Old 11-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Help 'decoding' a radiator tag

I found an approximately 1" X 2" tag on the lower passenger side of the radiator. The following information is on the tag:

303011 or 3030111

IF
AE FC

I would appreciate any information decoding this radiator tag.
Thanks, Greg

Old 11-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a picture of the tag
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rad tag br.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	71823  

Old 11-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Yea thats right, Harrison right?
That hose clamp should be at 6:00 o'clock not noon.
Later,
Brew

Old 11-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The tag didn't have a 'Harrison' logo on it that I could see.

Should the part number have 11 or 111 in it. It was hard to tell if the third 1 was just a mark or a number 1.

The package would have arrived today except that Fedex Ground doesn't delivery on Mondays. I'm sure it'll be here on Tuesday!

Thanks for the tip on the hose clamp. At least my original GM lower hose, complete with embossed numbers in the rubber is installed right side up!

Old 11-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 165th
I found an approximately 1" X 2" tag on the lower passenger side of the radiator. The following information is on the tag:

303011 or 3030111

IF
AE FC

I would appreciate any information decoding this radiator tag.
Thanks, Greg
Had to poke around quite a while before I finally found that radiator application in my MPC's, Greg!

Finally found it - application is for a 1974 Firebird, all 455's - including 455SD's - with the HD radiator option OR A/C. The PN 3030111 is indeed correct for that "FC" tag code.

Hope this helps!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 11-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster
Yea thats right, Harrison right?
That hose clamp should be at 6:00 o'clock not noon.
Brewster, I've run across a few very original Firebirds in some old salvage yards that don't crush any of the cars and they all had the tower clamp pointed at 12 o'clock like 165th's car.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hate to butt in but seems like a logical place to ask a few other 2nd Gen Harrison radiator questions.

The 4 core Harrison radiator from my 4spd '72 T/A has round flat type screw in plugs in the holes where tranny cooler lines would go in an auto radiator. I believe these to be original, as I've had this project & radiator for a lonnnnng time & had other what I believed to be original 4spd 4 core Harrison 2nd Gen radiators with these plugs. Also, the Harrison 4 core radiator I have marked to recore & go back in my '79 4spd car also has these plugs (would take a large flat head screwdriver type bit to even attemp to unscrew). Both of these radiators appear to never have been through a radiator shop.

Can anyone support my belief that the 2nd Gen auto tanks were used but were plugged at Harrison with these plugs for 2nd Gen 4spd use??? Realize original Harrison 68+ A-body 3 & 4 core radiators used a solid passenger side tank, as I have a wide variety of original A-body radiators.

Last, have a good friend who is doing a concours resto on his '73 4spd SD. What code 3 core Harrison would be correct for it? Would it also be "plugged"??? Going through all my Harrison radiators later this week & would like to pick out him the right one. THANKS IN ADVANCE..

Old 11-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lloyd, that is very helpful. Thank you very much.

How can you distinguish the '73 year from the '74 year based on the tagged information?

Old 11-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head
Hate to butt in but seems like a logical place to ask a few other 2nd Gen Harrison radiator questions.

The 4 core Harrison radiator from my 4spd '72 T/A has round flat type screw in plugs in the holes where tranny cooler lines would go in an auto radiator. I believe these to be original, as I've had this project & radiator for a lonnnnng time & had other what I believed to be original 4spd 4 core Harrison 2nd Gen radiators with these plugs. Also, the Harrison 4 core radiator I have marked to recore & go back in my '79 4spd car also has these plugs (would take a large flat head screwdriver type bit to even attemp to unscrew). Both of these radiators appear to never have been through a radiator shop.

Can anyone support my belief that the 2nd Gen auto tanks were used but were plugged at Harrison with these plugs for 2nd Gen 4spd use??? Realize original Harrison 68+ A-body 3 & 4 core radiators used a solid passenger side tank, as I have a wide variety of original A-body radiators.

Last, have a good friend who is doing a concours resto on his '73 4spd SD. What code 3 core Harrison would be correct for it? Would it also be "plugged"??? Going through all my Harrison radiators later this week & would like to pick out him the right one. THANKS IN ADVANCE..
Interesting observations, Roger. Can't add anything, 'cause EVERY Pontiac I've owned until my Sundance GTO has been A/T equipped.

