Old 01-06-2017, 11:01 PM
Senior Chief

Default How to correct 3/4" height diff. left to rt 64 Lemans?

...i have had my 64 Lemans for 19 yrs now...have replaced springs all around incl rubber isolators on rears..reg shock, with helper springs around them in rear...but i have a 3/4" difference from left to right on this car as measured from garage floor to under lip of rear wheel well on each side....can i just add an extra rubber isolator to low side to fix??...anyone have similar prob with this body...seems i read about this being common...over yrs i have had the rubber body mounts replaced and had welded in where need to fix frame...all done like factory...and the height difference still persists
...what gives??? Thanks for your suggestions....also....on power drum drum brake booster for 64 lemans..mine is black...is it a repro or did some come black...mine was an early model build as it has the dual pulley fan belt system with a 326 2 spd...i want to re-build the booster, not sure if worth doing if it is a replacement..or do i do it black paint???..ideas???
Thanks again guys!! This forum is the BEST for these Lemans/GTO cars....and all Pontiacs of this error actually..Thanks...Steve

Old 01-07-2017, 12:45 AM
Senior Chief

Seems to be common with a-bodies. I replaced most everything. Mine was just a driver with a 326. My fix ended up being air bags in the rear with separate air valves.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question ride height

Is it the right rear that is higher? If so, do you suppose that was intentional from the factory to counteract the right rear squatting on acceleration?

Old 01-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you replaced the springs I would guess that it the problem. Most aftermarket springs are not matched sets(as in low cost imports), the more expensive ones are tested and sold in matching pairs but you easily could have gotten an un matched pair resulting in different height. Eibach has the best quality and are absolutely matched. Don't know if they make for your car.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

check the height from the ground to the frame..if its equal..its in the body, as in collapsed body mounts

then from the ground to the rockers...after all ride hight is checked to the rockers not the fender and that measurement is in the service manual..then you can start working thru the issues..start on the foundation before ya start looking at the roof...

most of the time its worn out crushed frame mount bushing..seen it a 100 times..

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 01-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Per the '64 Tempest Inspector's Guide, all frame dimensions are +/- 3/8" tolerance and "The maximum allowable left to right difference shall not exceed 3/4"" so it would seem you are within tolerance not that knowing this will make you like the tilt any better.

The rear rocker ht. is to be measured 23" forward of the rear wheel centerline.

Design rear rocker ht. (measured at the lowest point of the rocker) is supposed to be 9.25" with full tank of gas, empty trunk, and fully inflated standard tires for the model for the coupes and convertibles. Actual should be within the specified tolerance (+/- 3/8").

The front rocker ht. is supposed to be 9.75" and measured 31" behind the front wheel centerline.

Never heard of a black painted booster being used in '64. Maybe it was painted as a low cost alternative to replating during an earlier rebuild?

Maybe post a pic so that somebody here can compare it visually with a '64 original?

Not sure if the '64 originals were stamped "Delco-Moraine" and/or if Bendix boosters were used in '64, mine is not power brake so can't really help.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Remember, the difference in the rear ride height can also be caused by the front ride height. Check the front as John V. outlined before you change anything in the rear.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 01-08-2017, 01:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My left front (drivers side) is at least 3/4" lower than passenger side. I haven't measured the rear yet. It's annoying. I have Eibach springs all around. Non stock tire sizes. I wish it were level.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 01-08-2017, 11:01 AM

Default This

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrrregg!!! View Post
Seems to be common with a-bodies. I replaced most everything. Mine was just a driver with a 326. My fix ended up being air bags in the rear with separate air valves.
^^^^^

The air bags with seperate valves are less than $90 and easy to install. Not only evens the height but the ride is great as well.

Randy

Old 01-08-2017, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same problem with my 66 that I had. I even installed air shocks with individual valves so I could air them up independent of each other, didn't work. It ended up being my front springs. When I replaced them I didn't get one of them properly seated in the indent in the spring tower which raised that side ever so slightly but it was amplified in the back with a drop on the opposite side. Before you start tearing things apart and spending money look in the witness hole for the springs to ensure the springs ends are where they should be. It might be as simple as rotating the spring to sit properly in its perch.

