Old 07-28-2017, 11:39 AM

Default 1964 GTO Front and Rear Bumper Bolts

I am trying to determine the correct mounting bolts to mount the bumper bracket to the frame. It appears that there are two bolt needed for each frame bracket. How many octagon washers are needed per bolt? How many serrated washer per bolt? Does anyone have any pictures that they can supply?

Thank you in advance, Chris

Last edited by cspecken; 07-28-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Correct bolts and quantities listed in the Ames Catalog. One octagon washer is needed per bumper bracket-to-frame bolt. There are four in front and four in back. There are also four serrated washers used each in the front and back on those same bolts on the frame side of the bracket under the bolt head.

Each chrome bumper bolt uses a rubber washer between the bracket and the bumper.

Attached are some pictures of the front bumper and brackets, horns, etc. Sorry I have none of the rear bumper.

All these pieces are in the Ames Catalog. There are pictures in the Chassis manual for 1964.

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Bumper Brackets, etc 013.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	459809   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Front Bumper 005.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	459810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Culver's Show FDL and Craigslist Items 014.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	459811  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 07-28-2017, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am just finishing up the bumpers on my car and purchased the rear bolt kit from ames only to find the nuts were wrong. A better choice that looks like the original can be found on ebay auction 231809655551. Dicks pictures are quite helpful and the only difference from mine are the original horn bolts are bright and have attached star washers on the nuts. It helps to take a bunch of pics during disassembly. How I miss not having a 35mm and a place to develop them. Luckily I took pictures 10 years ago before 35mm was abandoned.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the information. I ordered all of the parts thru Ames, but the sales person did not inform me at that time of the 64 rear bumper kit and the quantities of the serrated and octagon washers where wrong. I did not see an item number for the actual bolt, but I can clean up my original bolts and use them.

Thank you, Chris