Old 08-15-2019, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Surprised that he didn't take $28.8. That's close enough to $30,000, which I'd consider crazy money for that car. I'm not a numbers-matching guy, though. (And just because the seller says it's all original doesn't mean that it is.)

Those poverty caps certainly aren't original, and the front seats look pretty nice for a 120,000 mile car - especially when compared to the outside paint.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:27 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Surprised that he didn't take $28.8. That's close enough to $30,000, which I'd consider crazy money for that car. I'm not a numbers-matching guy, though. (And just because the seller says it's all original doesn't mean that it is.)

Those poverty caps certainly aren't original, and the front seats look pretty nice for a 120,000 mile car - especially when compared to the outside paint.
Shill bidder

Old 08-15-2019, 04:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Guys, please help me with a few variables if you could. The first one is:

1) If the car was a legitimate tri-power (what would the approximate value be?)

From what I have seen in the market historically, I'd say generally $12,000- $15,000 more

2) If the car was a 1965 with tri-power (what would the approximate value be?)

I think that would add another $5,000 on top of the $15,000.

I'm interested in your feedback, thanks.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems like a reasonable range on finished type cars or highly preserved unrestored/mostly unrestored.
If the qualities/contents/colors are fairly equal between the candidates.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:59 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGTO View Post
Guys, please help me with a few variables if you could. The first one is:

1) If the car was a legitimate tri-power (what would the approximate value be?)

From what I have seen in the market historically, I'd say generally $12,000- $15,000 more

2) If the car was a 1965 with tri-power (what would the approximate value be?)

I think that would add another $5,000 on top of the $15,000.

I'm interested in your feedback, thanks.
Maybe around this place but not in the real "cash paying" world. There is a huge difference between "asking" and "sold" numbers and I don't mean Barrett-Jackson drunk bidder with a camera in his face numbers.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Seems like a reasonable range on finished type cars or highly preserved unrestored/mostly unrestored.
If the qualities/contents/colors are fairly equal between the candidates.
Exactly my sentiments, thanks for responding Baron.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Maybe around this place but not in the real "cash paying" world. There is a huge difference between "asking" and "sold" numbers and I don't mean Barrett-Jackson drunk bidder with a camera in his face numbers.
Well Chief I'm not so sure if I completely agree with you because "around here" is to some degree Pontiac central, given the knowledgeable people that are on this site and even if Barrett Jackson and Mecum have enthusiastic bidding, that to has to be factored into value determination/estimations of the market .

Thank you for replying, I can always count on you for a straightforward response and that's what I'm looking for. I'm in the process of looking for a 1965 GTO and some guys are "off the chart" on what they think their cars are worth.

I've been adding up the air miles this spring/summer with no success.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most of the best -really sought after type- 64 and 65 3x2 cars won't get sold again until current owners die or become feeble or buy retirement villa's.

Harder to find the right early cars being sold, and they usually have greater sentimental value than actual retail value.
aka worth more to their owners, than to anyone else, sort of thing.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:35 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGTO View Post
Well Chief I'm not so sure if I completely agree with you because "around here" is to some degree Pontiac central, given the knowledgeable people that are on this site and even if Barrett Jackson and Mecum have enthusiastic bidding, that to has to be factored into value determination/estimations of the market .

Thank you for replying, I can always count on you for a straightforward response and that's what I'm looking for. I'm in the process of looking for a 1965 GTO and some guys are "off the chart" on what they think their cars are worth.

I've been adding up the air miles this spring/summer with no success.
When I was looking for a '65 for a friend of mine I cannot tell you how many $25,000.00 GTO's I seen for $40,000.00 to $50,000.00. I ended up convincing him to buy his old car back. A much nicer car at a much more realistic price with an interesting history. Its currently on the cover of the latest edition of Poncho Perfection.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:38 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Most of the best -really sought after type- 64 and 65 3x2 cars won't get sold again until current owners die or become feeble or buy retirement villa's.

Harder to find the right early cars being sold, and they usually have greater sentimental value than actual retail value.
This is somewhat true and is more likely the reason for the prices I previously stated. Buyers do not and will not pay for sentimental value.

Too many people, especially muscle car people and people around here, put muscle cars on a golden pedestal without merit.

Last edited by Chief of the 60's; 08-16-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Looks like something Bart (b-man) would drive.

K
LOL.....that was the very first thing that came to my mind, as well!

Old 08-16-2019, 05:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

Spot on, I had dialog with an original owner of a 1967 GTO who wanted $78,000. He was so polite and decent on the phone. After he had no takers for months the car became $58,000. Improved price but still high going on pictures he sent me. Finally he said he had turned down $50,000 and I figured this GTO must be good car after all. I flew to Tennessee only to discover a thoroughly worn out, tired and completely sun baked GTO.

