Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2020, 12:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Strange alternator fan/pulley

After searching for some time, I finally located the correct alternator for my ‘65 GTO 1100729. 37 amp with a date code of 4J15. Started disassembling it tonight to do a rebuild. Not surprised that it appears to have been rebuilt at least once maybe more. I was surprised to find a one piece pulley/fan(see attached photo) instead of the usual separate fan and pulley. Never seen this before and I realize some previous rebuilder could have used whatever parts were available to result in a Frankenstein alternator. Is this the correct piece for this alternator? On a second question, I’ve always wondered why alternator pulleys and fans all seem to have. a slot made into them where they fit over the rotator shaft but the shaft has no key way machined into it. Any ideas on why this is so? Having problem posting two photos.