Back in the late 80's I bought a replacement for my power brake booster from the local part store that was painted black. Once places started offering the proper boosters I eventually replaced it with one that looked more like the original.
Dale

Old 01-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy1966GTO View Post
^^^^^

The air bags with seperate valves are less than $90 and easy to install. Not only evens the height but the ride is great as well.

Randy
Can you post or PM me info on air bags including install.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 01-08-2017, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
Remember, the difference in the rear ride height can also be caused by the front ride height. Check the front as John V. outlined before you change anything in the rear.
Disintergrating upper and lower "A" arm bushings

Old 01-09-2017, 10:40 PM
Senior Chief

Default AWESOME help from you guys....

WOW...what great info/ideas to solve my ride height issue: I will look at front springs, make sure they are mounted in proper slots...not sure where the end of spring should face at top of spring in the tower..but will look for difference left to right....also will look at bushings in upper/lower control arms...not replaced in over 15 yrs..could be....i will also try to post a pic of my seemingly orig. rusty black power booster to see if any/all think it may be original and what i should do with it for resto/or replace...Thanks for all the GREAT and smart answers to my ride height issue...will get back asap with what i find...thanks..Steve from Lowell, Mass.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:06 AM
Senior Chief

Default my apple 4 won't load pics to my pc...says files ****ed up or something...

..i hate ****ing computers..never get them to work right with pictures...can anyone whop thinks they can help me id whether this booster is orig or not..can you send me an email at smasse64@yahoo.com and i'll share pics from my email...again i re-state: I HATE ****ING COMPUTERS!!!!!!

Old 01-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It might be the file size of your picture is too big. Try using a program like Microsoft Office Picture Manager, or any program that can resize the picture, and see if that helps.
Dale

Old 01-11-2017, 01:30 AM
Senior Chief

Default thanks highrisk..i will try....

thsanks Highrisk...will do...

Old 08-03-2017, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

to circle back, when I had new ball joints installed last month, I had them check the front spring installation and, sure enough, they were not seated correctly. So now that they are seated correctly, the car is level left to right... BUT WAY TOO LOW in the front!!! The tires rub on both fenders during turns if I hit the slightest bumps.

I'm debating new tires or new springs.

What size tires do I need now?

I have 225/60x15's up front mounted on these rims:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...3440/overview/
(Wheel, 61C S/S Super Sport, Steel/Aluminum, 15 in. x 7 in., 5 x 4.75 in. Bolt Circle, 4.000 in. Backspace)

I used to really like my stance, which was A VERY slight rake, nearly level. Now it rakes more than I like and rubs like hell.

Should I get narrower tires or new springs?

New view from front:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwx15uilwe...75020.jpg?dl=0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170731_175020.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	460394  

469, M21, 3.42

Old 08-04-2017, 02:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When you get in it ,the driver side goes down a half inch maybe more depending on your weight. In the rear you just make a spring pad out of a piece of pipe and a flat plate. Set both sides to whatever you want.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default new tires or springs

If you are a 'canyon carver' then you may want to keep those 60-series tires. A 'straight-line' cruiser can use 75-series.

I sure wouldn't put those big aluminum knuckles into your front springs to gain more height. Different springs may be needed.

My '65 uses 275x60x15 and 205x75x15. Sits where I like it. I had 215x75x15 tires on the front which fit O.K., and had the same height as the rear tire in profile, but it had so much tire up front I thought it looked more like a 'truck'!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0421.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	460402  

Last edited by unclescratch; 08-04-2017 at 09:38 AM. Reason: 215 tire comment
Old 08-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rather than continue to hi-jack this thread, I started a new one.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...78#post5770078

I'd love to hear suggestions on which new springs to order that will allow me to retain my 225/60's or even 215/65's.

469, M21, 3.42