THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A paper currently being promoted by a New York university calls on society to consider the rampant “sexual exploitation” of dairy cows by the milk industry in order to “fully fight gendered oppression.”

Specifically, the author compares cattle insemination to “rape” and the milking of cows to “sexual abuse.”

Oh those meanies !

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 08-17-2019, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
... affects our epigenetics.
You tell'em Rohrt !
Nobody's getting in my epigenetics drawer - some things are still sacred.
dammit

Old 08-17-2019, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless Burger King has some sort of exclusive on a method the other fast food chains will 'jump on the bandwagon' soon and push it like flies on stink.

It's marketing. Somewhat related, take notice of TV commercials with men, just about every one now has a unshaven man in it with a 10-day beard stubble, or a short beard. Monkey see monkey do !

Old 08-17-2019, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
Unless Burger King has some sort of exclusive on a method the other fast food chains will 'jump on the bandwagon' soon and push it like flies on stink.

It's marketing. Somewhat related, take notice of TV commercials with men, just about every one now has a unshaven man in it with a 10-day beard stubble, or a short beard. Monkey see monkey do !

They must have copied me then. I started growing a beard 50 years ago, and have only shaven it off once in that 50 years...…….

The vege burger started being sold in 1969 so vegetable based burgers have been around 50 years. They just keep working on them and making them closer to meat.

Do you people give any thought to all the antibiotics that the food animals get injected with regularly? How about the hormones they get fed through their lives? The FDA sanctions that stuff and we humans eat a good deal of it in the food chain. It affects our health too.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 08-17-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Burger King is actually pretty late to the game.

The restaurant Momofuku Nishi in New York, owned by David Chang, began serving the Impossible Burger in July 2016. In October 2016, the Impossible Burger became a standing menu item in selected additional restaurants in California, such as Jardiničre and Cockscomb in San Francisco, and Crossroads Kitchen in Los Angeles. The Michelin-starred restaurant Public, operated by Brad Farmerie, began serving the Impossible Burger in January 2017.

In March 2017, Impossible Foods announced it would build its first large-scale plant in Oakland, California to produce 1 million pounds of plant-based burger meat a month. In the first half of 2017, the Impossible Burger debuted on the menu of multi-unit franchises including Bareburger in New York City, Umami Burger in California, Hopdoddy in Texas, and 33 & Melt in Florida. In April 2018, White Castle started serving Impossible Burgers. The partnership with White Castle eventually expanded to include all 377 of its locations.

By July 2018, two years after its debut in New York, the Impossible Burger was available at about 3,000 locations in the United States and Hong Kong. By the end of 2018, 5,000 restaurants across all 50 of the United States included the burger on their menus.

In April 2019, Burger King began test marketing an Impossible Whopper using the patty at locations around St. Louis. Later that month, the company announced plans to roll out Impossible Whoppers nationwide before the end of the year.

Other products
In May 2019, Little Caesars began testing the Impossible Supreme pizza in Florida, New Mexico, and Washington state. The pizza features Impossible Foods’ first plant-based sausage product, which CEO Patrick Brown claimed had involved the development of 50 prototype sausage products before Little Caesars began offering it to the public.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no clue on the fake meat thing. I have just noticed BK is advertising it a lot on TV, and we know others will follow VERY soon on TV.

Regarding the beard thing, years ago I have grown a REAL beard. Nothing against them. What I'm referring to is the 'I think it's cool' stubble look some consider a beard. To each his own. But again, regarding marketing.... once started by one company in a TV ad the others piled on. Monkey see monkey do. With very few exceptions EVERY ad that has one or more men featured in it has at least one with stubble on his face.

Soon it will be a man bun, duckface and no socks

Last edited by Steve C.; 08-17-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It's marketing.
Yup. A&W launched their Beyond stuff a full year ago. It sold out, and that caused a buzz. People wanted to try it BECAUSE it sold out. Reading how the Impossible stuff just did the exact same thing actually made me laugh out loud. There is no way BK wasn't paying attention to the competition. 'You can't have it' makes most people want it even more.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:38 AM

Ok I may not make any friends with this one...

I have been a Vegetarian for 28 years and Vegan for the last 5 , when I was asked in the 90s is I was Vegan of Vegetarian I used to crack laughing and say " No ,Im not one of those crazies, I still eat dairy and eggs "...

Well 25 years later I became crazy I guess, cuz I eat plant based only diet and dont wear anything coming for animals. ( I buy recycled leather for my motocycle racing suits since the AMA will not accept rider wearimg anything else than leather during events.)

According to the UN Statistics , the plant based food movement is the biggest one since the late 60s social movement. You dont have to embrace it but its happening no matter what. They report that over 28 percent of the global population under 30 years old are either vegan or vegetarian.

There is nothing wrong with plant based diets actually its the Only diet that doesnt try to sell you something...You all eat plant based already to various degrees. The idea behind veganism is not supporting animal abuse, anguish and suffering, even free range animal will have to die to satisfy our taste for meat. Something that is unecessary if you ask me...

Im not a fan of processed foods, vegan or not and that fake meat stuff , real cheese or blue popsicles are just not my thing...I try to eat stuff that grow on trees and in the ground. I come from the farming business and believe me I cut the throat of my fare share of chicken and other living things... I just dont want to be part of this BS anymore. It will not kill the farming business just change it , and the ability to adapt will be key for the farmers in the future...

And I beleive in the future ✌

Old 08-18-2019, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
I went to a Burger King recently for the first time in years, and it was awful.

Typical corporate think, it looks like. "We're selling less burgers because this new generation doesn't eat meat." No - you're selling less burgers because your food has turned into crap!

