Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:18 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR RAM View Post
... Whats the length of a "Mini-Rod"? Do you remember if the engine was bored at all or was it the Std bore? Was it de-stroked as well?...
Mini-rod tractors are limited to 8' wheelbase, classes are usually 1,800 lb. ready to hook with driver. The bore was only honed out to 4.125" from original 4.121" to fit some blower pistons I already had, stroke was stock 3.75"- so I wound up with a Pontiac 401 c.i.

Taff- I had scrounged a junkyard block- I didn't know one 400 block from another. Perhaps it's a 1969? It's just 2-bolt mains, but main bearings still look new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	challenger_401_1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	514047  

Old 06-14-2019, 05:40 PM

FWIW I'm running a 440" twin turbo engine in my 71 TA. 67' 400 block with splayed mains. Deburred and prepped. RPM 4" forged crank. 6.635 BBC spec H-beam Eagle rods. Icon dished pistons. Comp Cams solid flat tappet, .508 lift cam with #96 heads that are mildly ported. Cheap($184 each) Ebay GT45 turbos on home built long manifolds. Blow thru C&S carb on e85. Been street raced for over 2 years, shifting at 6000 rpm or so. Car weighs 3650 with me in it and has been 9.16@153 at 7600' corrected elevation. I believe that short stroke and relatively low rpm is what's keeps it together. I don't see any reason that a 4.5" crank won't work if the rpm is kept down. May not be ideal but will work. Good luck with it!

Old 06-25-2019, 09:40 PM
Boost Engineer

Some good info in this article on engine specs even if it is a Belt Driven Vortech Supercharger dyno test vs a Turbo test.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hppp...-installation/

Don Keefe did a great job on the Article and the Pictures, this article was done many years ago.

A couple of comments:

The engine was a 2-Bolt block.
The engine did not have a large duration camshaft
The engine used readily available parts from the aftermarket, except for the Luhn Supercharger Brackets which Luhn has improved several time over the many years since that dyno test.

Vortech says the Supercharger was good for 820 HP and Luhn made 860 hp, the highest hp dynoed ever for that supercharger.

Some of the parts in the article (as well as the companies who made them are no longer the same company or not there at all).
Indian Adventures being one of them.

SO IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR EXPERIENCE IN BOOSTING A STREET PONTIAC THAT MAKES 900 LBS/FT OF TORQUE AT 4800 RPM
GIVE LUHN A CALL.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 06-25-2019 at 09:56 PM.