Old 02-25-2021, 08:07 AM

Default Fi-Tech Fuel Injection Tri Power system

A friend of mine is looking into this system to replace the 66 tripower system on his 73 400 in a 57 Star Chief.
Has anyone used this system? We would be looking for pros and cons before he starts on this project.

Thanks for you comments, Mark

Old 02-25-2021, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just took a quick look at the pictures and it seems that the units are Holley 2 bbl bolt patterns, not Rochester. There would be a lot of adaption and fabrication to make it work on a Rochester based manifold.

I believe that Fitech made their units to fit Mopar and Ford manifolds mostly, and perhaps the chevy 427 tripower unit, which I believe also used Holley carbs. Adapting them to a Pontiac intake would be difficult, but it probably could be done by someone intent on using these throttle body units in place of carburetors.

There are adapter plates to adapt a Holley baseplate to a Rochester manifold, but no one knows until you try it if there is enough spacing room between units to mount 3 of them in a row....... It could be a costly endeavor to make them fit if the adapters have to be offset to make enough room for everything to fit.

The question you have to ask, is the juice, worth the squeeze? It probably wouldn't be high on my priority list to make my tri power setup fuel injected, considering all the headaches you may run into. But then again it may all bolt together without any special adapters. One other problem I can foresee, might be an air cleaner, as the Rochester single units won't fit a Holley top pattern.

I guess it boils down to, how badly you want a FI tri power setup?

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-25-2021, 12:17 PM

He happened to see the listing for the unit in the Ames GTO catalog and thought that it would be a great upgrade to his car. I think maybe he should call Ames about the details for the install. Like you say, is it really worth major mods to have something installed that may or may not be beneficial.

Old 02-25-2021, 12:39 PM
Senior Chief

Has been done by Fitech on a 1967 Tempest:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKkf1SRDmgy/

Of course needs a new fuel supply system.

Not so sure why one would want to swap out a 1966 tripower set up with it. No gaining anything in the end if the stock tripower is set up right.

But fitech works great when installed properly and the proper fuel system put in. Contact FiTech for info on all that is involved.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:11 AM

Thanks Guys, I am going to pass this all along to my friend. I am thinking he did not realize how much work would be involved when he suggested it to me . Glad I have other people to ask about this stuff before he went out and plunked down the cash for this system.
Mind you if I was starting a new build from the frame up this would probably be a GREAT alternative. I just don't think he wants to tear into the 57 again so soon after finishing it.

Thanks again, Mark