Old 07-30-2019, 12:56 PM
Senior Chief

Angry Body mounts, Prothane (67 GTO coupe)

I'm trying to follow instructions on which bushing to use in what spot; literally impossible. P/N 7-121 Prothane
#1 spot is the radiator support in tech support instructions, if so then #7 will be empty as there isn't enough bushings to install that way. As per Pontiac #4 and #5 were just "rubber hockey pucks" no bolts, I installed bushings, sleeves and bolts without an issue. (This in itself would cause no bushing to be available for #7 spot)
#2 spot on frame, in instructions says no bushing goes there, not so; it does require one. This spot to me is #1 as it is a body bushing and not a rad support one.
Two calls to Tech Support were useless! The are all correct size for the vehicle; even though there wouldn't be enough of them.

Question is: If anyone has used these P/N 7-121 have they had issues and if not what in the heck did you all do to complete the installation??

7-121 kit is for 67 Chevelle as no one makes any kit for the GTO.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:00 PM
Suspended

You think you have an issue now, wait until you are done and driving it.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not to sure about 67s but the 68-72 Chevelle coupes do not use the same amount of bushings as the BOP cars do.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 07-30-2019, 08:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is what my 64 has at the core support.Of course not these as a replacement, but the originals that are still in there. I havent replaced them yet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Pontia...71d3a378c45f08

Maybe you need to buy some of these here...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-67-Pon...MAAOSwLopaoY3l

Not sure if the round ones would be correct.As I said , my 64 has the OE parts and they look like the square ones.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Sq Rad Support Bush;

They can be sourced on line from a few different vendors.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 02-25-2024 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I changed the body bushings on our '66 and there were 12 of them, not including the rad support. What a job. They all had bolts and they were a nightmare to get out. I've never seen where the bushings go in without bolting.

The chassis manual showed square bushings at the rad support, but the original installed ones were round. I guess it depends on the plant (ours was Kanasas).
We had no issues with the car after replacing them.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My '67 "A" body had unbolted rubber pads on top of the forward portion of the frame wheel arches over the axle. I was replacing the bushings and was surprised to find those...needless to say, I just left those in since I had no replacements.

george

Old 08-01-2019, 05:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've run into more then one assembled with a mix of bolt through and solid mounts (PUCKS)
It isn't mentioned in any of the assembly material, so it may have been a plant to plant item?
Also of note is most of the factory lit doesn't include the rad support

Old 08-01-2019, 01:18 PM
Senior Chief

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
I've run into more then one assembled with a mix of bolt through and solid mounts (PUCKS)
It isn't mentioned in any of the assembly material, so it may have been a plant to plant item?
Also of note is most of the factory lit doesn't include the rad support

Jeff,

This is what I was telling the Prothane tech support! I was going by the info you show, #1 is the first body mount.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:25 PM
Senior Chief

Chevelle and BOP body mounts are different; Chevelles has one larger mount at the firewall whereas BOP had two sized the same as the others in that location. I had some made from Delrin for my car. ABC Performance offers aluminum mounts (the height for Chevelle which is shorter than BOP) in the correct number of positions if you’re interested.