Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:24 AM

Default Turbo Headers?

Is anyone aware of turbo headers available on the market for the traditional Pontiac V8? Just curious if there are any options to having a set custom built. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-10-2019, 09:26 AM
Boost Engineer

Custom Made Turbo Headers

If you called or went to a shop like McLaren Engineering on 8 mile road in Livonia, Michigan, (248) 477-6240, and asked to speak with Richard Cole you could get possibly get some very nice Stainless Headers made. Richard is one of there Best Fabricators there. He works with a guy named Don Bazinski (another outstanding fabricator).

Richard is also a Pontiac Guy so he would have a Pontiac Block and heads laying around that could be used to help fabricate the turbo headers. Vs you shipping a block and heads.

I have not talked to him since I retired a couple of years ago.

Not cheap but super high quality work.

Tom V.

It depends if you wanted stainless Log type manifolds like 455 Turbo (pic Below) used to build or you wanted swoopie stainless "The Raven" type Turbo Headers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine-2_455Turbo.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	511949  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 05-10-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That picture there is the way to go. Dont need a header thats harder and more involved to make . I had 3 different headers on my car and not one of them made more power then the next one. The log was easier to make and spooled faster.. It was a win win for me.. If i didnt try all 3 i would of never believed it..

Old 05-10-2019, 05:40 PM
Boost Engineer

That is why my turbo manifolds were made by the same guy who did the ones in the picture. Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are those spacers on the exhaust header bolts in the photo? To make install/removal easier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Custom Made Turbo Headers

If you called or went to a shop like McLaren Engineering on 8 mile road in Livonia, Michigan, (248) 477-6240, and asked to speak with Richard Cole you could get possibly get some very nice Stainless Headers made. Richard is one of there Best Fabricators there. He works with a guy named Don Bazinski (another outstanding fabricator).

Richard is also a Pontiac Guy so he would have a Pontiac Block and heads laying around that could be used to help fabricate the turbo headers. Vs you shipping a block and heads.

I have not talked to him since I retired a couple of years ago.

Not cheap but super high quality work.

Tom V.

It depends if you wanted stainless Log type manifolds like 455 Turbo (pic Below) used to build or you wanted swoopie stainless "The Raven" type Turbo Headers.

455/469 w/ #48 Heads, '65 Tri-Power
9.25:1 CR
Stump Puller Cam
Muncie M22W 1st-2.56 2nd-1.75 3rd-1.37 4th-1.00
3.55 Rear Differential
Front: 225/60R15 Height: 25.6"
Rear: 275/60R15 Height: 28"
Old 05-10-2019, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep we've proved it many times over here, log manifolds with turbos work very well. Spaghetti tubes look cool and maybe when you get over 1000 they might help, but we've managed to pump about 850hp out of a 5.3 LS truck motor with an S475 with factory manifolds

Old 05-11-2019, 05:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I made over 800hp with a 4cyl pontiac with a log header not even turned all the way up, and still had more in it... So thats the same as 1600hp with a 8cyl.. And like i said , it spooled faster..

Old 05-11-2019, 02:43 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
I made over 800hp with a 4cyl pontiac with a log header not even turned all the way up, and still had more in it... So thats the same as 1600hp with a 8cyl.. And like i said , it spooled faster..
That’s good info! You would have thought a header would have been better!

GTO George

Old 05-11-2019, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
That’s good info! You would have thought a header would have been better!

GTO George
Thats why i made the header the first time out. Then i had spooling problems so i tried shortening the header primaries which sort of helped then i went log and it took 2 1/2 maybe even 3 seconds off the spool time . Wish i knew then what i know now..

Old 05-11-2019, 10:51 PM
Boost Engineer

You determined Charlie, what your Specific Engine wanted for Exhaust Velocity to drive the Turbine Wheel so that the Compressor Wheel provided the proper Boost Rise.

Sometimes you get lucky, most times you need to run the testing so that you know for sure your assumptions were close.

John Welter and Travis Quillen ran smaller primary tubes than most would have chosen but they made the right decision and the 106mm Turbo on Welters car spooled great for its size.

Tom V.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
You determined Charlie, what your Specific Engine wanted for Exhaust Velocity to drive the Turbine Wheel so that the Compressor Wheel provided the proper Boost Rise.

Sometimes you get lucky, most times you need to run the testing so that you know for sure your assumptions were close.

John Welter and Travis Quillen ran smaller primary tubes than most would have chosen but they made the right decision and the 106mm Turbo on Welters car spooled great for its size.

Tom V.
I never forgot what you told me from day one Tom. The problem is we all interpret things through are own mental restraints. In my case it took 10 years and 3 trys. haha

Thanks for your willingness and patience...

Old 05-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Boost Engineer

Well in those ten years Charlie, you learned a lot about Blow-Thru Holley Carbs, Inter-coolers and Inter-cooling, EFI, E-85 Fuel, Turbo Matching, Engine Durability, Intake Design, Designed and Fabricated a LOT of your own boost parts, Block Durability, Transmission Rebuilds, and Exhaust Systems. Your Dad would be proud, you did good Charlie.

Tom V.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:10 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Thats why i made the header the first time out. Then i had spooling problems so i tried shortening the header primaries which sort of helped then i went log and it took 2 1/2 maybe even 3 seconds off the spool time . Wish i knew then what i know now..
Im, thinking with an ALL out race engine (drag race stuff) headers are probably better.

GTO George

Old 05-13-2019, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Im, thinking with an ALL out race engine (drag race stuff) headers are probably better.

GTO George
I wouldnt know . But i can definitely tell you a log will support over 1600hp. If i ever spring for a 4500 dollar billet crank ill know more because i want to make 1000hp with my 4ycl. That would be 2000hp for a 8cyl ..

Old 05-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Boost Engineer

Hang in there Charlie. History says it is possible, what you are trying to do.

168 Cubic Inch 4 cylinder Indy Car Engine (44 psi of boost) made over 1000 hp with One Turbo.
And this was with 1968 Technology parts. That is less than 1/3rd the size of George's boosted engine.
And the engine ran for 500 miles, that would be 2000 drag strip passes, lol.

You have probably 30 more cubic inches of displacement, and you were not far from 40 psi of boost pressure with a good cylinder head. You just need to get the crank durability sorted out.

Tom V.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:59 PM
Suspended

Quote:
I wouldnt know . But i can definitely tell you a log will support over 1600hp. If i ever spring for a 4500 dollar billet crank ill know more because i want to make 1000hp with my 4ycl. That would be 2000hp for a 8cyl ..
My Moldex crank only cost me $3,250! If i could crank my boost up to around 20 more (that would be about 31 lbs of boost) 2000 HP would be a piece of cake!

GTO George

Old 05-13-2019, 05:24 PM
Boost Engineer

Moldex Cranks, as was said, have had very good steel and MACHINING, historically.
Buying a High Quality Aftermarket Crankshaft is probably is one of the cheapest (over time) ways to increase durability out there.
Bryant, Kellogg, and others do make very high quality cranks.

"One Off" 4 cylinder Flat Crankshafts tend to cost more vs a typical Pontiac Moldex V-8 Crankshaft.

George has gotten a lot of years out of his Moldex Crank.

Hard to argue with the quality of a Ball Bearing Steel Billet.

I think the discussion was on Turbo Headers for this topic, though.

Tom V.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 05-13-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:28 PM
Suspended

Quote:
And the engine ran for 500 miles, that would be 2000 drag strip passes, lol.

Tom V.
Not even close! LOL!

GTO George

Old 05-13-2019, 05:45 PM
Boost Engineer

Let me help you with the math George.

500 miles has 2000 quarter miles.

What part of the math do you not understand?

A quarter mile race can be a foot race or it can be a Top Fuel race.
What part do you not understand there?

So explain, NOT EVEN CLOSE George. That sounds like an OPINION, not a fact.

And you were doing so good on this thread, until now,

Tom V.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:48 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Let me help you with the math George.

500 miles has 2000 quarter miles.

What part of the math do you not understand?

A quarter mile race can be a foot race or it can be a Top Fuel race.
What part do you not understand there?

So explain, NOT EVEN CLOSE George. That sounds like an OPINION, not a fact.

And you were doing so good on this thread, until now,

Tom V.
If you can't figure that out then that degree you have isn't worth SH_T! LOL!

GTO George