THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

View Poll Results: Spoiler or Not?
Yes, add a spoiler. 39 52.00%
No, keep it without one. 36 48.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2019, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
FWIW - I lived in Europe from 1974 - 1978.

This was the European performance vibe back then:

Vinyl tops weren't used over there and spoilers on performance cars were the norm.

As to some others comments that the look with the vinyl top and no spoiler makes it different from all the other cars - can't deny that it gives a different look.

But is different more desirable?

Not in my opinion - but it's not my car.
The second gen firebird was not designed in 1974! When this car was designed in the late 60's one of the objectives was to emulate the European vibe of a grand touring car. Think Ferrari.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
nah...

I'd suggest that a flat hood car with a spoiler seems unbalanced.
That's a better way of saying what I said.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:50 AM

I think the vinyl top looks good and sets it apart from other cars. I voted no on the spoiler though. Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Old 09-05-2019, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
The 70/71 Camaro spoiler was actually a short one piece, their tall three piece spoiler was dealer installed.
The tall center section actually interchanges with the Pontiac, so all they needed were some new endcaps.
Oops..that was a oversight on my part...I was talking about the '74 and later 2nd gen spoiler being more effective. I read somewhere that this was the spoiler that the Pontiac engineers wanted but the aesthetic design won out. Actually, I just noticed that AMC Mike posted the exact link I was talking about. http://www.2gta.com/featurei.html

Last edited by Greg Reid; 09-05-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as the vinyl top, I'm a fan. We've had several cars over the years with vinyl tops and with the right color combination they really set the car apart from the sea of other like cars.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Oops..that was a oversight on my part...I was talking about the '74 and later 2nd gen spoiler being more effective. I read somewhere that this was the spoiler that the Pontiac engineers wanted but the aesthetic design won out. Actually, I just noticed that AMC Mike posted the exact link I was talking about.
just to be clear, Pontiac used Chevrolet wind tunnel information to create the spoiler ect;
As I understood, Chevorlet got a little miffed, and during the 1970 model year some special order COPO Camaros were built with a slightly tweaked version of the alternate Firebird spoiler tooiling - which used the same centre section, and larger ends.
This became the larger Camaro spoiler during the 1971 model year, and only spoiler used from 1972-1973.

Here, let me find a link:

Quote:
In 1970 and early into 1971 the standard rear spoiler was a low profile, 1 piece spoiler. There was a very limited (COPO 9796) 3 piece spoiler patterned (or "borrowed" from) after the Pontiac Trans Am available in 1970. Few people knew of its availability. There were an estimated 500 Camaros equipped with the copo spoiler.
http://nastyz28.com/2gcog/spoiler.html

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 09-05-2019, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I vote no spoiler. I was going to add one to my 73 Formula, but decided I love the clean lines of the car without it. Plus pretty much every 2nd Gen you'll ever see has the spoiler (original or added).

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 09-05-2019, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Here, let me find a link:
http://nastyz28.com/2gcog/spoiler.html
Interesting...

Old 09-05-2019, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
The second gen firebird was not designed in 1974! When this car was designed in the late 60's one of the objectives was to emulate the European vibe of a grand touring car. Think Ferrari.
The second gen was on the market from 1970 - 1981. I picked a mid 70's Porsche because I frequently saw them on the autobahn when I was there from 1974 - 78 - and that was smack dab in the middle of second gen production.

I can only remember seeing one Ferrari while I lived in Germany. I spent some time drooling over it as it was parked at the time. Can't remember seeing one being driven.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default DECISION!

So many posted thoughts, my mind spun for a while! The voting has dwindled down, so can see it is as close to 50 / 50 as one could have been. I expected a definitive vote for spoiler yes for some reason. But all the posts really got me thinking from many points brought up.

I really paid attention to the looks missing something without a spoiler posts. I can see that take. Then I started hearing the spoiler looks unbalanced without a (scooped) hood posts.

I had to think over the unusual-ness pointed out of non-spoiler cars. Point. As time goes on, more get spoilers added, so they are shrinking in number, if anything.

Many pointed out liking the vinyl top. Looked at pic after pic of vinyl tops vs non. Found silver examples.

So right or wrong, we decided. Everyone’s ideas helped me a lot.

While spoilers look extremely cool, I think the identity of the car and unusual aspect are factors. The deciding factor was looking at 71-73 Z28 pics. They are big spoiler / flat hood 2nd gens. I think they do look imbalanced, and so do all the people that add cowl hoods. I decided on retaining the flat hood, so I think unusual and balance say: No Spoiler Decision.

Car will be no spoiler, flat hood, no vinyl top. After looking at tons of pics, I say non vinyl top is sportier. I am leaning to not putting the side stripes back on. It will look classier without. Also, will take the TA Formula exhaust tip suggestion! THANKS!

Old 09-06-2019, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Congrats on your decision.
I always thought the rear end of the 72 Birds looks awkward and "turned down" . The rear spoiler gives the car a completely and far better look from the rear. Its all subjective!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	519601  

Old 09-06-2019, 05:06 PM
Suspended

The car won't be original anyway. What difference does it make? Do what you want.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Spoiler all the way. They don't look right without one imo

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 09-06-2019, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
Congrats on your decision.
I always thought the rear end of the 72 Birds looks awkward and "turned down" . The rear spoiler gives the car a completely and far better look from the rear. Its all subjective!
that is a terrible picture... zoomed in, down low, with a fisheye effect.
You can make anything look bad if you want to.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 09-06-2019, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No doubt that was a tough call, even the poll was nearly 50/50. I say proceed with no regret. Should it start bugging you down the road, having another set of wheels on hand can change the very nature of the beast. And it's a casual swap for whenever the mood grabs you, the Honeycombs would still be the main set.

Weld Draglites/Prostars, Cragar S/S, aluminum slots, Rally IIs, steelies with poverty caps, whatever floats your boat. Decisions, decisions. I know. But this one's temporary. Bonus, you'll confuse the heck out of people who know the car. "I saw a car that looked just like yours last week, except..."

Old 09-06-2019, 08:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
that is a terrible picture... zoomed in, down low, with a fisheye effect.
You can make anything look bad if you want to.
Poop without a spoiler
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190906-204802_Google.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	519619  

Old 09-06-2019, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
While spoilers look extremely cool, I think the identity of the car and unusual aspect are factors. The deciding factor was looking at 71-73 Z28 pics. They are big spoiler / flat hood 2nd gens. I think they do look imbalanced, and so do all the people that add cowl hoods. I decided on retaining the flat hood, so I think unusual and balance say: No Spoiler Decision.

Car will be no spoiler, flat hood, no vinyl top. After looking at tons of pics, I say non vinyl top is sportier. I am leaning to not putting the side stripes back on. It will look classier without. Also, will take the TA Formula exhaust tip suggestion! THANKS!
Great call - you'll be happy with the result!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 09-06-2019, 09:10 PM

Default 1970 Esprit 400 for sale

Here is one for sale, a 1970 Espirit 400 2bbl. One of about 1100 produced.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...&jazoest=27953

Have yet to encounter one of these restored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Seems to be a consensus. BUT, I say NO spoiler and LEAVE or restore the vinyl top. I think these cars look great without one, they retain the European vibe they were originally intended to be. I remember when Vinyl tops were the normal on cars, so I like the look on this firebird, makes it classy. Easy for me to say being that I own a couple of Trans Ams, but one never sees nice Firebird examples anymore. We need more of them.

1972+ Lucerne Blue 4-door hardtop "what if" T-41 Le Mans Sport GT/Grand Am concepts. Equipped with future 3" journal "455 HO"/"what if" prototype "SD 455".
What if GM had continued production of the 1970-72 GM A body somewhere in the southern hemisphere?
Old 09-06-2019, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like these cars both with a rear spoiler and without. They look good both ways, they are just different looks. When I built my bronze car I left it spoiler-less because it was a 70 and the spoiler was not an option at the time. I liked the look. The guy who bought the car liked the spoiler, so he added it. His car, his call. I have no issues with it at all. It looks good either way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP9006.1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	519623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9008.2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	519624  

Old 09-07-2019, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A little late to the game, but here are two pictures of the Black Car with one being before restoration and the other after. The car was born with body side moldings and no rear spoiler, but at some point a rear spoiler was added. During restoration I removed the body side molding and returned it to it’s original no spoiler configuration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk