Old 10-05-2017, 02:04 PM
Senior Chief

Default Resonators

Hi I have the Pypes Sgf 70 exhaust system and its way too loud. Any one use resonators if so did you like them and what brand did you use? Thanks

Old 12-15-2017, 05:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have the long case Dynomax mufflers on my 69 GTO and after them I have Waldron 2 1/4" tailpipes with resonators. The headpipes are Pypes 2 1/2". The Dnomax mufflers are pretty quiet by themselves (my friend had them on his Lemans 400) and now my car is so quiet you can barely hear the engine out on the highway.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I run 2 of the SGF70 Pypes systems on my cars here.

Oddly on one car it's a bit too loud and the other it's very nice. Size of engine is playing a roll though.

With the tail pipes the way they are on these transverse systems, there isn't room for resonators there, so you'll have to graft something into the system on the head pipes ahead of the transverse muffler. Without running into ground clearance issues it would probably be best to use a bullet style resonator.

Another option I did on one is to run smaller stock sized tail pipes to tame the noise level a bit. I did this on our 69 Z/28. Although the system wasn't all that loud with a little 302 in front of it, the 11:1 compression did give it a little pop and my wife driving it daily wanted it a tad quieter. The Pypes tail pipes didn't exit in the proper location nor did they have the correct appearance anyway. So I grafted in a set of stock Z/28 2" tails, which actually fit better behind the tires and was able to now use the original tail pipe hangers as well (couldn't use them with the tailpipes supplied). This took the sound level down a couple notches and made it acceptable, and at the same time gave the correct appearance I wanted. I have sound clips here of the before and after.

On my 70 Formula RAIII, the engine is larger, and the same system is just all around much louder on this car. I mean it draws attention. You can drive under a bridge and rattle everything in there. Kind of funny. I need to get some driving video of this car. You wouldn't even think it's the same exhaust system I'm running on our Z. If I were to decide to tame this one down, it would be less work and pretty simple to just install some bullet style mufflers on the head pipes......if I could fit them without causing driveshaft interference. It's pretty tight with these systems around that area between the driveshaft and the floor pans.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is the same car with changes.

This is it's born with original 48 year old tranverse system with a factory "deep tone" muffler, original 2 1/4" head pipes and original 2" tail pipes. It has a typical cackle sound and the muffler is likely a little burnt out inside. Keep in mind even this system was later considered too loud and GM changed the system again around June of 69 and added a pair of resonators in the head pipes to quiet it down.

https://youtu.be/SDMeBoQpf58

Here is the same car with an SGF70 Pypes exhaust with their 2 1/2" tail pipes that stop right at the bottom of the quarter panels. Much deeper sound but really made noise when you jumped on it, more attention than my wife wanted.

https://youtu.be/5dTNw93VPEQ

Here is the same car with the SGF70 Pypes system but now I have installed a set of correct reproduction 2" tail pipes. This took away some of the deep rumble, less noise inside the car and not nearly as loud when you wind it up.

https://youtu.be/IZ0HlEY7b74

Old 01-15-2018, 11:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I run Vibrant resonators on my Pypes SGF70 system on a 1968 Firebird with a 455. I don't have a before and after for you because I did it all at the same time. The sound is excellent though. No drone. Not loud at idle. Great roar when you get on it.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:06 PM
Senior Chief

First Bird, where are you running the resonators. I am looking at the same brand and might have to put them just in front of the mufflers after the x-Over.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mine are after the X pipe and before the transverse muffler. Sounds like you might have dual mufflers before the axle?

Old 08-25-2018, 01:00 AM
Senior Chief

First Bird, after headers I am running 2.5-inch Pypes X-Over in front of dual Borla Pro XS mufflers, all ahead of the axle. I did the Borlas because I had to tuck all the exhaust in tight as possible after a lowering of my 76 TA. The Borlas are just as loud at the DynoMax Welded duals I had before (the DynoMax were a cool raspy sound compared to the deeper tone of the Borlas) but the Borlas are too loud at normal cruising RPM (great at idle and highway rpms). I want to minimize the excessive drone I now have, and tack down the volume a notch. What transverse muffler did you use (I never considered going that route) – wondering if you think your system would be a lot louder and with more drone if you took out the resonators. And if so, which Vibrants did you use. Hoping not to have to remove the Borlas - decent but different sound, and much better fit than the “fat” DynoMax units (that I also liked).

Old 09-07-2018, 12:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Get two resonators and weld them together side by side each in opposite directions. Some work either way. Hang them where the original transverse muffler was installed. It will be much quieter. Waldron sells 2 1/4" resonators, there are other sources..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old 01-16-2019, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same issue with my LS3 powered TA with Thrush transverse 2-1/2" setup. I followed FormulaJones lead and picked up a pair of Jones Exhaust (kickbacks there Formula?) resonators. Well made stainless pieces, 30 something each at Summit. Put them in and a lot of the raspiness went away.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190110_111411996.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	503076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190110_140619820.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	503077  

Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting way of doing it. Just kick the head pipes over a bit and line them up with the over the axle pipes? Looks like it fits pretty good like that.