THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:26 PM
Senior Chief

Default Venting about some car show guys

This weekend I brought my car to the local annual car show. It's a small show, maybe 200 - 250 cars with all makes. So I get the car parked and set-up my lawn chair. The guys on either side of me do the same. Quick introductions and then the trophy start talks from both of them. How many shows they go to, what they won, how big the trophies are, one showing pictures of the trophies on his phone, how people enter their car in the wrong classes, how some classes should have been split up, blah, blah. Both of these guys were 60+ and never during the entire 8 hours got up to go look at the other cars. Unbelievable. If they weren't so otherwise friendly, I would have moved my car mid-day. Maybe I'll stick to the "Cars and Coffee" events from now on.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They’re old and have big heads.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like some Mopar guys that I know.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When a stranger whips out his phone to show you pics.....that’s “ Your Sign To Leave”.... or ask him where the bathroom is...to get away fast ! Was Nevah a trophy chaser....and could care less

Old 08-12-2019, 08:49 PM
Senior Chief

oops. "trophy start talks" should be "trophy talk starts". No matter how many proof reads I do, there's always some mistake. LOL.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Sounds like some Mopar guys that I know.

I Have a Mopar Buddy like that, he's complains just about at every show if he does not win something.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:52 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue View Post
This weekend I brought my car to the local annual car show. It's a small show, maybe 200 - 250 cars with all makes. So I get the car parked and set-up my lawn chair. The guys on either side of me do the same. Quick introductions and then the trophy start talks from both of them. How many shows they go to, what they won, how big the trophies are, one showing pictures of the trophies on his phone, how people enter their car in the wrong classes, how some classes should have been split up, blah, blah. Both of these guys were 60+ and never during the entire 8 hours got up to go look at the other cars. Unbelievable. If they weren't so otherwise friendly, I would have moved my car mid-day. Maybe I'll stick to the "Cars and Coffee" events from now on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
They’re old and have big heads.
Sounds like some of the people around here.

Mine's better!
No, mine's better
Mine is faster!
No, mine is faster
Mine has more horsepower I'll never use.
No, mine has more horsepower I'll never use.
My car is 100% correct!
My car is more correct.
My checkbook restoration is bigger!
No, my checkbook restoration is bigger.
My girlfriend is bigger!
No, my girlfriend is bigger.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I filled a whole trash can with them about 5 years ago.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They were complaining at the car show, you're complaining here on the board. Not much different.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
They were complaining at the car show, you're complaining here on the board. Not much different.
oh, it's different!

Old 08-12-2019, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The most annoying people are the people that complain about other people .... oh wait, that's exactly what I'm doing.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:20 PM

Bet you guys can’t top this....there’s a guy with a cherry red 69 Camaro convertible, was at a show for kids cancer, and it was awards time. He was called up for a third place award, stomped up there, grabbed the trophy, and threw it in the trash can next to the trophy table. I’ve been told he takes his smaller trophy’s and disassembles them then makes really big ones with them. yesterday at a show, he stomped up to get his award, grabbed it, didn’t even shake the guy’s hand, and wouldn’t stand for a second to get a picture taken. he’s been asked not to come back to several shows because of his drama and bashing of others who beat him. talk about drama. I actually have a friend with a 67 chevelle, who complains it doesn’t win, but she never walks around and votes for others cars.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about him, I find him making an A$$ out of himself quite amusing.

Yeah there’s drama, it’s a simple fix....just don’t go back, or just stick to cruises. I could write a book about this very subject, I have seen and heard it all, including others who won’t park next to me because they claim I always win. Lololol. That is not true.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 08-12-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
The most annoying people are the people that complain about other people .... oh wait, that's exactly what I'm doing.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 08-12-2019, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I liked it when the Pontiac Southern Nationals had ONE entry fee, and it covered the car show on day 1 and the drag races on day 2. It encouraged guys to try both.

My '67 Firebird was really rough looking, and I really did not car. It ran great, and THAT was my focus. So, for giggles, I put it in the car show and checked off the "do not judge" option. I wrote on the tech card, "Don't laugh at me in the car show, and I won't laugh at you on the dragstrip."

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 08-12-2019, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to have a 63 impala SS that was perfect in every way and even had a Richmond 6 speed in it back in 2003 when they first came out. Never won a trophy and this car was MINT. I had a 61 C60 10 wheel car hauler that was in great shape but wasn’t perfect. Drove by a church car show one day while I was driving it and decided to pull in to look at the field of about 30 cars. Stayed about 45 minutes, talked to some people I knew and then walked back to the truck which was parked way off because of its size. There in the seat was the people’s choice award. Only trophy I ever won

Old 08-13-2019, 03:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a guy that I see at a local cruise on a regular basis. Nice '69 SS 396. He's the type that, while nice enough, NEVER looks at any other car. He will bend your ear about his car if you get within 5 feet of it. Last time I talked to him, he pointed out some little A/C doodad or clip that he'd gotten somewhere and proceeded to tell me how long he had to search for it, how much he had to pay for it and how I would never see another one on any car at any show, yada, yada...

Old 08-13-2019, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I go to shows because 1. I like to drive my car, and it gets boring running around the block every weekend 2. I love old cars and find it enjoyable to look at the other cars there 3. Meet up with friends I only see at car shows.
Honestly, if I won a trophy I would be ecstatic! , however that is not in any of the above reasons I attend. The very first show/cruise night I took my car to, I won a trophy. I was excited, and flattered, and it was an unexpected bonus. However, over the last 3 years and many shows and events I have yet to be invited back to the trophy stand. I have won a few door prizes, which to me is just as good. Most of the local shows have the same cars, which gets a little stale after awhile. I know some of the people and also know of a few that are 'hunters'. I have heard the complaints about judges not knowing, or friends always win, etc. Doesn't really bother me, refer back to the 3 reasons I attend. Last couple I went to I didn't even clean my car, just a quick dust off (may be the reason for no trophy ). Will be heading to the SVGTO show this weekend, no expectations, but its about a 2 hr ride so it should be fun.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I liked it when the Pontiac Southern Nationals had ONE entry fee, and it covered the car show on day 1 and the drag races on day 2. It encouraged guys to try both.

My '67 Firebird was really rough looking, and I really did not car. It ran great, and THAT was my focus. So, for giggles, I put it in the car show and checked off the "do not judge" option. I wrote on the tech card, "Don't laugh at me in the car show, and I won't laugh at you on the dragstrip."
I like that too. I do not normally attend the show only type shows. If it doesn't have a swap meet, or some sort of activity along with it I don't see the allure.

I think many are intimidated by looking foolish, so I really like when the show operators do what they can to make things like auto cross or drag racing accessible and put people at ease.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 08-13-2019, 09:25 AM
Senior Chief

On this past Sunday we had our local church picnic / car show. I worked it parking cars and my wife worked the registration tent. Show opens at 8, got there at 6 and cars were already parking themselves. Over the next 10 hours I heard a whole lot of complaints. For the most part the people are great and make the day fun. It is the biggest fund raiser for the church for the whole year. We will do it again next year.
After the event we all get together, over drinks, and compare stories.
.I did come home with a trophy for my Solstice in the sports/ foreign class. I only took it along to boost the numbers total.

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
Old 08-13-2019, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Never owned a show car. But, I like to go to our local show. It is a chance to visit with all the area Pontiac guys, which are very few.

I usually make one round, & check out any of the non-Pontiac vehicles I'm interested in. I also like the '50's, '60's & early '70's "oldies" they play. I've read here that LOTS of guys hate the oldies. But hey, like it or not, that's the music we were listening to, back when those old Musclecars were roaming the streets. Later heavy metal, rap, etc, does not relate to old cars, IMO. In fact, if they played heavy metal or rap at local shows, that alone would keep me away. Can't stand it.

A win depends on who the judge is. So, out of the same field of cars, winners will vary, at different area shows.

We sometimes take pics of the Pontiac guys who win trophies, and post 'em, on various sites.

I prefer racing. But, since I haven't been able to do that very much, in later life, I enjoy an occasional show.