20 years ago, they had decent grilled chicken sandwiches. I was at an airport Burger King about 10 years ago, and asked "Do you have any chicken that isn't deep fried?" the response was "Well, how are we supposed to cook it, then?"
Same amount of fat, saturated fat and 10% more sodium than the regular one.

So what was the point? It's not healthier.

I'm all for veggies but when they are all covered in junk and processed to the point of making them unhealthy? What good is it?

Old 08-20-2019, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just got home from a "gourmet" hamburger shop called Red Robin. Not sure if they are a national chain but they serve all kinds of big burgers and fries. Actually taste good. Anyway, on a tent card on every table was the newest offerings. ANY Red Robin gourmet hamburger could be ordered instead with the Impossible Burger substituted for the beef patty. For ONLY $3.50 EXTRA, fake meat can be yours!!. My wife and I were chuckling about this while we waited for our real hamburgers and I offered the following. Imagine walking into a Pontiac dealer in 1966. The salesman walks up and says I can fix you up with that red GTO over there with the parchment interior, 4-speed, tri-power, rally 1's and red lines. OR FOR ONLY $2000.00 MORE, you can drive home in this 4-door Tempest, brown with a black bench seat interior, 326 2bbl, 2 speed auto, and poverty hub caps. Which will it be buddy?

Old 08-20-2019, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i love red robin....

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 08-20-2019, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From 2011
Lab-Grown Burgers: Would You Eat One?

https://blogs.sierraclub.org/greenli...e-burgers.html

Old 08-20-2019, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Just got home from a "gourmet" hamburger shop called Red Robin. Not sure if they are a national chain ...
39 states, and 2 provinces.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It sounds like a meat substitute, like a dildo

Old 08-20-2019, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The last sentence in the 2011 article SteveC cites about lab made meat reads:

Quote:
" Is that any more unnatural than stuffing chickens into a slaughterhouse and pumping them full of hormones and antibiotics? At the very least, in vitro meat is food for thought.
Anyone think "NATURAL" meat pumped full of that crap is better for you? Unless you're buying organic meat (which is much pricier, and you're not going to find it a restaurant) you're getting meat with all those lab products in it anyway. Antibiotics and growth hormones don't come from natural organic sources, they're made by pharmaceutical manufacturers......LOL

The last 2 times I ate at BK I had the impossible meat, and today I had real beef, the real beef didn't taste any better to me than the IM did.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 08-20-2019, 10:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It is time to consult the great philosopher, Red Green: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob9OtJk1j2Y

Old 08-20-2019, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not much hunting going on in burger chains these days...……..

1984 Grand Prix

Old 08-21-2019, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No Hormones Added
Despite what you may hear, no artificial or added hormones are used in the production of any poultry in the United States. Regulations of the Food & Drug Administration prohibit the use of such hormones. No such hormones are used. So any brand of chicken can be labeled “Raised without hormones” or something like that. However, any package of chicken with that type of label must also have a statement that no hormones are used in the production of any poultry.

Antibiotics
Finding ways to raise chickens without any antibiotics is the latest example of an industry committed to innovation, producing a wide range of chicken products for a wide range of consumers.

The administration of antibiotics is only one FDA-approved tool to keep chickens healthy. It is not a silver bullet. Companies use a variety of management tools to keep birds healthy including: more individualized nutrition plans; the use of probiotics and vaccines; barns with better air circulation and temperature controls; and additional training programs and education efforts for farmers and service technicians.

But just like people, chickens sometimes get sick, and treating illness is a responsible part of animal care. When this happens, farmers work with animal health experts and veterinarians to determine if an antibiotic is needed.

A “No Antibiotics Ever” or “Raised without Antibiotics” label is typically only one of a company’s product lines. Some flocks on a no antibiotic program may get sick, just like other flocks, and some have to be treated with antibiotics. These flocks that have been treated with antibiotics are no longer eligible to be marketed as “No Antibiotics Ever” or “Raised without Antibiotics.” A no antibiotics program is not a magical program for producing disease-free birds. Rather, it’s a program which intends to raise birds without antibiotics and labels those which are successfully raised without antibiotics as such. Those chickens that must be treated with antibiotics are labeled with another designation.

Even if a chicken is given antibiotics in the course of its life to treat or prevent disease, the bird must go through a withdrawal time before leaving the farm. In addition, FDA and USDA have extensive monitoring and testing programs to make sure that food at the grocery store does not contain harmful antibiotic residues.

Last edited by Steve C.; 08-21-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve C, and beef cattle are no hormones ever, nor no antibiotics either? I thought the post was originally about beef vs plant based simulated beef. Just wondering how the chicken wiggled in here.

I really don't care one way or the other, I eat at BK as I've said, 5 days a week at least. I interchange all their entrees because I eat there so frequently. I eat, beef, Impossible meat, chicken, nuggets and grilled, ham, because I still have them make me the old "Yumbo" ham sandwich that is no longer on the menu. Sometimes I have a grilled chicken sandwich with ham and cheese on it. Its Burger King, and I can have it my way...…..

I've pretty much given up the fries and rings as I'm diabetic and the carb content of both is fairly high. I have a side salad most days with onion and bacon added to keep my blood sugar reasonable.

I've added as much as I need to, feel free to keep this going.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 08-21-2019, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote in this thread:
" Is that any more unnatural than stuffing chickens into a slaughterhouse and pumping them full of hormones and antibiotics? At the very least, in vitro meat is food for thought.

I only mentioned the chickens for interest. I have no specific anti fake meat agenda here.