Old 09-18-2020, 01:19 PM

Default No crank and alt light stays on

'69 Grand Prix,replaced engine harness due to original owner having done some creative wiring to the wiper/washers. Everything plugged up and now I have something causing the alternator light to stay on with key off. Also,starter not turning. Only other change was I replaced the external regulator. Any ideas before I jump into it. BTW,all fuses are good.

Old 09-18-2020, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First the alt. light if you have the old regulator plug it back in and see if that helps. As for the no crank use a test light or voltmeter and see if you have voltage into and out of the ignition switch. If you do go to neutral safety switch and make sure you have voltage on both sides of switch with trans in park. Make sure you check starter wires and not back up light wires. If you have voltage on both sides then check where wiring goes through the firewall. You should find the problem some where in there. You are sure starter is good and wire is connected to correct terminal?

Old 09-18-2020, 03:24 PM

Yes sir,brand new mini starter. Only 1 post for solenoid. Was working when temporarily hooked up to old harness. I had the same thought about the regulator. It's the new solid state one with circuit board.

Old 09-19-2020, 04:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wires to the ign switch might be mixed up.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:19 PM

Thanks,found the issue. Prong in the engine harness did not engage correctly into the receptacle and bent over.