Old 09-17-2019, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1964 GTO Wood wheel option

Notice how the price of the wheel changed depending on what size car you bought (big car vs. GTO). The trim level of the full size car they deducted $15 off of what they charged you for the wheel.

$15 is nothing today but back then $15 was probably a good # of walking around money!

If I am reading this properly. Even at the price of, $39.27 on the GTO option cars, the wheel turned out to be an outstanding investment.

Almost like getting in on Microsoft stock early on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lemans Wood Wheel.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	520406  

Old 09-18-2019, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Is that a trick question?
No, not a trick question. I simply want to know what the original insert looked like. Was it burgundy or was it red on the perimeter? If burgundy is correct, I don't think '64 wood wheel owners have the correct piece available.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 09-18-2019, 11:55 AM
Suspended

I would call it "tail lamp lens" red or the red that is on the '64 tail lamp bezel. Maybe a tad brighter.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That would be Marimba Red. Has anyone seen a repro that color or an original for sale?

Seems odd that this issue hasn’t come up for decades. When our two ‘64’s were judged, no deductions or comments were made about the wood wheel.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 09-18-2019, 12:10 PM
Suspended

My comment was based on the shape of your chrome button. Based on your photos, it just does not seem to have the right shape and the plastic insert seems flush as opposed to recessed. That is why I asked if you had a better/closer picture.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:24 PM
Suspended

You can label the color any way you want but I call it translucent red.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:22 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
No, not a trick question. I simply want to know what the original insert looked like. Was it burgundy or was it red on the perimeter? If burgundy is correct, I don't think '64 wood wheel owners have the correct piece available.
First insert is from my 64 GTO I purchased in 69; wheel was PHS documented. The color is the bright kind of translucent/reflective red. Second insert is one that I got with some other parts. Upon comparison it appears to be OEM though burgundy in color. Not sure if that is from sun exposure or is an early piece. My car was built third week of June. All the repop catalogs show the emblem with the bright red however Year One states that the color may differ slightly from the original. As I know my insert is original my guess would be that the bright translucent red would be the correct color.

As for the horn button the OEM has a solid back as opposed to a hole like the repops as the repops use a different casting process. On the OEM button the insert sits approximately 3/32” below the lip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	520481   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	520482   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	520483  

Old 11-18-2019, 12:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Its hard to articulate the differences between the original horn button and emblem vs. the reproductions. But I assure you, they are distiguishable.

The chrome horn button is easy, they have a hole. No brainer.

The emblem gets a little tricky. There was a reproduction available in the late 80s early 90s that was spot on. The current reproduction on the market is good but not exact. The easiest way to spot it is the "T" in P O N T I A C is not the same height as the rest of the letters. It is too short. And, the outline of the V shaped crest is not the same shape/contour as the original. This is hard to articulate in words but pretty easy to see once you know what you are looking for.

Here is a picture of a repro horn button next to an original. Hard to see but the shape of the repro. is off just a little.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0971.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	524693  

Old 11-18-2019, 05:10 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-3Deuces View Post
First insert is from my 64 GTO I purchased in 69; wheel was PHS documented. The color is the bright kind of translucent/reflective red.
As for the horn button the OEM has a solid back as opposed to a hole like the repops as the repops use a different casting process. On the OEM button the insert sits approximately 3/32” below the lip.
Mine is exactly as described and obviously original as I bought the car new.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.