Old 07-26-2019, 06:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Pegged voltmeter

Hi guys. Need some input. I have some independent events that I don’t know what to think of, as related or not. The facts:

1. All of the sudden, my voltmeter gauge is pegged at 18. When car is off battery terminal register 12ish on multimeter. When car is on it registers almost 18. So it’s not the gauge.

2. Roughly around the same time, my taillight turn signal bulb stopped working. Although bulb element was fine, replaced anyway, also sanded bulb socket that acts as ground, and that is now working again.

3. On the headlight switch, my rheostat is has always been temperamental to get interior lights on, have to roll it till I feel it scrap and then interior lights come on. That is no longer working. Can’t get interior dash lights on at all now.

Those are the facts. I don’t know if they are interrelated or not. So, since the headlight switch was already faulty, I can replace. My question is how to trouble shoot the pegged voltmeter?

And a related question- in its current state is it bad to drive the car? I don’t know the impact of 18 volts for day around town driving.

Thanks for input guys. Otherwise car is running strong since my other mechanical escapades.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

DEFINITELY don't drive the car with alt. maxing out!!!

"Bill"!

Old 07-26-2019, 07:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok was ready for weekend cruise, but will hold off. Any ideas on trouble shooting? Electrical is not my strong suit for sure

Old 07-27-2019, 05:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like the regulator failed, or poor/loose connection between alt & reg. The higher voltage has probably blown the lamps that are no longer working.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And, in short order, it will cook the battery!

Old 07-27-2019, 07:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok thanks. I ordered a new regulator, let’s see if that does the trick...

Old 07-27-2019, 07:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get solid state regulator / not mechanical .

Last edited by chrisp; 07-27-2019 at 07:14 AM. Reason: ad
Old 07-27-2019, 07:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks chrisp. I did read about that last night and ordered the vr715 so all good.

Old 07-27-2019, 05:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I put the vr715 in and I’m at 14.5 volts so it seems fixed. What is remarkable was that I ordered the part at 830 pm last night and was on my door step today at 10am from autozone. Fast shipping. At 1030 it was fixed.

Went ahead and replaced the headlight switch too and the interior lights/dimmer now works. So the night cruise is back on!