps that are supposed to accept and hold the lens screws are totally worthless. They pop off as soon as you try to screw the screw in.

The grounds were all in place and that was not the problem.