Old 07-22-2020, 02:42 PM
Suspended

Default Early AC kick panels

I've been having a discussion with another guy who mentioned the earlier style AC kick panels that didn't extend into the body opening to seal on LH side and had separate plate to cover. Anyone? There's a plate listed on ebay, I've never come across this type.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Plate? Where? This behind the stud for the parking brake mounting? Can you see plate? I have parted 1970 birds with AC that were built in Dec of '69 and haven't seen this. Could it be someone cut out the impression area where the vent would be?

Old 07-23-2020, 03:01 AM
Suspended

No idea. Here's the link that started it all. Naturally, this plate wouldn't even fit with the design of the kick panel on the rear. Anyone recognise what it's actually off?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/70-81-Fi...53.m1438.l2649

Old 07-23-2020, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not ever used on a F body, but now that I see it, I have seen it on older chevy Caprice.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:05 PM

Not on my '70. I made an aluminum block off panel to prevent smoke/slow fire better than the plastic kick panel flat oval panel if there's an engine compartment fire.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That area is part of the "flush and dry" and vent system developed by Fisher body. It "vents" to the cowl, and rocker, Not to the engine compartment. The cowl seal is there to prevent any suction into that area when moving.

I suppose things are different on a race car, with different thoughts on things like safety.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
That area is part of the "flush and dry" and vent system developed by Fisher body. It "vents" to the cowl, and rocker, Not to the engine compartment. The cowl seal is there to prevent any suction into that area when moving.

I suppose things are different on a race car, with different thoughts on things like safety.
Ya, race car kinda stuff is reduce possibilities of bad things happening to driver as much as possible. So think "worst case" like being upside down in a car that's smashed and door doesn't open while car filled with smoke and on fire while trying to get out of 6 point harnesses and crawl out of the roll cage while the aqueous fire systems are spraying fluid. If you have just a couple extra seconds before fire gets to ya it's huge. When Roger crashed over in Europe his block melted to a puddle, that image is always on my mind.

Thanks for the cowl vent tip but I'm well aware of how the air moves through and water drains on a stock car. Aerodynamics is also a hobby and my car has been modified a lot using modern approaches. So I happen to have a large rubber seal that prevents air from moving through the cowl openings to increase down force by using the high pressure area at the base of the windshield. The seal causing smoke in the cowl is one of my concerns should a fire occur. The front side of the cowl/firewall has had all unnecessary openings for HVAC etc. covered by steel sheet metal welded in, again to help the driver should something bad happen.

Everybody likes pics so here's one doing some aero testing with a customers car. Yes with permission to tape the tufts on and he wanted me to drive it around a while anyway after replacing the complete suspension & steering before shipping it back to him. '70 TA 4 speed with Sandalwood.