THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I liked it when the Pontiac Southern Nationals had ONE entry fee, and it covered the car show on day 1 and the drag races on day 2. It encouraged guys to try both.

My '67 Firebird was really rough looking, and I really did not car. It ran great, and THAT was my focus. So, for giggles, I put it in the car show and checked off the "do not judge" option. I wrote on the tech card, "Don't laugh at me in the car show, and I won't laugh at you on the dragstrip."
Those years of Southern Nationals were great. I did win some show awards but I wasn't going to miss the track. I did both and had a great time. I'll be back at PSN this year. Went last year. It's still fun but not anything like it was. I do enjoy the people with DAPA. All friendly folks and the hospitality is good.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter View Post
Those years of Southern Nationals were great. I did win some show awards but I wasn't going to miss the track. I did both and had a great time. I'll be back at PSN this year. Went last year. It's still fun but not anything like it was. I do enjoy the people with DAPA. All friendly folks and the hospitality is good.
Chris, I had extra appreciation for the guys like you, who would do both! I remember talking with you and Bryan at one of those PSN's. Fun times.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 08-13-2019, 10:39 AM
Senior Chief

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
I filled a whole trash can with them about 5 years ago.
I filled 2 trash cans about 2 1/2 years ago..

Seriously though, there are two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and THE DUTCH...

'71 GTO, 406 CID, 60916, 1.65 HS, '69 #46 Heads 230CFM, 800CFM Q-jet, TH400, 12 Bolt 3.55
'72 Lemans, Lucerne Blue, WU2, T41, L78, M22, G80
Old 08-13-2019, 04:19 PM

I must say, it bothers me that you guys are tossing your trophies in the trash. I keep the most prestigious ones, but the others can be donated to kids events, such as sprint car racing, midget car racing, Boy Scouts, Special Olympics for both kids and adults events. The event organizers simply change the top and engraved date and event placards. Everyone gets a different award, and they feel very special receiving them at an event. Some organizers will even pick them up.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 08-13-2019, 04:30 PM
Senior Chief

This is kinda along the same line. Out here a car club put on a car show enters there own cars and takes home about half the trophies. Where I come from you don't enter your car in your own car show you host a car show for other cars. That's me venting.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:50 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
I must say, it bothers me that you guys are tossing your trophies in the trash.
Give me your address. I got a large box I want to send you.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Sounds like some of the people around here.

Mine's better!
No, mine's better
Mine is faster!
No, mine is faster
Mine has more horsepower I'll never use.
No, mine has more horsepower I'll never use.
My car is 100% correct!
My car is more correct.
My checkbook restoration is bigger!
No, my checkbook restoration is bigger.
My girlfriend is bigger!
No, my girlfriend is bigger.

if that ain't the pot calling the kettle black, then I don't know what is....

Old 08-13-2019, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got a show coming up this week. It's invitation only, and takes place downtown. I've been fortunate enough to get an invite the last few years. During the show I'll hear comments from people saying their car should've been invited, or how their car is better than so and so, or you'll hear them picking apart a car they're looking at. Its sad.

My car is far from a show car, but it's presentable and people seem to like it. I find shows fun, and gives me a chance to look at other cars. I get ideas from seeing other peoples builds, and get great advice from some of the owners.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-13-2019, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...it bothers me that you guys are tossing your trophies in the trash..."

After TJ & I had won lots of drag racing trophies, we talked the track owners into giving us $5, instead of a trophy. Back then, gas was around 50 cents a gal, and less. So, I bought lots of gas with all that trophy money.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:45 PM

Well after a long day of hearing mostly Men bitching about not getting a piece of plastic, and trash talking not only others, cars but even some of the very guys they hang out with, I just go with the flow..... and walk away, and in some cases just don’t go back. I’ve been doing shows since 1994, some had judging of some kind, or no judging at all, and the car owners got participation awards. I’ve probably heard some complaining at all of them. I also know it’s a lot of planning and preparation, and work to bring a good show together. You’ll never make everyone happy. But I personally go to see friends, and new projects and restorations, or maybe be able to help someone with sources to get a project going or finish. I don’t win anything anyway.....the cars do.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-13-2019, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a few around here that get all bent out of shape if they don't win a trophy. I have some, but to me they're just dust catchers. If I don't win a trophy I don't mind at all. A lot of times I'll tell them don't even bother judging my car. It's not a show car, just a non original classic I enjoy taking out of the garage.

Tho I do need to start charging 5 bucks a photo for the photos that are taken of it. LOL The money sure would help pay for the work that needs to be done. In the 12 years I've had it it would have paid for a repaint. Then it would be just another GTO again. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 08-13-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Give me your address. I got a large box I want to send you.

You know what, I don’t even have it written down, when I’m ready to donate, I look it up on the net.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-13-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
There's a few around here that get all bent out of shape if they don't win a trophy. I have some, but to me they're just dust catchers. If I don't win a trophy I don't mind at all. A lot of times I'll tell them don't even bother judging my car. It's not a show car, just a non original classic I enjoy taking out of the garage.

Tho I do need to start charging 5 bucks a photo the photos that are taken of it. LOL The money sure would help pay for the work that needs to be done. In the 12 years I've had it it would have paid for a repaint. Then it would be just another GTO again. LOL

Yeah I’m getting to that point where the Do not judge sign will come out.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-13-2019, 08:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I liked it when the Pontiac Southern Nationals had ONE entry fee, and it covered the car show on day 1 and the drag races on day 2. It encouraged guys to try both.

My '67 Firebird was really rough looking, and I really did not car. It ran great, and THAT was my focus. So, for giggles, I put it in the car show and checked off the "do not judge" option. I wrote on the tech card, "Don't laugh at me in the car show, and I won't laugh at you on the dragstrip."

I LIKE

Old 08-14-2019, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Before cars i had a couple of dozen antique motorcycles. Most were mint, with several concours winning bikes. We would always take at least 6 to shows. It got to a point that it was almost embarrassing every time I was called to the podium. The last couple of years I showed them I didn't register any of them. We would put a placard stating display only. We got a lot of comments on why they weren't entered. I literally have box fulls of plaques and trophies collecting dust. I think that's why I have a whole different attitude when taking my car to shows.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Before cars i had a couple of dozen antique motorcycles. Most were mint, with several concours winning bikes. We would always take at least 6 to shows. It got to a point that it was almost embarrassing every time I was called to the podium. The last couple of years I showed them I didn't register any of them. We would put a placard stating display only. We got a lot of comments on why they weren't entered. I literally have box fulls of plaques and trophies collecting dust. I think that's why I have a whole different attitude when taking my car to shows.
But for the most part, bikers are a whole lot different than car people. I never heard a biker pick apart or put down another bike. Likewise, I never heard a biker boast about how great or how rare "their" bike is. Everyone has a certain amount of respect for someone elses bike as well as its owner. Something I find a rare commodity in the car shows.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
But for the most part, bikers are a whole lot different than car people. I never heard a biker pick apart or put down another bike. Likewise, I never heard a biker boast about how great or how rare "their" bike is. Everyone has a certain amount of respect for someone elses bike as well as its owner. Something I find a rare commodity in the car shows.

Very true! I’ve been to several bike shows, and never once have I heard people talking smack about another bike or it’s owner. I have seen a few drunkin brawls break out, but no bike smack talk. Lolol

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
HA,HA. Mostly true, except the bikes I have are all European mostly English. Whole different crowd. There was this ONE guy that had a Brough Superior. This is the holy grail of motorcycles, and his was pretty nice. This guy would literally sit on others, touch, climb over, open gas and oil tanks, you name it. BUT he would set up stanchions and plastic chains around his bike so everyone had to stay back 5 or 6 feet. If he didn't win a prize he would stomp off, and create a scene much akin to a six year old throwing a tantrum. Most every one at the shows knew him, and we would all knew sooner or later he would have one. Kinda became a running joke.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Car shows are lame. Dont mind attending them so much but I have far better things to do than take my car to one and show it.

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude
Old 08-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
HA,HA. Mostly true, except the bikes I have are all European mostly English. Whole different crowd. There was this ONE guy that had a Brough Superior. This is the holy grail of motorcycles, and his was pretty nice. This guy would literally sit on others, touch, climb over, open gas and oil tanks, you name it. BUT he would set up stanchions and plastic chains around his bike so everyone had to stay back 5 or 6 feet. If he didn't win a prize he would stomp off, and create a scene much akin to a six year old throwing a tantrum. Most every one at the shows knew him, and we would all knew sooner or later he would have one. Kinda became a running joke.
LOL! That is why I said "for the most part". I personally never experienced what you did but there was 1 time when I entered a show, definitely should have got something and didn't. As I was getting ready to leave the guy that won the class came up to me and said, "the next time I enter a show in the south, take off the NY license plate". Even he said I would have won. Yes, they are still fighting the war down there. LOL