Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-20-2014, 07:23 PM

Default In dire need of an oil filter housing 120degree

Hi guys,
I'm putting a 1971 400 in my 67 and using the LongBranch exhaust manifolds, after buying the angle filter from Kauffman racing it's not enough of an angle, according to some further research I need the on from a 66 GTO that has a 120 degree angle and I can't find one. ANYONE have one or a lead on where to get one? If not I'll bring them back and go with stock manifolds ( really don't want to do that ). Thanks for any leads, please text me as I'm only on a few times a day 949-705-193three

Old 09-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ram air restorations

http://www.ramairrestoration.com/pon...-firebird.html

Old 09-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does it look like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Oil-...e60923&vxp=mtr

I have 2 of them

Old 09-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you need the one on the left, I have one available.

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 09-20-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
Does it look like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Oil-...e60923&vxp=mtr

I have 2 of them
That's the angle I have now, needs more, thank you though

Old 09-20-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JOHN View Post
If you need the one on the left, I have one available.

John, if that is more then the one Kauffman racing sold then I can use it. Let me look at mine and I'll get back to you tonight.thanks

Old 09-20-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badss540 View Post
John, if that is more then the one Kauffman racing sold then I can use it. Let me look at mine and I'll get back to you tonight.thanks
John, can you give me an email to send you a pic of mine, im not sure how to post the pic I took.OOOPs I see your e mail, I'll send it to you. Thanks

Old 09-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm confused a little bit. I gather that you have a 67 Firebird that you want to put longbranch manifolds on, the same manifolds used on the 67 thru 69 Firebirds (and big cars too) on their high performance engines. These factory manifolds used a special oil filter mount adapter that tilted the whole oil filter mount and filter toward the back of the car. To my knowledge a regular "square down" oil filter mount is mounted onto the special tilt adapter. As I recall, if you try to use one of those regular mounts that tilt the filter in toward the motor on top of the special "tilt back adapter, the oil filter may not fit because it wont clear the tranny bellhousing, manual or automatic.

If you already have one of those factory "straight down mounts" you need to get one of those special "tilt back" adapter plates that are used with longbranches. There were two different styles from the factory, one was "thin" and the one was thick. (I believe the size varied based on whether or not it was for a Firebird or for a big car.) I think both were a two-piece design with a thin metal plate fitting in between. If that is the type, you must use that plate. I think aftermarket versions of the adapter are one-piece.

Good luck!

Old 09-20-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I'm confused a little bit. I gather that you have a 67 Firebird that you want to put longbranch manifolds on, the same manifolds used on the 67 thru 69 Firebirds (and big cars too) on their high performance engines. These factory manifolds used a special oil filter mount adapter that tilted the whole oil filter mount and filter toward the back of the car. To my knowledge a regular "square down" oil filter mount is mounted onto the special tilt adapter. As I recall, if you try to use one of those regular mounts that tilt the filter in toward the motor on top of the special "tilt back adapter, the oil filter may not fit because it wont clear the tranny bellhousing, manual or automatic.

If you already have one of those factory "straight down mounts" you need to get one of those special "tilt back" adapter plates that are used with longbranches. There were two different styles from the factory, one was "thin" and the one was thick. (I believe the size varied based on whether or not it was for a Firebird or for a big car.) I think both were a two-piece design with a thin metal plate fitting in between. If that is the type, you must use that plate. I think aftermarket versions of the adapter are one-piece.

Good luck!
I have the engine on the EZ Run stand, it's a 1971 400 that I'm putting in the 67 with the 67 to 69 Long Branch Exhaust. It noted that the adaptor would not work with a TH 400 which I have. I bought the angle housing that was offered by Kauffman Racing and when I went to put the manifolds in it hit the center of the oil filter ( on the inside part of the filter toward the front of the engine), I then started to do a little deeper research and found a note for the Long Branch that reads " if using a 70 or newer engine in a 67 then the oil filter housing from a 66 GTO which is a 120 degree angle must be used, but no longer made by GM and no know reproduction known" LUCKY me. Last resort I'll use a remote unit,but do not really want to do that.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the one you are asking for tilts the filter toward the rear of the car...no?

