Old 03-08-2019, 02:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just curious, not trying to be judgemental or anything. Any particular reason you're looking for the 4 dr hardtop style? Also, if you don't mind, what do you have in mind for an overall $ cost when all said & done? Seems like a lot more 2dr vs 4dr hardtops out there.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho60 View Post
Just curious, not trying to be judgemental or anything. Any particular reason you're looking for the 4 dr hardtop style? Also, if you don't mind, what do you have in mind for an overall $ cost when all said & done? Seems like a lot more 2dr vs 4dr hardtops out there.
Sure. I'd be happy to tell you why. I don't need another car to drive. I have a C6 Corvette convertible I only put 47 miles on last year. I spend lot of my time driving my '71 GTO and my '62 SS 409. Haven't had my '56 Chevy straight axle gasser out in I don't know how long. So for me to buy another car, I have to be able to relate to it. In this case, it's sentimental value. My father had a '57 Pontiac Starchief 4d ht and I just loved that car. So, I want my own. I really like the looks of the 4d ht. To me, it's very sleek looking. I have a large family and I like the idea of the rear doors. My kids and grandchildren can get in and out through their own door. I've been looking for awhile and nothing has really jumped out at me. I'm not in any rush, so I'm hoping for the right one to come along. Just recently I found one a few states away and I'm talking with the owner. So, I'll see where that takes me.
You're right. There are more 2d then 4d cars out there. As for a cost, not really sure. I've seen what appears to be some very nice cars starting out at about $18,000.00 and then going off into dreamland. I don't want to offend anyone, but there is no way in hell I would ever consider paying what some of these owners want. They are pricing them the same as a '57 Belair and that's not going to happen. From everything I read, the trifive Pontiacs are worth about 40% of what a comparable trifive Chevy is worth. There isn't a big demand for these older Pontiacs, so I don't know why some are priced the way they are. I should also mention, that the car I am seeking will be completely restored to originality and complete. I have absolutely no desire to do another restoration. Admittedly, I'm getting older and running out of energy and steam. I don't mind a little repair or cosmetics, but that's it. So, if something comes your way, send it along to me. I always like looking if nothing else, Carmine.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool. I'm a fan of 4dr hardtops myself, for the most part. (60 Ventura vista). Are you a member of POCI? Some times 57s like what you looking for show up in the Smoke Signals classifieds.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes I am a member. That's a great magazine. I read everything in it, Carmine.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:04 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
... I don't know why some are priced the way they are. I should also mention, that the car I am seeking will be completely restored to originality and complete...
It seems to me that you just answered your own question. If you ever "completely restored" a 1957 car, you must know that the cost very often exceeds its market value.

I spent over $27k and ten years of my own efforts to re-do my '59 GMC- and I've very happy with it. I wouldn't expect anyone to pay me that much, but then again I might start with a high "asking price".

Last edited by Jack Gifford; 03-09-2019 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
It seems to me that you just answered your own question. If you ever "completely restored" a 1957 car, you must know that the cost very often exceeds its market value.

I spent over $27k and ten years of my own efforts to re-do my '59 GMC- and I've very happy with it. I wouldn't expect anyone to pay me that much, but then again I might start with a high "asking price".
Yes Jack, I understand and know that it is expensive to completely restore a car. I've done several. I've never made money on any of them. I didn't buy and restore them for that purpose. I knew what I was getting in to. I never priced them for sale so high, that I was hoping someone would come along with stupid money and bail me out. You never like losing money on anything, but it happens. It's been my experience, that some are priced fairly and others are absolute dreamers. I would never entertain the thought of paying their asking price. I wouldn't even attempt to negotiate it lower. Bottom line, it's their car and I respect that. They can sell if for anything they like. It just won't be to me and that's ok. I know what something is worth to me and what I'm willing to pay. I always try to be reasonable in my assessment of a car. I know what goes into them. I don't want to short change myself either for the right car. Sometimes it can be difficult to find that balance. As I mentioned in another thread, I am in no rush. I don't need another car. My potential purchase is a want, therefore, I can be selective as to that. So, I just keep looking and gathering all the info I can. I try to be as informed as possible before purchasing anything. I'll see where this journey takes me, Carmine.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Do you have a picture of your current "candidate" that you would be willing to post? Always interested in pics.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Do you have a picture of your current "candidate" that you would be willing to post? Always interested in pics.
I don't yet. I'm still waiting myself to receive some. Once I do, I'll gladly post, Carmine.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Fyi, since you brought up the subject of tripower for 57's. There is a manifold w carbs for sale on the H.A.M.B. I think it's still for sale. Price was $400 or offer I believe.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Fyi, since you brought up the subject of tripower for 57's. There is a manifold w carbs for sale on the H.A.M.B. I think it's still for sale. Price was $400 or offer I believe.
If it's the same one I found, it's $500.00 or best offer. That site is hard for me to navigate for some reason. I did send the poster a message. If the carbs. turn open freely, I might have an interest in that. Even if I don't ever own a '57 Pontiac, it might be something for me to tinker with. Thanks for that lead, Carmine.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did you ever get any pics of the latest "candidate "? Always like pictures of these older ponchos.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

FYI, there's a 57 Star Chief 4dr hdtp for sale on Chicago CL. White w red spear and top. It's a builder from looks of it but might not actually be too bad. Price is $4500 I believe.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Did you ever get any pics of the latest "candidate "? Always like pictures of these older ponchos.
Yes I did. Waiting for more to come. Have a family illness and has taken much of my time. Once that passes, I will publish the pics, Carmine.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
FYI, there's a 57 Star Chief 4dr hdtp for sale on Chicago CL. White w red spear and top. It's a builder from looks of it but might not actually be too bad. Price is $4500 I believe.
It will need some work but it looks like a decent car.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/c...847178882.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1957 pontiac.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	508553  

Old 04-01-2019, 10:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just curious. Has your search for a 57 ended?

Old 04-02-2019, 06:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It has not. I still look at whatever I come across or someone sends me. Nothing has jumped out at me yet. Either they want too much in my opinion, or the car needs more work then I'm willing to commit to. There are a few big car shows/flea market/car corral coming up in my area, which I hope to make. I'm in no rush, Carmine.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think a reasonable price range should be for a nice driver quality car?

Old 04-02-2019, 01:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No, I don't mind at all. The model I'm looking for would be a Starchief 4d ht., so that has to be kept in perspective. I've seen some very nice ones that sold on line at different sites for $22-$25,000.00. One in particular I would have bought in a heartbeat, but someone beat me to it. That price range is where I'm at. Probably a little more then I want to, but I would for the right one. Part of the problem out there is that there are what I call alot of dreamers. I don't mean to offend anyone, but some price their car likes it's a '57 Belair 4d ht. Not going to happen. Pontiacs bring about 45% of what Chevys do for the most part. I'm not going to pay for their childs first year tuition at Yale. I've mentioned before, that I don't need another car. I have some right now that I drive very little, so I'm not lacking in that arena. This next car is a want, certainly not a need. I can afford to wait it out. If it happens it does, it not, that's ok too. I'll never lose sleep over it, Carmine.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There's one for sale in Smoke Signals (poci) if you haven't run across it already. 19k miles (?) Asking $21.5k. Phone 708-418-2384 (Illinois).

Old 04-09-2019, 07:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you. I do get that magazine and I didn't see it. Will take another peek, Carmine.