Old 07-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy 2002 GP Tranny problem.

My 2002 GP GT has developed a intermittent "slip" only on the 1/2 shift, car just hit 140K miles on it, when it occurs it feels like a missed shift, rpm spin up about 500 and hits the gear firmly, checked fluid, it's fine, and it doesn't leak a drop, I've never changed the fluid/filter on it, owned it almost 3 years,very nice well kept car when i bought it, Tranny guy says it probably a torn piston seal that activates the 2nd gear clutch setup, any chance a fluid/filter change is the problem?

Old 07-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to takid455

there are a few post on this. the trans is your car typicaly last about 110k and then it self destructs. I got 159k out of mine. my problem was I lost OD, then 3rd then 2nd. there is a bearing/ bushing on the inputshaft from teh converter that wears and the pressure in the trans decreases. When I desassembled my for giggles, not much of teh bearing/ bushing was present. I was quoted 1900-2400 to rebuild my trans. I installed a 54k mile unit for 350 and have been good for 13k so far. Your problem seems opposite of mine, but my be the same. You have to drop the entire craddle under the car to change the trans. I was able to suppend the engine in the car though. while not the best news, hope it helps.