Old 08-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1968firebird455
Default 1978 Trans Am Current Market

I have been digging around the 1977 and 1978 trans am's for sale on ebay, clist and facebook market place trying to get an understanding of how these cars are valued based on condition and options. I think the market has come down due to an excess in supply. They made a ton of them.

I will grab some pictures this weekend but here is what it is: I have a 1978 W72 automatic car with hardtop. 29k miles, AC, manual windows, deluxe seats, mint black interior, 1 repaint in Solar gold that I consider driver quality. Rust free car with numbers matching motor and TH 350. Both motor and trans have factory rebuilds (with minor upgrades like stainless valves, arp rod bolts etch).

What do you guys think! $10k-15k car, $15k-20k, $20k+?

Old 08-09-2019, 06:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I sold a white 78 base motor t top car 3 years or so ago for 25 Car had 32k miles automatic car . If anything, their worth more. The car was original paint ,deluxe cloth interior, power windows, ice cold air. Good cars are not depreciating. I do believe however, we may be near peak shorterm value

Old 08-10-2019, 01:49 AM
Suspended

Interior and mechanicals can easily be replaced or changed out, but if it needs paint, that's a large investment on top of initial cost. Ignoring bodywork and rust, a fairly good condition paint job costs the same as a bad condition paint job, so if that's on the cards anyway it may not add much value to buyers who know this is something it still needs.