THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Does anybody have a recommendation for a good garden tractor battery

I've got two Craftsman mowers. One is a DGT 6000 garden tractor with a 27HP Kohler engine. The second is a 42" cut with a 20HP Briggs engine. Even though I remove the batteries from the mowers for winter, I can't seem to get more than a year or two life out of them. I just charged up both batteries and stuck them in the mower, and both died overnight. I usually buy Advance Auto or NAPA batteries because they are convenient.

Does anybody have a good recommendation for garden tractor batteries? I've checked and both mowers are charging the batteries.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a Kubota diesel tractor and was surprised when the OEM battery lasted 9 years. I replaced it with a Deka and I have 6 years and counting on that one. They're US made but probably relabeled? IDK but it's got a thumbs up from me. I use the tractor with a mid mount 60" mower all summer and FEL and back blade all winter.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have NAPA batteries in both my large New Holland and my smaller Kubota ... been very surprised they have held up under the abuse. The one in the New Holland has been treated very, very poorly for the last ten years and it's still going. Cannot believe it hasn't frozen in our -20 degree temps.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sams Club sells the Dura Cell, which is a Deka battery, mine's lasted 5 years now. Deka is a premium battery no matter whose name is on it.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-27-2018, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have owned several Kawasaki jet ski's over the last 30 years (multiples at the same time). They come with Yuasa batteries. I typically get 4-5 years out of one of those batteries with my use. I have tried most other brands and nothing lasts like the Yuasa's.
The crappy batteries from Pep Boys, Walmart, Autozone, etc, don't hang well in my experience.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:31 AM
Senior Chief

Deka is what we use in our equipment, everything from lawn tractor batteries to 8D., and the equipment sits outside year round. We get at least 5 to 6 years out of them. And their made in the USA.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I needed to replace the OE battery in my Husqvarna articulating rider, I went with an ACDelco.

I doubt many people realize that ACD sells lawn and garden, power sports and marine batteries. They are made by Johnson Controls.

How do I know this? I work for an ACD (and Motorcraft and MOPAR) warehouse distributor.

Believe it or not, I have a John Deere dealer that buys and sells ACD batteries for all their applications because they are better than the JD OE batteries.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wal Mart Ever Start works fine for me, in our 24hp B&S powered Craftsman. Had it at least 2 seasons. For the price, even if I have to replace it every 2 seasons, its pretty darn cheap.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...U1R-7/16795214

Got a Deka 850cca, 778DT, in my Kioti compact tractor. Was less than $100 at an area discount batt store.

https://www.pascobattery.com/automot...id-12v-850-cca

Had a couple of Exide 800cca NASCAR Select batts in my last bracket car. I see they are now rated at only 770cca.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...-battery-78dts

Seems like our local Auto Zone & NAPA stores have gone up to around $125 or more, for the decent full size batts.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP8424

Wal Mart price is still under $100. And they seem to last just as good as any I've bought. And they have a 3 year free replacement deal, tho I've never had to use it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...e-24F/28275657

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-27-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:44 AM
Senior Chief

Our Napa batteries are made by Deka.

When asked about how long the lawn and garden batteries last, we answer with "They're an electrical item, could be ten minutes, could be ten years, you just never know".

Just had a customer bring one in that looked brand new, but was 7 years old! He took it out in the winters and kept it on a trickle charger in his basement.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansboy70 View Post
Our Napa batteries are made by Deka.

When asked about how long the lawn and garden batteries last, we answer with "They're an electrical item, could be ten minutes, could be ten years, you just never know".

Just had a customer bring one in that looked brand new, but was 7 years old! He took it out in the winters and kept it on a trickle charger in his basement.
X2 on the taking it out and using a trickle charger!
My battery's last on average 7 to 10 years using this method.
I store mine in a attached garage, off the floor.

1966 GTO Post Coupe, 467ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 11.6 118mph
1966 GTO Post Coupe, "The Bright Idea" 535ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 9.58 141mph
Old 02-27-2018, 01:17 PM
Senior Chief

I get mine at Wal-mart for $22 w/core!,..keep a trickle on it and be done for years

Old 02-27-2018, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whatever the auto parts store is currently selling.

I keep them in the lawn & garden tractors over the winter, keep them charged, and start the L & G's at least once a month (even in sub-freezing temps). Run them long enough to get to normal operating temperature. Only way I didn't have to rebuild the carbs every spring, and the batteries last a lot longer also.

And yes, I do a "no-no". I use a squirt of starting fluid to start the engines. Have been doing this for 50 years, and have yet to ruin an engine! (knocks on head as typing ) Currently have 8 that are not electric (don't use the starting fluid on the electrics )!

A also keep the tires aired up, and move each L & G at least twice the circumference of a rear tire after it warms.

One certainly does not want to buy new batteries for the electrics often. They are about $300. each, and each mower takes three!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob with the 66 View Post
I store mine in a attached garage, off the floor.
Storing on the floor doesn't hurt the battery at all.

When I toured the Johnson Controls battery plant in St. Joe, MO several years ago, I had to go through 8 hours of battery training before the tour.

They dispelled a number of "old wive's tales" about batteries in class.

I don't need to use a trickle charger on my lawn and garden batteries because they are used year round. My Husqvarna articulating rider has a 42" snowblower...

No chains necessary on this rig - AWD with the engine sitting over the rear wheels and my but over the front wheels.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As mentioned above, NAPA batteries are private label DEKA batteries. I have had good luck with them over the years. They are price competitive with others out there. My whole house generator has a 6 year old NAPA battery so it is due to die soon. My experience has been whatever the battery is rated to last in months when you buy it is pretty darn close in most cases. A 60 month battery will almost always need replacement in 5 years. Most lawn and garden batteries are rated 36 months, so 3 years is about right. What I like about NAPA batteries is my relationship with the parts store. If I ever have a questionable battery, even if it is in the pro-rated portion of the warranty, my store will replace it, no questions asked, no receipt required. It's a perk of being loyal to a particular store and brand. I doubt the batteries are any better than others out there, but the service certainly is.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, because my backyard is like a mud pit because of all the rain we've had lately, I elected to use my lawn tractor to pull my car dolly out to the street, instead of my dually, so I didn't put a bunch of ruts into the lawn.

The battery is at least 5 YO and as was mentioned a Deka/Duracell from Sams Club. The mower hasn't run since October and I hit the key and it rolled right over like it did when I put the battery in 5 years ago. No trickle charger, nothing and it sat for 4-5 months outside, wasn't even under cover. To me that's pretty amazing for a 5 YO battery that has been outside for 5 years. The Deka cost more initially, but the extra life I get out of them is worth it.

I also have the same battery in my ATV/Go Kart that I use for transportation at Norwalk once a year. That would be the 2 seat one with a wing on top that looks like a mini sprint car, if anyone has seen it at Norwalk. I have let that sit a full year without it being started outside and it has fired up the engine after sitting 12 months. I used to put the cheapy $25 batteries in it and they might last 2 years if I was lucky.

I checked the cheapy lawn tractor battery warranty out at Rural king the last time I was there, it was 90 for days !!! After 90 days your on your own.....

Ya get what ya pay for, proven yet again.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-28-2018, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, got my truck stuck in the mud in my own driveway last week. Never seen the driveway get that bad before. All the tires down about 12" into the mud and trying to go up hill ... had to get the tractor and pull it out.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just throwing this out there but they make Lithium Ion batteries too. Not sure how that would compare with lead acid as far as longevity.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:35 PM
Senior Chief

If the battery is normal car size go to tractor supply. the one in my JD is 9yrs old and still going.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary bennett View Post
If the battery is normal car size go to tractor supply. the one in my JD is 9yrs old and still going.
If it will fit, a 22NF is the size you want. That's what I use in my Allis Chalmers 416H, my Allis Chalmers 712H, and a few others. It's a car battery, use whatever is on sale.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Sams Club sells the Dura Cell, which is a Deka battery, mine's lasted 5 years now. Deka is a premium battery no matter whose name is on it.
This has been an interesting thread. I've been thinking of replacing my lawn tractor battery for a couple of weeks. I won't start the engine sometimes. It acts as if there is too much compression. I hooked a battery tender to it and it will turn things over then without issue. Still, I figured it was time to be replaced. I went and found a Duracell brand battery at the Batteries Plus store. Great people, great price, (10% off when you buy it online and then pick it up at the store) and it's a Deka battery too. Thanks to all for the information. Lowes had a similar no name battery for $10 more. I'm thinking Chinese stuff.