Old 07-16-2017, 09:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1965 Lemans/GTO dark aqua interior?

My son bought a 65 Lemans. We need to order carpet and a headliner. The interior color looks what I call a darker Aqua...greenish blue. In the catalogs I see a blue and I see a Turquoise. It must be the turquoise. But then I look online at pics of 65 GTO/Lemans interiors and see turquoise pics being lighter colored turquoise. Was there two shades of turquoise in 1965??? Any of you guys have a 65 with dark aqua interior?

Old 07-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'65 Model Series 37 Lemans was offered in 4 Body Styles. The 4 dr. Sedan (3769) was added to the line-up (not offered in '64), while the 2 dr. Sports Coupe (3727), 2 dr. Hardtop Coupe (3737), and 2 dr. Convertible (3767) were all carry-over Body Styles from '64.

The Lemans 4 dr. Sedan used a Cloth and Morrokide Vinyl interior trim in 2 color choices, Fisher Trim Code 265 was Black Preston Cloth with Black Morrokide and Code 298 was Burgundy Preston Cloth with Burgundy Morrokide. AFAIK, these were the only trim colors for this Lemans Body Style.

The other (3) '65 Lemans Body Styles used an all Morrokide Vinyl interior trim in 6 color choices.

Fisher Body Trim Code 213 is Black.
Code 214 is Turquoise.
Code 215 is Gold.
Code 216 is Red.
Code 217 is Blue.
Code 218 Parchment (with Black Appointments).

Check your Data Plate on the Firewall for the Trim Code. Should correspond to one of the ones I've listed.

Don't be thrown off if there is a "dash" no. after the Code, some of the Plants may have included an addition bit of coding in '65 but I think the base code was consistently coded at all Plants.

Assuming your Trim Code is 214, it is Turquoise.

Variations in colors from pix may be a function of the lighting or could be variability in the reproduction material dyes used by different sources.

Maybe post some pix of what your son has assuming his is original and perhaps somebody here has a recommendation for the best source of the "correct" color.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't know about the upholstery or door panels but I was told by the previous owner of my 65 GTO, that the original headliner was a dark aqua and when it came time to replace it, no one sold that color so upon his wife's recommendation, he changed the headliner to red. My GTO has a black interior and from what I have read, Pontiac never offered black headliners in 65.
I get a lot of comments at shows and cruise nights on my red headliner.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgenbird View Post
I don't know about the upholstery or door panels but I was told by the previous owner of my 65 GTO, that the original headliner was a dark aqua and when it came time to replace it, no one sold that color so upon his wife's recommendation, he changed the headliner to red. My GTO has a black interior and from what I have read, Pontiac never offered black headliners in 65.
Are you saying that the car originally came with a black interior and dark aqua headliner? Now it has a black interior and red headliner?

Old 07-18-2017, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'll need to start looking at headliners at shows now. There's a local guy with a survivor black on black '65 - I'm pretty sure that headliner is black, but I've never really looked at it.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:02 PM

Back in 2009, I restored a 1965 GTO with the dark turquoise interior. None of the repo headliners matched. The good news is the shop that did the interior was able to find N.O.S. headliner material. The bad news, it cost me $ 400.00 just for the material. That was in 2009.
If you are interested in trying to locate the right material, I will send you the phone number of the shop that did my work. I don't know if hey would give you the information of their source.
Good luck, Bob C.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know if '65 is like '66 but there are 2 offerings in '66 for "Turquoise"
214 Light Turquoise & 220 Dark Turquoise "AQUA"

I have the 220 interior and the NOS material came from Harry Samuel back in 84/85.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 02-25-2024 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Are you saying that the car originally came with a black interior and dark aqua headliner? Now it has a black interior and red headliner?
Yes.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Yes.

Can you post a picture? I'm guessing if original, it's actually a slate colored headliner that may have discolored over the years.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys, you have to be careful with what you are suggesting.

There was a code 214 Turquoise offering in '66 but it was NOT for the Lemans or GTO. Different color/pattern style than the Code 220 Dark Turquoise offered for the Lemans or GTO.

Similar story in '65. The "other" Turquoise trim was NOT used in the Lemans (with or without GTO option).

As for the "Dark Turquoise" Lemans headliner with the Black interior trim, that was surely the standard Medium Slate Whipcord Headliner. The '65 Lemans Turquoise interior trim would have gotten a Medium Turquoise Whipcord Headliner. Hard to believe Fisher Body would have crossed that up and not caught it and unlikely it would have been viewed as "Dark Turquoise" anyway. In '66, a Dark Turquoise perforated Taffeta pattern Headliner was matched to the Dark Turquoise Code 220 trim. No chance that color was used in '65. Gotta believe the Medium Slate was what gave the appearance of Dark Turquoise somehow. I vaguely recall some discussion years ago of such a thing possibly being related to window tinting fooling the viewer and causing a greenish tint. 1stgenbird, not trying to dispute your story, but I'm certainly thinking the original headliner was correct Slate and not something oddball.

Keith Seymore has posted pix in at least one older thread of his original Medium Slate Headliner on his well known 5500(?) mile '65. If he is following this thread, maybe he will post that pic again.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the only place that had my exact headliner. I have '68 220 'Dark Aqua' interior but the headliner is a very pale aqua/turquoise. They sent me two samples, one dark and one the correct pale color.
https://www.smsautofabrics.com/

Old 07-19-2017, 07:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk1976 View Post
Can you post a picture? I'm guessing if original, it's actually a slate colored headliner that may have discolored over the years.
Ditto! we want pics! I'll bet it looks great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger
Old 07-20-2017, 06:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk1976 View Post
As I said in my post, the car now has a red headliner as the previous owner replaced it. I don't have the original as it was replaced years ago.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've owned two '65 GTO's with the original black headliners. This was the early '80's, and they were original cars. A friend had another '65 GTO at this time with a black interior and a black headliner, also original. I have seen '65 GTO's with black and red interiors that had white/grayish-white original headliners.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just went thru some old posts.

The Medium Slate Headliner for the '65 Trim Code 213 seems to have been used predominantly.

But I "rediscovered" that many '65s with the Black interior Trim Code 213 did get a Black Headliner.

This is actually confirmed in the Master Parts Catalog, both the Slate and Black are listed for the '65 Trim Code 213.

The consensus seems to be that there was a mid year change, the Black Headliner seems to have come in to use perhaps around May although I didn't see any research to establish the actual change point. Early cars consistently got the Medium Slate from what I gathered.

The MPC does not distinguish early or late, just lists the 2 colors.

Sorry if I misled anybody.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 65 black interior car originally came with a medium slate perforated headliner and like others mentioned I couldn't find it when the time came to replace it. So I replaced it with black and I remember how much of a change it made to the overall feel of the interior. I recently saw another black interior 65 that still had the slate headliner and I realized how nice it was to have a lighter headliner. It really brightened things up. It's a shame I couldn't find it when I needed it. I don't see the slate listed in the online Ames catalog. Does anyone know if slate is available anywhere? Or is the light blue close? And what is the difference between an assembled vs non assembled headliner?

"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger

Last edited by 6567GTO; 07-21-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:25 AM
Senior Chief

I had a untouched 65 way back in high school days that was red with black seats and black headliner.
Also had a aqua with aqua seats and aqua headliner around the same time..both original cars

I want my driveway to look like I'm stuck in the 70's!!!!
Old 07-22-2017, 11:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
'65 Model Series 37 Lemans was offered in 4 Body Styles. The 4 dr. Sedan (3769) was added to the line-up (not offered in '64), while the 2 dr. Sports Coupe (3727), 2 dr. Hardtop Coupe (3737), and 2 dr. Convertible (3767) were all carry-over Body Styles from '64.

The Lemans 4 dr. Sedan used a Cloth and Morrokide Vinyl interior trim in 2 color choices, Fisher Trim Code 265 was Black Preston Cloth with Black Morrokide and Code 298 was Burgundy Preston Cloth with Burgundy Morrokide. AFAIK, these were the only trim colors for this Lemans Body Style.

The other (3) '65 Lemans Body Styles used an all Morrokide Vinyl interior trim in 6 color choices.

Fisher Body Trim Code 213 is Black.
Code 214 is Turquoise.
Code 215 is Gold.
Code 216 is Red.
Code 217 is Blue.
Code 218 Parchment (with Black Appointments).

Check your Data Plate on the Firewall for the Trim Code. Should correspond to one of the ones I've listed.

Don't be thrown off if there is a "dash" no. after the Code, some of the Plants may have included an addition bit of coding in '65 but I think the base code was consistently coded at all Plants.

Assuming your Trim Code is 214, it is Turquoise.

Variations in colors from pix may be a function of the lighting or could be variability in the reproduction material dyes used by different sources.

Maybe post some pix of what your son has assuming his is original and perhaps somebody here has a recommendation for the best source of the "correct" color.
I just looked at the cowl plate and it is 214 on my sons 65 Lemans.