Insanity!

The pictures he sent me were carefully taken as not to show the really bad stuff. At least I got a chance to visit eastern Tennessee and visit an area I have always wanted to see.

At least now I'm up to speed on Knoxville restaurants and hotels. :--)

Old 09-10-2019, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
...There is a restored 64 Silver with Blue interior Hardtop, Tripower 4spd Nicely Optioned coming up for auction in September at Dallas Texas - Mecum Auction.
The link i glanced at didn't picture any documentation though.
Car bid to $29k - didn't meet reserve.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/DA0919-39...4-pontiac-gto/

Was said to be a matching # 78XW car with TriPower added.
Anti-Radio with Heater Delete

Seems like a better car and better value than the $35k eBay survivor
Mecum usually shills them pretty close to reserve -
so 30-35k probably would have bought it.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

“Seems like a better car and better value than the $35k eBay survivor”

I disagree.

For the most part, the eBay 64 Survivor doesn’t seem to be hiding anything.
What you see, is what you get ...... with POP and more info. Legitimate.

That one at Mecum is thrown together.

LH door is a different color.
Check out the RH hood hinge. Front arms are strap iron. Really.

High gloss upper dash, on and on and on with this backyard car.

My 3 cents.

Chris.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.

Last edited by 60sstuff; 09-10-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default It’s back 4 sale again.

Auction #193618607227

Same car as in post #1, but unfortunately this car has the wrong block.

I saw the block cast date code (Oct 63) and it didn’t jive with the car build (July 64) so I was able to have the seller send me the block stamping.

Not sure what this stamping represents, but it’s not the born with block.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D62CB9A8-4143-4A54-945C-46EF1C6F5BA3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	546917   Click image for larger version

Name:	EC63B926-8CB9-4D10-94C8-A7BAEA008194.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	546918   Click image for larger version

Name:	5D3B274C-5415-4442-B0DF-911E92697D25.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	546919  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'64 27P is a pretty common Bonneville/Star Chief 389 when backed by a Super Hydramatic and without A/C.

EUN 056351 was assembled sometime in mid Oct I believe (too lazy to check my '64 Engine Log). Depending on which Final Plant installed it, probably came out of a build from early to mid Nov. '63 (or even late Oct).

'64 Fremont builds will show their original EUN on the PHS record and will match the '64 Ident-O-Plate which shows EUN 587914.

That engine was assembled a couple weeks before the end of '64 engine assembly as was the car itself. My engine log stops around EUN 610000 or thereabouts.

I read thru the posts here.

As a '64 owner I'm biased. I don't disagree with the valuation estimates. But I was shocked recently when a '65 hardtop recently sold for $71,000 on BaT. It was nice enough but......

Not too long ago, a '64 convertible went unsold, didn't hit $45,000 IIRC.

I know what I think they should be worth but when I see auction results like these two, I realize there is no accounting for what Buyers will pay or not pay. Only truism, they are worth what a buyer will pay.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
Not sure what this stamping represents, but it’s not the born with block.
That's a crying shame.
I'm gonna say it represents that he can either settle for 1/3 of his asking price, or keep the car until his funeral.

A savvy/shady restoration farm could use the EUN data and make it whole again someday with a later dated restamped block.

Wonder if it has the original 716 heads, or the 345 heads that would have been on the 27P engine ?

Old 08-12-2020, 10:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The ad specifically states

" ALL ORIGINAL SURIVIVOR!" 1964 PONTIAC GTO - CLEAN CA SURVIVOR!
4-SPEED, IDENT-0-PLATE, WINDOW STICKER, PHS DOCUMENTED!

It doesn't say the original engine is still in the car but the ad it's misleading enough to considered false in my opinion.

This car will be bought by a trusting guy (like myself) and maybe find out his GTO has a base 389 (from somewhere). while he's at a car cruise or show.

Not fair to anybody.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gary,

I agree with you. But this happens with classic cars.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK !

I’m not looking to buy this particular car, but I did reach out to the seller (as he suggests, via eBay or phone number) with questions. It worked.

The “Powertrain” needs to be factory correct on these cars for the greatest value.

CT

Old 08-12-2020, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Link to new auction listing
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Pontia...JfMHF9&vxp=mtr

Some good shots underneath the car.
Looks like Fremont shot the whole underside with body color in 64.
Didn't know that

12-15 seems like the "fair price range" considering the engine.
It is a good car otherwise, in its own way.

at 20k now with 4 days to go.