Old 08-15-2019, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Surprised that he didn't take $28.8. That's close enough to $30,000, which I'd consider crazy money for that car. I'm not a numbers-matching guy, though. (And just because the seller says it's all original doesn't mean that it is.)

Those poverty caps certainly aren't original, and the front seats look pretty nice for a 120,000 mile car - especially when compared to the outside paint.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Surprised that he didn't take $28.8. That's close enough to $30,000, which I'd consider crazy money for that car. I'm not a numbers-matching guy, though. (And just because the seller says it's all original doesn't mean that it is.)

Those poverty caps certainly aren't original, and the front seats look pretty nice for a 120,000 mile car - especially when compared to the outside paint.
Shill bidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I rarely agree with Chief on anything but...........
Old 08-15-2019, 04:02 PM
Senior Chief

Guys, please help me with a few variables if you could. The first one is:

1) If the car was a legitimate tri-power (what would the approximate value be?)

From what I have seen in the market historically, I'd say generally $12,000- $15,000 more

2) If the car was a 1965 with tri-power (what would the approximate value be?)

I think that would add another $5,000 on top of the $15,000.

I'm interested in your feedback, thanks.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems like a reasonable range on finished type cars or highly preserved unrestored/mostly unrestored.
If the qualities/contents/colors are fairly equal between the candidates.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGTO View Post
Guys, please help me with a few variables if you could. The first one is:

1) If the car was a legitimate tri-power (what would the approximate value be?)

From what I have seen in the market historically, I'd say generally $12,000- $15,000 more

2) If the car was a 1965 with tri-power (what would the approximate value be?)

I think that would add another $5,000 on top of the $15,000.

I'm interested in your feedback, thanks.
Maybe around this place but not in the real "cash paying" world. There is a huge difference between "asking" and "sold" numbers and I don't mean Barrett-Jackson drunk bidder with a camera in his face numbers.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2019, 03:38 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Seems like a reasonable range on finished type cars or highly preserved unrestored/mostly unrestored.
If the qualities/contents/colors are fairly equal between the candidates.
Exactly my sentiments, thanks for responding Baron.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:57 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Maybe around this place but not in the real "cash paying" world. There is a huge difference between "asking" and "sold" numbers and I don't mean Barrett-Jackson drunk bidder with a camera in his face numbers.
Well Chief I'm not so sure if I completely agree with you because "around here" is to some degree Pontiac central, given the knowledgeable people that are on this site and even if Barrett Jackson and Mecum have enthusiastic bidding, that to has to be factored into value determination/estimations of the market .

Thank you for replying, I can always count on you for a straightforward response and that's what I'm looking for. I'm in the process of looking for a 1965 GTO and some guys are "off the chart" on what they think their cars are worth.

I've been adding up the air miles this spring/summer with no success.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most of the best -really sought after type- 64 and 65 3x2 cars won't get sold again until current owners die or become feeble or buy retirement villa's.

Harder to find the right early cars being sold, and they usually have greater sentimental value than actual retail value.
aka worth more to their owners, than to anyone else, sort of thing.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGTO View Post
Well Chief I'm not so sure if I completely agree with you because "around here" is to some degree Pontiac central, given the knowledgeable people that are on this site and even if Barrett Jackson and Mecum have enthusiastic bidding, that to has to be factored into value determination/estimations of the market .

Thank you for replying, I can always count on you for a straightforward response and that's what I'm looking for. I'm in the process of looking for a 1965 GTO and some guys are "off the chart" on what they think their cars are worth.

I've been adding up the air miles this spring/summer with no success.
When I was looking for a '65 for a friend of mine I cannot tell you how many $25,000.00 GTO's I seen for $40,000.00 to $50,000.00. I ended up convincing him to buy his old car back. A much nicer car at a much more realistic price with an interesting history. Its currently on the cover of the latest edition of Poncho Perfection.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2019, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Most of the best -really sought after type- 64 and 65 3x2 cars won't get sold again until current owners die or become feeble or buy retirement villa's.

Harder to find the right early cars being sold, and they usually have greater sentimental value than actual retail value.
This is somewhat true and is more likely the reason for the prices I previously stated. Buyers do not and will not pay for sentimental value.

Too many people, especially muscle car people and people around here, put muscle cars on a golden pedestal without merit.

Quote:

Last edited by Chief of the 60's; 08-16-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Looks like something Bart (b-man) would drive.

K
LOL.....that was the very first thing that came to my mind, as well!
Old 08-16-2019, 05:20 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:

Spot on, I had dialog with an original owner of a 1967 GTO who wanted $78,000. He was so polite and decent on the phone. After he had no takers for months the car became $58,000. Improved price but still high going on pictures he sent me. Finally he said he had turned down $50,000 and I figured this GTO must be good car after all. I flew to Tennessee only to discover a thoroughly worn out, tired and completely sun baked GTO.

Insanity!

The pictures he sent me were carefully taken as not to show the really bad stuff. At least I got a chance to visit eastern Tennessee and visit an area I have always wanted to see.

At least now I'm up to speed on Knoxville restaurants and hotels. :--)