Old 09-22-2020, 06:45 PM

Default dash cap

1978 Trans Am dash is cracked very bad. I have used a dash cap on a GTO before and looked ok. I see several brands of cap for the '78-81 firebirds. Has anyone have experience with them and can recommend the best fitting one? Sending the dash to be redone is not an option as it's way too much money. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:20 PM
Senior Chief

My 78 TA still in the original condition , but had to replace (cover) on my 79 Camaro, and what I found is to fit it carefully ,fit it take it back off trim here and reinstall many times but it fits very well and looks good

Old 09-25-2020, 02:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a DashTop from Palco Industries in my '71 GTO. It fit perfectly everywhere including around the dash bezel, A/C outlets and glovebox. Mine was completely blemish-free and also was very flexible feeling more like a dashpad, not hard plastic. The only give-away is at the lower edge of the dash along the passenger side where the dash pad stops ahead of the rear flange of the original dash ad instead of wrapping all the way around it. You have to crouch down under the dash to see it though.

I dry fitted mine multiple times, trimming back the leading edge of the original pad on top of the dash to allow the "return" on the leading edge of the cap to snap fully over and bottom on the metal part of the dash.

Other than the lower edge, it is indistinguishable from a replacement pad and even has some give when you press your thumb into it. It's been on for 2 years and looks perfect.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You could check with Pete at fbodywarehouse.com . He used to sell them, and maybe still does. He made 2 videos of how to install a Palco dash cap, which is on Youtube. Below is a link to his videos, part 1 and part 2. You'd need one for a 78-81. The 70-77 has a different size radio hole. Below is a pic of the difference.

You have to make sure to buy one that has the correct "grain", that matches the original. I've seen some that weren't correct, so didn't match the other parts, like the glove box door. So, ask Pete about the grain. Here are links to the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3h43tnFLMU&t=12s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyn9qddU3VQ

DASH EARLY LATE DIFFERENCE - Copy by grand73am, on Flickr

Old 09-25-2020, 02:11 PM

Default thanks

Thanks for the responses. I will check out the videos. I used one on a '69 GTO. Don't remember what brand. Fit pretty well. Almost have the car ready for me to paint then I will attack the interior. I knew the difference between early and later dash differences as I have a '76 TA that is almost like showroom condition. Hope to get this one close to the same condition.