Old 07-06-2023, 05:09 PM

Default Radiator Shroud Restoration

Nu Finish Scratch Doctor was recommended to restore my radiator shroud. This is not working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is there a rattle can paint I should use?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_4860.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	615459  

Old 07-06-2023, 07:06 PM
Senior Chief

My 8-track player cover is black but had a whitish haze over for some reason. I used this stuff and it looks like new. IF it were me I would try it on my shroud, just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-07-2023, 08:11 AM

Default shroud

Burd-

I guess you could try wet sanding the scratches out and then polishing them back up some?

Seems like the plastic refinish paint might take away all of the veining in the original plastic product?

I use Vaseline on my shroud for a fresh finish.

Jim

Old 07-07-2023, 09:44 AM
Suspended

heat gun all over it first to take haze off the surface, try out of sight first, then a buff with a black rubber/plastic trim polish. If that isn't working, not coming back to black, look at the various trim coatings mentioned. Matt black would be incorrect for this item, and would stain easily from coolant splash, still had a sheen when fresh.

Old 07-07-2023, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Bird View Post
Nu Finish Scratch Doctor was recommended to restore my radiator shroud. This is not working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is there a rattle can paint I should use?
It may not be 100% correct color but if you're not going for a concours resto, there is a spray can paint you can use that will have very good results & be a satin sheen that will look good. SEM color coat landau black, designed for plastic/vinyl and is a professional quality paint. Can buy it at most local auto paint stores or online from summit, jegs, amazon etc, or even walmart online if you prefer.... dont matter where you buy it, its a high quality paint that works great if prepped & applied right.

If you used any other product on the shroud it should be cleaned very good before paint, dawn dish soap with warm water or other strong grease/wax remover like simple green, then scuff up with a scotch brite pad or fine sand paper then a final wipe with rubbing alcohol is what ive always used to prep the numerous pieces ive painted, they all look great 7-10-15+ years later.

Heres a pic of a shroud on one of my cars i did years ago, being its a paint, coolant or other light spots of auto fluids wont stain it. If some gets on it, it wipes/cleans right off & the normal level of heat from the rad doesnt damage it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4580.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	615515  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2023, 08:19 AM

Default Thanks so much

Thanks so much for the response guys. Not sure yet what I'll do, but at lease I have ideas to move forward. Thanks again everyone.

Old 07-08-2023, 01:03 PM

Some people say that boiled linseed oil restores the color in plastic parts like that. I'd try it on the inside first.

Old 07-09-2023, 04:22 AM
Suspended

Probably the same effect as heating the surface so the oils refresh.

Old 07-09-2023, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try flood penetrol on a little spot se show it works first if it’s good that will last a long time.

I have been doing aluminum intakes - brackets etc
with my Vapor hone (blaster) set up. It works amazing because it rolls the glass bead or other media across the surface. Brings alluminum intakes to the like new perfect sheen
If I can find a damaged plastic shroud I’m going to test it on one because I think it would work really well to restore them to like new with appropriate sheen I’ve done some other parts with plastic on them and the plastic parts were like new coming out. It won’t remove RTV or anything like that from a part (like an intake gasket surface) it’s very gentile .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!