THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Friend has a lead on an early engine, 64 GTO ?

All, A friend of mine has a lead on an engine that he has asked me to identify. He only has one picture for now. I replied for letter and number codes in the various places so more details are expected once I confirm what he is looking at.

Visually I am leaning towards a 64 based on pulley, intake, air cleaner, etc. If that is a 64 GTO engine carb (Carter AFB) to pan, manual bell housing/clutch/flywheel. What kind of value is he potentially looking at. Granted an unknown internal, why it was removed, etc.plays a big part but for big round numbers anyone care to take a stab ? For some odd reason this particular engine looks familiar to me, I may have passed it up quite a while back when the owner passed away and I looked at all his cars and tried to help his wife sell them off. I believe this to be an engine I seen under the work bench in his barn. I recall looking it over. Be a coincidence if it is for we live in different towns my friend and I.

What if it is non- GTO $ ?
Pieces and parts value ?

Trying to have answers for him when he reaches back out to me. Thank you.

Tim john---
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized952019081895084445951491.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	518195  

Old 08-19-2019, 04:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The chrome air cleaner is kind of a give away... if it's on the original motor.

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
Old 08-19-2019, 04:16 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartazoo View Post
The chrome air cleaner is kind of a give away... if it's on the original motor.
That is one telltale sign however, all the 64's I owned had a solid valve cover and only my 65's had a valve cover with a plug. Now that might mean nothing but it is what I have had and seen.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:20 PM
Suspended

Whatever it may appear to look like or whatever it may be out of only the block and head numbers will truely tell you what it really is. Anything else is purely speculation.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FYI,
The round hole in the valve cover (should be on LH side) started in January 1964.
Prior to that date the cover was solid.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
FYI,
The round hole in the valve cover (should be on LH side) started in January 1964.
Prior to that date the cover was solid.
My car was built in April with a block date coded 4/11 and I have the same valve cover on the left side on my KC built car.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
My car was built in April with a block date coded 4/11 and I have the same valve cover on the left side on my KC built car.
That sounds correct.

As I mentioned, January 1964 through the entire 1965 build the LH valve cover had a round hole for either a black rubber plug or a black rubber grommet for use with the California sold CCCS, #614 option.

Chris.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No doubt it's a '64 intake. GTO, ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized952019081895084445951491.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	518209  

Old 08-19-2019, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to clarify, my friend does not own a classic GTO, he has a 69 Firebird and a modern GTO. I believe his intentions are to find out what the engine is and if the price is reasonable, pick it up and re-sell it so that ends up back where it belongs, between the frame rails of it's orgins.

Tim john---

Old 08-20-2019, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As a complete core, if the oil pan is not all dented up, and if it spins over, I would think about $800. Its sitting on the floor and not in a car for some unknown reason. Blown up? locked up? Unknown to buyer. To make it suitable for driving, including replating of chrome parts etc, standard rebuild, I'd expect to spend another $4000-$5000.
So if he can pick it up for a few hundred $$ he can't go wrong. The numbers on the front indicating application could push the price higher, but with the widespread restamping of engines in the hobby, maybe not.