Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Deuce 64 View Post
getting closer this was an easy car and should have been done a year ago but ....

working on the rear quarters decided to put on the lower patch panels .It had been hit at one time on the outside left rear. so I sectioned in a v shape piece ahead of the fender extension to get a good body line back then trimmed that to meet the repair panel.I also had to straighten the outer lip of the wheel house extension up near the tail panel . I'll smooth it out some more put some seam sealer on and with the trunk spackle paint it will be as good as new. I glued the the r p in two places along the wheel house lip and along the bottom of the wheel house extension . If you look at the trunk shot you can see where the panel adhesive oozed out to make a good bond and seal . I then migged in the butt joint and skimmed both sides with all metal or similar type product to sandwich the seam and prevent any moisture penetration .
Great Job! I used the same method on my 66 front fender patch panels only without mig welding the butt joint. That's a very strong repair and don't think you'll ever have a problem there.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

Just an up date I'm still chipping away at the 65
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2180.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	218439  

Old 09-13-2010, 12:15 PM

Lookin good... I'll have to update the board with some pics of mine as well.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don, I noticed you have two different wheel covers on your 65.How did it come from the factory? Deluxe or Wire? And is that a 64 or 65 up wire? I don't see any cooling slots? Keep up the good work. Larry B.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpop View Post
Don, I noticed you have two different wheel covers on your 65.How did it come from the factory? Deluxe or Wire? And is that a 64 or 65 up wire? I don't see any cooling slots? Keep up the good work. Larry B.
Larry I'm not sure what it came with nothing is marked on my phs as far as hub caps. (see # 19 this post ) I was just putting caps on to see which I liked better.I bought a set of 65 spinners that a guy claimed were good , but I got it shoved up my butt paid top $$ for junk I wouldn't put them on my car trailer. To answer your question on the wires they are 65 / 66 they have the slots I have 2 sets of slotted and 2 sets of 64s non slotted. I put a set of 64 wires on my 64 Cat but am going to take them off and put the original caps back on at some point. I bought 2 caps yesterday I thought were 64s but turned out to be 63s. There is a picture in the B body section and they are now listed on e bay. Don

Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

well the shell is finally blue again ,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP2193.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	219453   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2194.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	219454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2195.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	219455  

Old 10-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could be the rotation number for tracking through the plant.

Keith knows this better than anyone, but at some point the materials management people have to make sure they have all the parts in the house to build the car, or at least enough to drive it off the line until it can get finished and shipped.

They won't stop a job for an armrest or ashtray, but if the division doesn't have enough Tempest front clips, or engines, that's a problem, because that WILL stop the line. Once materials people confirm enough blue seats, blue steering wheels, white sidewall tires frames and steering boxes, etc, they sequence the job, and choose the order of the jobs to go to final.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that number would be the sequence number for that day's production, that body was #178 or whatever to go from Fisher to final assembly. Whether it was applied beforehand and sent to an intermediate collection point, or just marked as the day's 178th job, dunno.

I'd assume the situation was similar at GM to Chrysler and Ford when it comes to spacing the jobs. More complex or involved vehicle builds were never scheduled together, so that the line didn't get held up by difficult operations, or the repair holes didn't fill up to keep the line going. So there might be a stawag, a couple of coupes, a couple of sedans, a convertible, a few more sedans, etc.

An automotive plant in those days was an insane ballet, proven over many many years... how they did it... don't know, but sure glad they did.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:34 PM

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH! I want your '65. Very cool.

1965 Le Mans Convertible 326HO
1965 GTO 4 speed Convertible
1964 Olds 442 real!
1930 Model A Coupe (current project)
1927 T Roadster traditional style Hot Rod

All of these cars are heaps...but I like them!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well some 29 years after being last registered in SC the ol goat is coming back to life.
Last fall actually Thanksgiving time I walked away from it because I wasn't happy with the paint on the roof. I probably should have left it alone after the first shot, but I had two small tiger stripes over the back window that bugged the crap out of me. so I fogged those out and recleared it and the whole top cratered (fish eyed) so I sanded it down again and resprayed the base and got dirt in it. That was it . walked away from it until last month. Well I can't spray in the house and I needed to be doing something if this car was ever going to get finished.So I decided to do what ever I needed to do to get the motor running . I put in the dash harness heater box clutch and brake pedals steering column dash bezel ( 64 with the swirled aluminum I don't care for the wood grain ) Then the motor 4 speed shifter emergency brake and cables. Oil primed the motor dropped in the distributor and a gas line off the fuel pump into a quart container and rolled the starter. After a couple tries the old Tiger woke up I let out a woowhooo and my daughter in law comes running out in the garage to see what was wrong . Nothings wrong It LIVES again she's running . I sounds pretty stout but ,of course its straight out the manifolds . Just hearing the motor run was a big mile stone . It was supposedly rebuilt years ago and never fired.I did pull the front cover and intake and there were new gaskets and gears set etc . so I decided to take the gamble. I think we'll be ok . I'm polishing my exhaust and will install that next. connect the brake lines and bleed the system. probably put in the gas tank and set the windshield and rear glass . I'm kinda doing this back wards but I don't have a place to paint until the weather warms up. I'll just have to mask off everything now before I spray again . The shell is in color so the jams and edges are basically done I'll just have to blend to them.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok guys now don't laugh to hard but I had to do it. backed the old girl out of the garage on her own power and took a run up and down the drive way a couple times. That fed my desire to get get her finished. My wife snapped this picture on me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0655.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	243155  

Old 05-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks good Don. You and Charles(OldGoat 67) should be neighbors and do the "Driveway Drags" together. LOL You both are at about at the same point of restoration.... but he has his doors on. Good luck and keep the photos coming.

Hope to see you at the PY Show the 21st.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope to see you at the PY Show the 21st

I want to be there but I have two problems
I don't think this will be ready by then and it's the same weekend as our local clubs show and I'm the President but the key factor will be if the car is done . We have a Vice President that can run the show.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Crossing my fingers you get r done. And that's what a VP is for... when you have important stuff to do.

Actually you could move your show to PY's and make their's even bigger. And it would be a Cruise too. LOL

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-30-2015, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Decided to bring this post to the front again since I'm finally feeling a bit better and have actually been making a little headway . It's been a long time since I've been able to do anything much . Even when I picked up the 70 Bonne it sat downstairs for a long time now that is at BOCES hope the kids are working on it . Once I get the WS back together and in the car and it's movable on its own power ( I pulled the 428 why finish the car then do the motor swap, so hopefully when the WS is done I don't have to do the motor again ) I'll add pictures here again as I progress . I'll end up having to detail some things over again because it's been sitting so long again , fortunately the interior has been down stairs .

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but
they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a
status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,
which would include their own government." — George Washington

Old 01-30-2015, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm glad you did bring it up as I'd never seen this thead before. A '65 has been on my wish list since I was about 10 years old. May never happen and I regret all the years I let pass when I could have got off my...well, never mind...the way yours looked on the trailer would be my dream car. The PHS results are icing on the cake!
Good luck with it and everything else. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don, I forgot to ask. What plant was it built at?

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-30-2015, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg , Thanks . I've always liked the 65s . My first two were 67s then the 64 convertible in my avatar . then a couple 66s and 68s and finally a 65 . Blue slate with blue interior 4 speed car but just a 4v . I acquired a few more after that with a total of over 20 GTOs as well as several Pontiac A bodies and a few F bodies . Then life happened and had to sell most of my cars I hated to sell the 65 and swore we wouldn't sell the 64 and my 67 post. plus a couple other cars but most of them went. I mentioned in the post the other day I got to the point I sold my 65 parts I had collected because I knew I would never be able to afford another 65 . Then this car came along , a friend loaned me the money to get it ( he's been paid back ) I never asked I told him about the car and he knew I didn't have the finances and offered . We had done this before but never this amount and I was actually scared to do it because I was unsure myself how I would do it . A few months later our credit union had real cheap interest rates around Valentines day . They loaned me the money for the car and I paid off my friend now that loan is paid as well . So things do work out . I really tried to get the car done but health issues got in the way again . I've had a bit of a respite so I've been tinkering again . the manifolds I just finished are for this car as well as the tri power . working on the heads next . Once the ws is in and running I can concentrate on finishing the car . I've decided to put on new drip rails and belt line moldings . almost everything else is NOS or new reproductions . the only thing not are the wind wing frames , front bumper ( which is a nice original ) and grills . I've reworked and buffed all the stainless . so that's all wrapped up . I hope I can remember how everything goes , it's been a long time apart .

Gary the car is a Pontiac build .

Old 10-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A little update on the 65 . The 70 Bonne got in the way and took time and resources away from this but I have been ordering pieces as I can scrape up the money . I've got almost everything now to put the motor back together . Have the gasket set , rods , mains , rings ,timing set , tri power has been done , cam and lifters are on the way , need , cam bearings , oil pump , water pump , and trimmings : plugs wires , belts etc. then I can put it back together . My AM/ FM is repaired and working thanks to a member on the forum that had the Sams and forwarded them on to me . The pace is slow but there has been some progress . I may be moving some more parts that's always a good thing . That means I can get some more things I need .

Old 12-03-2017, 02:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sad to say I haven't done anything on this car its just sitting in the garage . I have the motor downstairs on a stand . Intake and carbs are done , exhaust manifolds are as are the heads . I just haven't felt like doing anything .I only had the cars out a few times . I've been driving my Impala SS to the Cruise ins I've gone too . I've actually sold some of the cars and am thinking about selling some more . It just plain hurts to work on stuff .

Old 12-03-2017, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It is great to see you post, Don!!!!!!!! Another winter is here. "Bill"!