Old 03-05-2021, 02:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Radio replacements...what are you using?

Wasn't really considering getting a new/modern replacement radio (more interested in listening to the 400), but since the car is apart...now is the time I should probably consider and cover the opening.

I'd like to keep this as simple as possible and not cut the dash. I would want modern features like digital FM and mp3/USB/CD if possible. Hi power output so that I don't need to worry about external amplifiers. Probably just 6x9s in the rear and maybe the 4x10 in the dash if it really makes a difference (AC car). Can't see myself mounting external amps, subs or crossovers. Decent enough performance so that I can hear it over the Flowmaster 40 series (if I want) without breaking the bank.

Advice? What are you using? Retro Sound? Vintage Car Audio? Custom Autosound? The USA-740 looks pretty trick.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 03-05-2021, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought from Classic Car Stereos, but they all sell about the same thing. I've also used Retro Sound.

In one I have the 630 model that looks like a stock radio with stock appearing knobs, and does all the stuff you're looking for. I went this route for the USB so I could just simply plug in a little MP3 with several hundred songs on it. They also make a 740 model with even more features for not much more money. Looks fairly stock and doesn't require hacking up the dash.

I do the simple 6x9 speakers hidden under the package tray, and the small speakers hidden under the dash so I'm not cutting anything, or running big fat wires through the firewall to the battery.

Very simple setup and I've been happy with it. I later installed a very small mini Alpine amp that just sits on top of the heater box under the dash with some velcro. It's small, sits in your hand. It gets it's power straight from the radio so there were no funky wires needed to run to the battery. Very nice little amp that pumped up the sound quality. I wanted just a little more sound out of that radio and this did the job for me without mounting a big amp and 10 lbs. of wiring.

If you want stock appearing, without cutting anything, and a radio that is within reach in the dash where it belongs, this is the setup I like using.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 03-05-2021, 03:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Evidently...the 740 requires a special order/custom fit for 1970...not a big deal, but not noted in the various parts suppliers (i.e., Ames, OPGI). Looks like I'm going to have to order the radio harness from M&H after all.

Any ideas for the dual speaker 4x10 and 6x9s (bottom mount)? I don't want to cut up the package tray. Maybe the JL Audio C1s?

Last edited by vertigto; 03-05-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is the link for the 630 radio. Looks good and the price is good ($254.95).

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/cu...car-radio.html

Here is the link for the 740 radio. It's reasonable at $349 but interestingly you have to supply them with the dimensions, etc. for you car"s radio as they custom build it for you:

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/cu...h-usa-740.html

I've bookmarked this company for when I get around to the sound system in my car.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 03-05-2021, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Interesting the 740 requires additional parts to fit. I did t know that. I've always bought the 630's.

On the speakers I used pioneer 6x9's at the rear package tray. I mount them under the tray as most all cars have provisions for this. I didn't cut anything. I do t use the grills either. I just buy a repo package tray that has perferations for speakers and that's it. So it looks stock, flat, and clean back there, like it doesn't have speakers at all.

Under the dash I buy the pair of speakers made to mount together under the center of the dash. Or on some cars like my chevelle it has factory perferations on the corners of the dash pad so I mount them there where the factory had them originally.

Like you I'm not a fan of cutting anything so I do a little extra to hide things and keep a stock appearance. We drive the cars all the time so gotta have some tunes 🙂

Old 03-05-2021, 05:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Interesting the 740 requires additional parts to fit. I did t know that. I've always bought the 630's.
I misspoke about the M&H radio harness...not sure what I was thinking, but that's just a jumper between the factory radio unit and stereo tape player. The dash harness and fuse block have all the necessary connections for keyed/battery power and the LCD dimmer/illumination on the 740.

Was slightly disappointed that the 740 isn't a direct/drop-in fit and requires a nominal upcharge for custom fit and completion of a template (the car is 100 miles away) for 1970.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:45 PM
Senior Chief

I used Retro Sound for my 1976 Firebird. I originally ordered Classic Auto Sound but they sent the wrong radio. The don't make a radio for the 1970-1977 Firebird because it has the 2 slots, 1 for the dial and 1 for the pushbuttons. 1978 and up only have 1 opening. Classic apologized and told me their competitor had what I needed. What a stand up company. I did buy 4 speakers from them. I bought a dual speaker set up using a bracket to hold 2 small speakers next to each other where the stock 4 x 10 speaker fit. I put in the second rear speaker, RH, in the rear deck. The car came with 2 speakers from the factory, 1 in the front center of dash and 1 in the LH of the rear package tray. The radio and speakers sound fantastic.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send your radio to turnswitch.com. They will replate it, repaint it and put pioneer guts in it. I have Bluetooth and hands free calling in mine.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Send your radio to turnswitch.com. They will replate it, repaint it and put pioneer guts in it. I have Bluetooth and hands free calling in mine.
Original radio is long gone...

Old 03-05-2021, 08:52 PM
Senior Chief

Probably not the direction you’re going but the new multimedia receivers these days are so shallow right now they are easier to conceal than ever. In my last car I made a little slide out deal under the dash that could bring it forward flush and then push back if you didn’t want it. You’d have to nearly lay on the floor to see it. These new receivers are only like 4” deep (no cd though). Half the time I’d never even slide it forward because my phone could control it all via Bluetooth or usb if I had the cord plugged in to charge.

Not trying to sell anybody on the idea but it worked for me because I wanted my factory radio to stay factory. Did the same on the kid’s Plymouth, and the same going into the GTO now. The menu/feature set in these little $100ish receivers is unreal and really let’s you tune in your speakers no matter where or how bad the placement is. I’ve used the JVC X270 and X470.

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 09:23 PM
Senior Chief

My Retro Sound looks like the stock radio. I think mine is called the Daytona. I only wanted an AUX port for my Ipod, nothing else. It is a basic radio except for that. My car is nothing fancy, just a plain jane 1976 Firebird.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:37 PM
Senior Chief

In my opinion the best way to go:

https://www.radiosforoldcars.com/

It looks stock, smaller case, and has everything you would need.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65madgoat View Post

Looks nice but carries a hefty price tag. I am considering it for my 66 Lemans though.

1971 Trans Am Lucy Blue, 11.56 @ 115
1966 LeMans. 462, SD prepped Kaufman D ports. 11.90 @ 112
1976 Trans Am twin turbo 462, SD Edelbrock heads 8.50@159
2009 G8 GT
Old 03-06-2021, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Those look great, but no mention of a USB connection.

The only reason I change from the stock radio is for a USB connection. That's really the only thing I'm looking for other than appearing to be stock. I have several MP3 players that are in each car loaded with hundreds of songs. So that's really what I listen to the most. If they could offer this with a simple USB plug in, I'd be on board with one of these.

Edit: sent them a message asking if they can do one with a USB port.

Last edited by Formulajones; 03-06-2021 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Restored stock radio, IMO, a aftermarket radio ruins the look of a dash.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 03-06-2021, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

II recently ordered one for the bird - very expensive but I recently bought a repro dash for it and refuse to cut it. 12-week delay on shipping. USB would have been nice but I can link via Bluetooth for the tunes. Apparently the newer model has front and rear speaker pre-out RCA jacks but not updated on site yet. This one is very shallow which will help to make real-estate for the aftermarket AC

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project

Last edited by grivera; 03-06-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't do the bluetooth thing and don't use my cell phone for this stuff either. I have way too many MP3 players that plug into USB for each car. No way I'm going through the trouble to convert all these cars to something else. So if they can't add a USB for me this option is out unfortunately.

Old 03-06-2021, 11:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm using a RetroSound Model 2 (see pic) with a dual L + R speaker in the original front dash spot and Rockford 6x9's in the back package shelf. Cutting the sheet metal for the 6x9's was a PIA but worth it. I am using the Rockford grills but that's going to change soon to something less obvious. I was given a Bazooka 10" bass tube and a Precision Power amp for free by a friend so they now reside in the trunk on the shelf over the rear axle. I am using the knob kit for the Model 2 that's not for a 65 as at the time, they didn't have one. Thing is, the original AM radio knobs will work but you need to find 2 of the left side rear knobs to make it work. The Ipod Touch works great with this arrangement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210306_100035_resized.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	562154  

65 Tempest, 400, TH400
86 Fiero SE 2.8
Old 03-06-2021, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

That's pretty nice, but probably more $ than I want to spend, although cheaper than Custom Auto Sounds replica series. The 740 custom is almost 1/2 the price.
and still looks pretty retro...

Old 03-06-2021, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

AAR (Antique Auto Radio) is what we installed in our 69 Firebird, real pleased. Looks and fits factory stock, no alterations necessary.

Tim john---