Old 07-24-2017, 10:32 AM
Senior Chief

Default 64 GTO Fender Part Numbers Wanted

Anyone have a 64 GTO with the original factory fenders? Looking for the left and right OEM part numbers. These are stamped on the inside lip that bolt to the inner fender. Not sure if GM replacement sheet metal had different numbers that’s why I need numbers from known factory fenders. Thanks…………………….

Old 07-24-2017, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

64 MPC says 9774178 and 4179.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Bob, much appreciated.....

Old 07-24-2017, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My RH is original. When I get a chance I will check the p/n stamping. IIRC, it was NOT the same as listed for SR. But I will try to confirm.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:47 PM
Senior Chief

John V.
Sounds good! That is my concern, that the SR number was different than the factory installed number, but the way GM sometimes number things, well..........

Old 07-24-2017, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My LH fender is original. Can you post a picture of where the P/N is located?

Old 07-24-2017, 10:29 PM
Senior Chief

OMT,
Will do tomorrow. A bit too dark out there now

Old 07-25-2017, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IIRC, open the hood and I believe it is stamped on the exposed vertical face of the fender, maybe about halfway between the front and rear of the fender.

The p/n (both RH and LH) does start with 977.

My LH fender is an original production fender (not a Service Replacement) but was swapped from a non-GTO (no GTO badge holes, not sure what model it came off of) after a fender bender at some point in its life.

The RH fender is original to my GTO, original paint under layers of color changing resprays.

One of my fenders had a complete 7 digit p/n, the other was missing a digit or 2 for unknown reasons (I didn't think it was because it was too lightly stamped, just seemed to have been stamped with a missing digit or 2) but I can't recall which side had the incomplete p/n.

A thought that just occurred to me, the p/n in the MPC may represent the fender "assembly" while the p/n stamped on the fender may only be for one particular piece of sheetmetal that became part of a fender assembly.

Either way, I would think that you want GTO fenders that have the same p/n stamping as originals.

Depending on what is found, it could be that the p/n on the GTO fender could be the same p/n as stamped on any original Tempest or Lemans fender (such as on my swapped LH fender).

I will try to get the p/ns off both of my fenders next time I visit the car.

Could then compare my nos. to OMTs and anybody else who posts.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe the stamping on the inner fender is a sub assembly as John mentioned. My fenders have 9773728 and 9773729 and both had the original build sheets glued to the inner side. Purdy darn sure that would make them original. Most folks don`t realize that the service part would have no piercings, that is, no holes for various emblems or moldings particular to a model. A blank would describe them as well like trunk lids, doors, qtr panels and hoods would also not have piercings as a service replacement. The original panels had piercings prior to body and final assembly operations. Piercings NOT done prior to assembly have been found however. I have never seen a GTO dash emblem that was not drilled rather than punched for the attaching hardware. Looks suspicious but quite correct never the less. I have seen the belt molding(paint dividers) holes at the sail panel both ways however. Either drilled or punched and correctly optioned on the build sheet.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:12 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
My LH fender is original. Can you post a picture of where the P/N is located?
Attached are a couple of pics showing where the numbers are stamped...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F!.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	459509   Click image for larger version

Name:	F2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	459510  

Old 07-25-2017, 11:44 AM
Senior Chief

War Eagle,
Thanks for the info, was trying to determine if different numbers were used on specific models. My original GTO fenders (bought the car in 69) were rust buckets from the Midwest winters/salt and were trashed ages ago. I then purchased some rust free Arizona fenders which were Lemans fenders based on the emblem holes. These fenders have the same part numbers as yours (I’m guessing you have a 64 GTO). At this point looks like the L & R fenders were initially the same then punched for the specific emblems.

I agree with the service part/piercings. My dad worked at Fisher Body stamping plant, though he was bean counter, and I know that stampings destined for the assembly line were punched with the appropriate emblem/trim holes and replacements were blank. Inventory cost money and it is cheaper to carry one replacement fender and let the body man drill the emblem holes. However, I did see a reportedly NOS 64 GTO fender with the emblem holes on E-Bay—for whatever that is worth

The holes for my dash emblem are nice and smooth for being drilled though the right hole is slightly lower. Yes, it is a real GTO-PHS. Sometimes it is cost effective to simply drill two holes during assembly rather set up a dedicated punch press.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
64 MPC says 9774178 and 4179.
The MPC also says those numbers fit T/6 and T/8. That would suggest NO holes

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 07-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My original left fender is 9773729. My right fender was replaced in mid-1965. I watched it come off of the delivery truck to make sure that it was a GTO fender. I found out 25 years later that the holes for the emblem were added after manufacture as they drilled them too low. I never knew it until the car was taken apart for paint. The P/N on the replacement is 9773728. My guess is that it was the same P/N in the factory, and that holes were drilled as appropriate after the stamping. Until this post I had always assumed they screwed me and got a Tempest fender from the junk yard. Apparently that wasn't true.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170725_134934 small.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	459524   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170725_135241 small.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	459525  

Old 07-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So did they already have replacement part numbers issued when the MPC came out in Septemberish 63?

Old 07-26-2017, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the 64 MPC titled effective Oct 1963 and replacements are listed. Want a brand new 1964 GTO body shell? No problem. They are listed in group 10.001 but only available during the current year production. The body shell would be a blank with no piercings making it suitable for the replacement of your 2027, 2127, 2227 style pillar coupe tempest, Lemans or GTO. You could not order the 2dr HT body shell 2237 until later in the year however. Need a new station wagon or convert body shell? That too could be ordered. The description in gr. 10.001 are listed as "Body shells" and complete body assemblies so the trunk lids and doors were included with the latter.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:01 PM
Senior Chief

OMT,
My “replacement” Lemans fenders have the same part numbers as yours so it appears that the L&R fenders are the same numbers throughout, just with different emblem holes, or none at all, per info from War Eagle and Old Goat Racer.

Interesting story on the replacement fender, wonder if the same for my left quarter panel. Doesn’t seem to fit correctly-won’t seal properly at the quarter window (hardtop) and the quarter extension sticks out past the panel. Then noticed that the GTO emblem is higher than the right side emblem which correctly lines up with the approximate edge of the trunk molding. Also noticed what appears to be a non-factory seam in the middle of the sail panel. Strange thing is all the spot welds appear factory and match the type and location of the welds on the right side.