Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-28-2022, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 3.82 he ran off the trailer this year looked impressive. Car looked like it was glued to the track so I expect him to be right in the mix. Don't know what his class fast cars times are?

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 01-28-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
That's what I thought, a 70 painted similar to a 69 judge.

"Carousel Red" Just painted my Firebird that color. Really pops in the sun. Think it was carried both years 69 and 70.

Old 01-28-2022, 12:18 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoat65 View Post
"Carousel Red" Just painted my Firebird that color. Really pops in the sun. Think it was carried both years 69 and 70.
Orbit Orange was the 1970 color.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
No sure what qualifies as "real" but I guess that makes Jack Gadosh, for example not a real race team. I believe it took him two seasons to finally qualify for his first Pro Stock race. Bill Miller, ran Top fuel for decades and never won a national event or set any Top fuel records, but he arguably had a real race team. I think a race team with an unlimited budget to acquire the very best tried and true hardware and buy the best people to be on the team or contribute would fit your definition. There is always some luck involved in the equation. But then again, even having all these things still does not make you a winner or record setter. Danika Patrick's race career would be an excellent example who had it all and did very little with it.
Jack had used equipment and didn’t have qualifying power. You have well funded pro stock/pro mod teams that win within a few races. Same with many other heads up classes. These are the facts. Can’t compare round-e-round racing with drag racing. Danika had all of the tools but wasn’t a top driver.

Old 01-28-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeliac View Post
Orbit Orange was the 1970 color.
Yes Orbit Orange became the poster color for 70 but Carousel red was still available if so wanted on the order sheet. Wow this thread has gone all over the place...LOL.

Old 01-28-2022, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm still kinda scratching my head at the comparisons.

Professional classes like NHRA P/S have a cookie-cutter proven combo and if you have it, there is the chance of quick success. Buy a Bickel roller (or whoever is building the best chassis these days?), lease a KB engine, hire an experienced crew chief and go get a trophy.

Pontiac's don't have cookie-cutter proven heads-up combos. It's all experimental.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 01-28-2022, 03:57 PM
Boost Engineer

In Professional classes like NHRA, you might be better off at the end of the day to just run a Professional Engine (like a BAE or Noonan) and forget about the "Historical" Engines.

Same money at the end of the day but odds are much better for not destroying parts not suited for the application.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Isn't the port layout and valve locations in the Warp 6 head Tommy was running closer to a 481X than a Pontiac production head?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm