Old 09-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Bumper Bent? DIY Endura Repair Jig

Here's my latest project, I thought it may help some of you here with a similar problem of a bent Endura bumper.

Many 68-69 GTO Endura bumpers over the past 40+ years have suffered the inevitable bump into another car, tree or other obstacle giving you & your body shop a huge headache in getting it straight again. Years ago you could just go to your local junkyard, fight a few dozen wasps & pull a good used one off of a wrecked GTO. Those days are long gone so now there's a need to try to fix what we have.

The jig is pretty simple......I had a scrap section of 14"x6" approx 50" long "I" beam that is the main table. It could have been a little longer to reach both ends of the bumper but it's what I had so I used it.
I made a couple of bumper mounting brackets out of some 1 - 1/2" square tube w/a small piece of 2" angle iron welded to it for the top bumper mount. For the lower bumper mount I just drilled a 7/16" hole in the square tube. After bolting the brackets to the bumper I then drilled some 7/16" thru the brackets & the "I" beam. Believe me, drilling thru 1/2" thick I beam will sure put your drill bit sharpening skills to the test! I also made an extra hold down bracket for the top section to help keep it in it's original position, this is bolted to the furthest outside hole in the top steel inner structure.

My bumper had the typical outside lower section that had been pushed into the fender about 2" & it also had a good kink in the steel inner structure section just below the bumper jack slot. Once I had the bumper bolted to the "I" beam I used my 4 ton porta-power set to straighten the bent section. After supporting the center "beak" with a small bottle jack I placed the porta-power jack at the lower left part of the bumper between the steel inner structure & the bottom of the "I" beam, then I slowly brought then damaged corner up. I also worked the kink out of the lower steel inner structure as I was pushing the bumper back to it's original position, this will help the bumper keep it's repaired shape.

The jig itself took about 5 hours of cutting-welding-drilling to make. Straightening the bumper took less than 30 minutes. Measuring now from the bumper to the floor shows each corner is identical side to side where before the lower left corner was over 1 - 1/2" lower than the right side.

I have a couple of 70 GTO bumpers with similar bends, they will probably be a little tougher to do but I'll try them on this jig next.

I Hope this helps the bent bumper club!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great job, Steve...If you ever decide to make a vid of it, post it on youtube...sure helps to see all this in action...:-)

Old 09-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I should have taken more pictures during the process....I will on the next one for sure. I guess I didn't think it'd work as good as it did!

It shouldn't be too hard to find another bent bumper to practice on!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pics are good, but nothing beats live visuals of how it's done...;-)

No, finding bent Enduras is quite an easy task, indeed...

Old 09-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good idea and nicely done. I straightened mine out the cave man way. 400 4spd has a picture of it.
I think he'll post it if he runs across this thread.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Update on the DIY Endura jig.

I had a bent 70 bumper that I had picked up at a swap meet years ago, figured it was time to see if it could be saved.

I made brackets out of some scrap C channel to mount to the points where the original bumper brackets go. After bolting it to the jig I found the bumper had been pushed in about 1 3/4" on the right lower corner & the impact actually pulled the upper right corner forward by 3/4".

The red arrow here shows the buckle in the inner steel structure.

Once bolted down I put the porta power ram behind the area that looked like it was the original impact point making sure to push on the steel inner structure, not just the endura material. You need to push the bumper past it's original position a little (this is the "guesstamite" part!) as it will spring back some. Also a few well placed hits with a 5 lb. sledge while it's under tension will work the buckle out and help return the frame to it's original shape. The white arrow is where it received a few love taps.

After less than 15 minutes on the jig the bumper is straight again, both sides are now within 1/8" of each other & the buckle below the right grill is gone.

Buckled area below grill opening before & after.

I don't expect all bent enduras will straighten this easily but if they've just had a light nudge from the front there's no reason to not give it a chance at repairs. Hopefully this will give encouragement to those w/bent enduras, it seems like the hardest good used part to find for our 68 - 72 GTOs!

Now for the fun part, repairing the endura.......with some work it should look like my OO Judge's nose when I'm done with it. HTH.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NOW your just showing off...

good job..i need tofix 3 68-9sihave..i guess i need to make a jig...

Old 03-23-2011, 10:41 PM

Good Job:

That using your head - not just beating on it hammer or jack. With a little thought and the tools (jig) most issues can be resolved. Job will done

Sean

Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve v View Post
I should have taken more pictures during the process....I will on the next one for sure. I guess I didn't think it'd work as good as it did!

It shouldn't be too hard to find another bent bumper to practice on!

LOL

if youre willing to say......

meet up around petersburg, i'll be happy to let you "practice" on another?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Could be a nice side business!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn Steve, that's some nice work!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve- I probably have at least 10 enduras that could use some time on that jig. Are you working on "customer" bumpers yet?

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 03-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just found this...good design and nice job, Steve! Having met you and seeing the high quality of your work in person, I'm not surprised.

Unless Greg Reid had the Dodge truck pic in mind, the pic below might be the one he was referring to in post #5. I used it in a reply to someone I helped out a while back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cave-MAN method.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	239186  

Old 03-27-2011, 05:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Just found this...good design and nice job, Steve! Having met you and seeing the high quality of your work in person, I'm not surprised.

Unless Greg Reid had the Dodge truck pic in mind, the pic below might be the one he was referring to in post #5. I used it in a reply to someone I helped out a while back.
Yeah, that's the one I was talking about....but since you mentioned the Dodge truck pic, I'll throw that one in too...

One more....

Last edited by Greg Reid; 03-27-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JOHN View Post
Steve- I probably have at least 10 enduras that could use some time on that jig. Are you working on "customer" bumpers yet?
John,
I wasn't sure what the market would be on offering this service, one downfall may be shipping costs both ways.... these things are heavy!

After a couple more shakedown runs I'll see if there's any interest. I wanted to get a good data base of as many measurements possible from good damage free 68/69 & 70 bumpers so I'll know what to aim for on the more severely bent ones.

Now if you're heading to NC & wanted to bring some of those enduras with you....

Old 03-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve v View Post
John,
I wasn't sure what the market would be on offering this service, one downfall may be shipping costs both ways.... these things are heavy!

After a couple more shakedown runs I'll see if there's any interest. I wanted to get a good data base of as many measurements possible from good damage free 68/69 & 70 bumpers so I'll know what to aim for on the more severely bent ones.

Now if you're heading to NC & wanted to bring some of those enduras with you....

........or anyone else reading behind the scenes: have a set of glass fenders near Philly, PA needs to be picked up and delivered here. Then a standard 400 block here in NC to go back to upstate NY. Maybe a RA hood in MD and bucket seats going back to MD......maybe a few more.

$ Help with the trip.

Thanks.....Jeff

Old 03-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I feel lucky that the 70 endura Im in the middle of was sooo very straight.
but the bottom looked like someone used a shotgun on it,
Im guessing a few failed attempts at mounting fog lights.
Used Fusor 152 and so far so good.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Great job, There was a therad on py where they used a 4x4 with a large hammer on them from the fatory.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good thread. Have a tweaked 68 hideaway bumper and hope to pick up a few more this week.

Scott

Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve, Any chance you can post the dimensions of the jig so I can make my own? Unless you are doing some for others, I could ship a pallet down and back if that works.

John

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com