Here are the radiator codes from my June '77 MPC:

As in 1974, the 1973 455SD cars called for the same radiator as the D-port 455's Even many 350 and 400 Firebirds used these same radiators when A/C or HD cooling equipped.

Standard cooling M/T: tag code "FX"
Standard cooling A/T: tag code "FU"
HD cooling or A/C M/T: tag code "FT"
HD cooling or A/C A/T: tag code "FW"

Old 11-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 165th
Lloyd, that is very helpful. Thank you very much.

How can you distinguish the '73 year from the '74 year based on the tagged information?
Refer to my reply to Roger's question - different tag codes altogether.

Glad to help!

Old 11-14-2006, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you!

Old 11-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In 1973 the lower hose clamp is down at 6:00 o'clock due to the over flow bottle and trans lines being in the way on the installation of the hoses.
The upper hose clamp is often seen at 12:00 through 2:00 o'clock and seems standard through out the years, and all seems correct.

However since the over flow bottle was installed after the radiator the question is when where the hoses installed? assuming with the radiator. What I've noticed in the field on the lower clamp is pointing down at 6:00 but anything is possible.

Last edited by Brewster; 11-15-2006 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lloyd, my Service Manual states the LS2 should have received the FZ radiator instead of FW. But, of course, might have actually changed when production of these cars started.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I thought I would add my pictures to the question.
'74 Formula, A/C, 4 speed.
3030109 is the original P/N.
IF is the 4 core tank on the drivers side.
CV is the manual 4 core tank on the passenger side (Greg, yours is an auto so AE is correct).
FA is the pick code (for assembly line personnel).
And, I believe, 156 is the actual 4 core config (center section).

Roger, as you can see, I have no plugged auto holes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	74FormulaRad1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	143393   Click image for larger version

Name:	74FormulaRad2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	143394  

Old 09-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
In 1973 the lower hose clamp is down at 6:00 o'clock due to the over flow bottle and trans lines being in the way on the installation of the hoses.
The upper hose clamp is often seen at 12:00 through 2:00 o'clock and seems standard through out the years, and all seems correct.

However since the over flow bottle was installed after the radiator the question is when where the hoses installed? assuming with the radiator. What I've noticed in the field on the lower clamp is pointing down at 6:00 but anything is possible.
The 1970 and 1971 Assembly manual shows the upper radiator hose clamp at 45 degrees from the top vertical hose centerline towards the drivers side which puts it at 10 o'clock position.It shows the bottom hose at the 6 o'clock position,both .74+/-.06 from end with that much hose left to the end. It shows the V6's hoses with the clamps in the 12 o'clock position.It also shows the upper hose clamp where the therm.housing is at 45 degrees toward the drivers side from the rear centerline of the thermostat housing,and where the lower hose joins the water pump 45 degrees towards the pass.side from the front center line of the hose when mounted to the pump. All 4 positions use the .74+/_.06 from the end of the hose for the clamps. This is seen clearly on page L30-13 of the assembly manual in the section titled "Engine and Engine items". I would guess other years are close if not identical to these two years.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post

72 T/A 4spd did not have auto trans cooler with plugs. This is the original rad to my 72 TA 4spd
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trans am.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	143434  

Old 09-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Agree with necdb... I've had '70 and '76 original HD 4-spd radiators that had a clean/no hole/no plug right side tank.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 09-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Agree with necdb... I've had '70 and '76 original HD 4-spd radiators that had a clean/no hole/no plug right side tank.
If you look at the picture I posted, you can even see that the tag shows a "CV" tank. Look closely at the tank and you can read the "CV" on the tank.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
If you look at the picture I posted, you can even see that the tag shows a "CV" tank. Look closely at the tank and you can read the "CV" on the tank.
Yup - same as the two I have. CV end tanks are not easy to find...

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 12-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Some times I like looking thru the old threads just to gain more knowledge......

The original Radiator in my 70 T/A has these plugs. I had it recored but they are the original tanks.