Old 06-28-2019, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Custom Cloth Interior Questionr??

The pic is a sample from our sponsor for the Lt Blue Custom Cloth Interior for a 78 Trans am. Light Blue. I do not have any of the original interior to compare it to. The rough textured one is PUI, The smooth one is Legendary. Chris at Ames has been working with me to find out the difference between the 2 textures . He is even looking in the GM manuals and has not found out anything yet. Seeking experience/ guidance from the Forum here.

The smooth texture one looks like headliner cloth without the foam backing.

For those with the Custom Cloth interior, Can you provide insight which is right for a 78 T/A w/ Custom Cloth. If you have a 79-81 with Custom cloth, Is there 2 separate textures (center texture is different than the side bolsters?)? I saw a picture somewhere that may have been that way. Maybe that is the issue???

Anyways, If anyone can provide some feedback or pictures(would be great) of texture and if you have Light Blue cloth that would be even better!.

Thanks Much in Advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7416.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	515002  

Old 06-28-2019, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 79 with the light blue hobnail/lombardy cloth seats. The 79-80 had hobnail/lombardy, the hobnail being the seating inserts of course, and the Lombardy cloth being the surrounds.

As you know, the 78 seats were all Lombardy.

I don't think either of the 2 cloth samples you were given are "right". The Lombardy had a crushed velour look to it. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a correct reproduction Lombardy cloth available.

You could look for some New Old Stock(NOS), original material. There's a place named SMS auto fabrics that sells NOS original material. I haven't bought from them, so can't say how good they are. There seems to be mixed reviews. There may be other places that sells old un-used original material too.

But comparing your 2 samples to my seat material, shown below, the PUI looks closest. The second picture shows material that is underneath the upper seat back plastic panel, so it's in the best condition having been shielded from wear and sunlight. As you can see it has a little fluffiness and texture. The tan seat picture shows what I mean by the crushed velour look of the Lombardy cloth. Unfortunately neither of your 2 samples will give that look. The PUI has a texture, but it's a uniform texture. Looks like the Legendary sample has too fine a texture.

030 by grand73am, on Flickr
009 by grand73am, on Flickr
006 by grand73am, on Flickr
AA79GFDC010611G by grand73am, on Flickr

Old 06-28-2019, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Grand73Am, Hmmm, Definitely onto something. While my 78 is far from stock, I could definitely live with the design of the 79. It looks like the samples sent to me is the hobnail on 1 for sure. No Idea about the smooth one. It is not even close to crushed Velour look or feel.

Thanks Much!!!!

Old 07-03-2019, 01:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There was NO cloth headliner in a 78 TA......for ANY trim level......

They were ALL perforated vinyl...on a foam backed board.

You might want to give SMS a shot....for samples....before you purchase anything...