Old 09-20-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
I think the one you are asking for tilts the filter toward the rear of the car...no?
Really not sure if it does, but that would definitely work.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure what the difference is with a '67, but on my '69, the RARE adapter worked great with the LB manifolds on both my #'s matching block as well as the '73 block and my car has the TH-400. Below is a link to the RARE adapter which is used in conjunction with the 90* oil filter housing in post #4 (the one on the right).

http://www.ramairrestoration.com/of-...-firebird.html

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 09-21-2014, 12:04 AM

There's nothing special about a '66 GTO oil filter adapter, every GTO, Le Mans or Tempest from 1964 through 1972 all used the exact same adapter that angled inward as pictured above. This style filter adapter is NOT the one that fits your particular car.

The '67 -'69 Firebirds and big Pontiacs used the 90 degree oil filter adapter. If equipped with long-branch exhaust they also used that additional piece that sandwiched between the block and the standard 90 degree filter adapter that tilted the entire assembly to the rear and spaced it further outward.

There is also absolutely no difference in the oil filter mounting pad location on 1970 and later blocks as compared to the earlier ones, they're all the same no matter what year.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

just as the others have described, here are some pictures of the oil filter set up with long branch manifolds. it uses the adapter/spacer that I posted a link to earlier. the big car spacer is thicker than the F body.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firebird Long branch oil adapter.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	376823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Firebird Long branch oil adapter 1.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	376824  

Old 09-21-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Meaney View Post
just as the others have described, here are some pictures of the oil filter set up with long branch manifolds. it uses the adapter/spacer that I posted a link to earlier. the big car spacer is thicker than the F body.
Is that with a TH400 tranny? I can see it's clocked to the right and that would work for me.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
There's nothing special about a '66 GTO oil filter adapter, every GTO, Le Mans or Tempest from 1964 through 1972 all used the exact same adapter that angled inward as pictured above. This style filter adapter is NOT the one that fits your particular car.

The '67 -'69 Firebirds and big Pontiacs used the 90 degree oil filter adapter. If equipped with long-branch exhaust they also used that additional piece that sandwiched between the block and the standard 90 degree filter adapter that tilted the entire assembly to the rear and spaced it further outward.

There is also absolutely no difference in the oil filter mounting pad location on 1970 and later blocks as compared to the earlier ones, they're all the same no matter what year.
Where in So Cal, I'm there also.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:36 AM
Suspended

I think some one is pulling your leg on the 120 deg. oil filter adapter. Think about it. If it was agnlge into the engine `120 deg'. it would pe almost pointing right at the engine block. If it was the other way out away from the block 120 deg's it would look as though it was pointing at the frame at that angle. What your in need of is the long branch oil filter adapter , which you can get from our host or Year One , or any of the others for around $ 50.00 or so. It tilts the oil filter back at 35 deg. angle so it holds the oil filter at roughly the same angle as the long branch manifolds . But as far as the 120 deg. angled oil filter adapter you may want to tell the preson who told you that they are full of coc-ca.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what I was thinking, 120 degrees measured from where! Surely not the oil filter mounting pad!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 09-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
I'm not sure what the difference is with a '67, but on my '69, the RARE adapter worked great with the LB manifolds on both my #'s matching block as well as the '73 block and my car has the TH-400. Below is a link to the RARE adapter which is used in conjunction with the 90* oil filter housing in post #4 (the one on the right).

http://www.ramairrestoration.com/of-...-firebird.html
worth reposting^ this is the adapter you need with the 90* housing. The 90* housing tilts the oil filter away from the engine and the spacer/adapter tilts it to the rear of the vehicle.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 09-21-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
I think some one is pulling your leg on the 120 deg. oil filter adapter. Think about it. If it was agnlge into the engine `120 deg'. it would pe almost pointing right at the engine block. If it was the other way out away from the block 120 deg's it would look as though it was pointing at the frame at that angle. What your in need of is the long branch oil filter adapter , which you can get from our host or Year One , or any of the others for around $ 50.00 or so. It tilts the oil filter back at 35 deg. angle so it holds the oil filter at roughly the same angle as the long branch manifolds . But as far as the 120 deg. angled oil filter adapter you may want to tell the preson who told you that they are full of coc-ca.
Believe me I know at 120 it's a hard angle, it was PRINTED in the catalog not just someone saying it so I went in that direction. If the adaptor moves the filter itself toward the rear then it will work on this. Unfortunalty the parts guys at Classic are not familiar with any of this so it was just a I don't know from them.