Old 09-03-2019, 01:25 AM

Default 8 lug drum cleaning

What the best way to clean a set of 8 lug drums?
Thanks guys
6-pack

Old 09-03-2019, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you talking cleaning, as in prep for machining and install?

Or - cleaning - as in road grime after the drum is in use?

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 09-03-2019, 08:37 AM

Without knowing what your intentions are, it's always best to start with mild cleaners (soap and water) before getting more aggressive.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:10 AM

Cleaning as in road grime after the drum is in use. Want to clean them up after a long time in storage. Soap and water has been done but they need more.
What would be the best for my driver?
Thanks in advance, 6-pack

Old 09-11-2019, 08:43 AM

If they are bare aluminum, you can get an aluminum brightener product from auto parts stores, you spray it on, scrub and then rinse. It is nasty stuff that contains phosphoric acid so you need to wear rubber gloves and eye protection. Here's the product at NAPA, but other stores carry similar products. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MCR1458

If they are the newer style that are painted black the aluminum brightener product isn't a goos choice as it will remove the paint. You may want to look at something like Simple Green or Purple Power, those products will also damage the paint if left on for any amount of time so you need to be careful with them as well.

Worst case, you can get them glass beaded to clean them down to raw aluminum. Don't use sandblasting as it will leave a finish that doesn't look right.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:50 AM
Suspended

Try a pressure washer... You could have your local machine shop put them in the tumbler over the week end.. I sand blasted a few sets and they turned out nice but they were painted.. I think they look and work best without paint..

What kind of car?

Old 09-11-2019, 09:52 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389 View Post
Try a pressure washer... You could have your local machine shop put them in the tumbler over the week end.. I sand blasted a few sets and they turned out nice but they were painted.. I think they look and work best without paint..

What kind of car?
LOL! I put '65-'68 drums on my '62 GP because I liked the painted drums better. Still used the '60-'62 trim rings and center caps though. And I had NOS '62 front drums as well as 20,000 rear drums on the shelf for the '62.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:47 AM

Thanks Stuart. I didn't want to ruin them by trying some thing that didn't work and damaged them.
Thanks a bunch, 6 pack.