Old 07-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Senior Chief

Default Replacement horn relay, 65 GTO

Does the green harness wire go to the battery terminal ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	515163  

Old 07-01-2019, 03:16 PM
Senior Chief

Default Adapter .

Is there an adapter I could use on the relay to accept the female harness ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	515164  

Old 07-01-2019, 05:02 PM

Just working on mine yesterday. Your colors look different though. The green wire on yours in Dark Green on mine. Either way that would go to the bulkhead and eventually makes its way to the horn contact/switch. When that wire gets grounded it lets the relay send power to the horns.

The twin leads on the left are black on mine and each goes to one horn. The connector behind those front two on the relay gets the hot (brown?) lead. I don't see that wire on yours,

I think you'll need to make pigtails up from scratch to use that universal relay. I wouldn't use the universal relay you have pictured. The Ames M233 1965-67 HORN RELAY (AP) is the same price and will accept the factory connectors.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:13 PM
Senior Chief

Yes, mine has the brown wire as well, just hard to see.

Tried to get relay from our host today, little fuse is on back order, guess I'll get. Their other one.
Thanks.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Replacement horn relay, 65 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny99 View Post
Just working on mine yesterday. Your colors look different though. The green wire on yours in Dark Green on mine. Either way that would go to the bulkhead and eventually makes its way to the horn contact/switch. When that wire gets grounded it lets the relay send power to the horns.

The twin leads on the left are black on mine and each goes to one horn. The connector behind those front two on the relay gets the hot (brown?) lead. I don't see that wire on yours,

I think you'll need to make pigtails up from scratch to use that universal relay. I wouldn't use the universal relay you have pictured. The Ames M233 1965-67 HORN RELAY (AP) is the same price and will accept the factory connectors.

Don’t want to send this thread way off course but I have a question for you.

Does there need to be a constant 12v power wire to the relay? If I’m understanding it correctly, it would.

The reason I ask is I got a replacement wiring harness that was made to use an internally regulated alternator.
It doesn’t have the wire that I think can from the voltage regulator. Any thoughts on were I should pick up power for it?

Thanks
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 07-02-2019, 02:44 PM

It would use a constant 12 volt source. Not sure where it currently gets it's juice from, my car is at the exhaust shop.

Think there is a bulk splice on the alt/starter harness running alongside the Left side valve cover.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Johnny99. I’ll have to find a convenient place to pic up 12 v power for it. I’m not sure where M&H thought it should come from. I guess I should call and ask.
Thanks again
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro