WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2008-09 G8 owners > G8 Interior Tech

G8 Interior Tech 08-09 interior tech discussion. Trim, dash, console related, etc

Old 08-01-2022, 09:52 AM
Senior Chief

Default Headliner Sagging

Last week I got in my 2009 G8 and found that several areas of my headliner were sagging down in both the front and back seat. The vehicle has only 35,000 miles and unless being driven is in the garage. Apparently there is a foam material on the backside of the fabric and it is deteriorating and allowing the fabric to separate from the actual headliner panel. I checked with two local trim shops and one has seen three other G8’s. Their fix requires the removing of the complete headliner from the vehicle, removing all the foam material and glue from the panel and glueing “new” fabric to the panel. They have the fabric in stock. Gave me a written estimate of $470. Said they will need to have car a couple of days. Second trim shop said they haven’t done one before and had to check on availability of the fabric. Said probably about $600. Checked with GM parts and they show two part numbers for the headliner, with and without sunroof. Without sunroof has been discontinued but with sunroof shows a price of $1,070. OUCH! Checked eBay and they wanted $615 + $180 for shipping for a used one removed from a G8 with over 170,000 miles. OUCH! The problem with buying a used headliner is the foam can be starting to deteriorate as you install it. Any other G8 owners encounter this problem?
Old 08-01-2022, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a G8 but my four door Silverado and daughters Camry have the same problem. Very common here in the Southwest.
I've been quoted for the Chevy, $400-600 to remove, scrap off foam and apply new material. That price includes removing the front seats for clearance.
In the meantime, tan colored thumbtacks work just fine.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 08-09-2022, 10:32 AM
Senior Chief

The headliner was sagging in the G8 I got a few months ago. They all do it with age. The foam deteriorates like you said and any used one will likely be just as old and likely to fail.
I removed the headliner panel from the car, cleaned it up, and glued new material to the backer like your upholstery shop recommended. I got some stretchy faux suede like material from Joann fabric for about $30 and 2 cans of spray adhesive from Home Depot for about $40 and fixed mine myself.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:48 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecorrell View Post
The headliner was sagging in the G8 I got a few months ago. They all do it with age. The foam deteriorates like you said and any used one will likely be just as old and likely to fail.
I removed the headliner panel from the car, cleaned it up, and glued new material to the backer like your upholstery shop recommended. I got some stretchy faux suede like material from Joann fabric for about $30 and 2 cans of spray adhesive from Home Depot for about $40 and fixed mine myself.
To get the headliner panel out of the car did you take out the passenger front seat?
Old 10-11-2022, 03:34 PM
Senior Chief

Sorry for the late reply, the site didn't notify me of your response. I did not have to remove the front seat, I just reclined it all the way back and it was enough. I might have had the back seat out though, I can't remember now for sure. I know I had the back seat out for something at some point.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:22 AM
Suspended

Much cheaper in Aus, and it's done in 2-3 hrs if fabric is in. One improvement is that they will wrap the edge of the fabric over the board, not trim it flush like the factory did giving an edge that can separate at. The board flexes, no seats need to come out.
Old 01-02-2023, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Want to sell that G8?

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief