Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-20-2023, 10:45 AM

Default Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit

I can not find a rebuild kit for my 1977 Pontiac Transam 6.6 Master Cylinder. All my catalogs and my searches skip the years 1975 through 1981. Can someone help me please? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-20-2023, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have a part number that can be searched?

Old 10-20-2023, 01:54 PM

No part number.

Old 10-21-2023, 01:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can find a part number OEM, or aftermarket ... you can search ebay. That's what I had to do for my 68 GTO ... it's looking like the aftermarket companies have stopped producing them. You can seemingly get rebuild kits for the aftermarket replacement master cylinders but not for the OEM MCs.

Old 10-21-2023, 01:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thousands of years ago, I learned that a rebuild kit cost as much as a rebuilt master cylinder, and the kit didn't have a warranty.

Old 10-22-2023, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ended up chasing down an aftermarket NOS kit for around $40, application was slightly different but the sale photos showed parts the same as came out of mine, ended up working for me. If you have a unique master cylinder, like the GTO with the bleeders at the fittings, you won't find the proper rebuilt unit available.

Another option is send it out to a rebuilder ... somehow they seem to manage to get the right parts. In fact I think the parts in most of the rebuilt units will work fine ... but no one seems to be able to get just the internals.

I actually considered buying a rebuilt unit just to use the internals out of it, but I wasn't sure if it was exactly the same.