Old 04-15-2003, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen several posts where the fuel gage is either reading empty or full and everyone suggests checking the ground wire. Has anyone had the experience where the fuel gage reads 1/4 all the time?

----------------------------------------------------------
When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle. It makes the neighbor's dog that barks all the time run to the end of his chain and gag himself.

Advice for the day: If you have a lot of tension and you get a headache, do what it says on the aspirin bottle: "Take two aspirin," and "Keep away from children."

Old 04-15-2003, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen several posts where the fuel gage is either reading empty or full and everyone suggests checking the ground wire. Has anyone had the experience where the fuel gage reads 1/4 all the time?

When I'm feeling down, I like to whistle. It makes the neighbor's dog that barks all the time run to the end of his chain and gag himself.

Advice for the day: If you have a lot of tension and you get a headache, do what it says on the aspirin bottle: "Take two aspirin," and "Keep away from children."

Old 04-19-2003, 08:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

what a lucky guy you are 1/4 full or is that empty? Usually from under the car or from the trunk you can get to the wire going to the tank. while there clean the ground for the tank. check for power. If there is power disconnect wire{tip: If you can,t reach it go to front of car and unplug tail lite wiring loom{by the parking brake} and check color code of fuel tank wire} guage should go to empty if not bad guage if it moves then you have a sending unit problem

connman

Old 04-21-2003, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This weekend I crawled under the car and cleaned the ground wire, since everything has been blasted, painted and undercoated, I actuaaly just scraped the area to metal where the ground attaches. I did not think to look at the gauge when I unplugged the wire to the sending unit, I will do that. So if the gauge doesn't move then a bad gauge, if it moves back to 1/4 when plugged in then bad sending unit. Correct?

Old 04-21-2003, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does it move at all with the key off or on?

If it doesn't move at all,you have a broken connection somewhere probably.(No power or no ground)

johnta1
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-21-2003, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It stays at 1/4 all the time, switch on or off. I do remember seeing at 1/2 once then back to 1/4 after the switch was turned on.

When the key is off what should the gauge read, empty, half, or full?

Old 04-21-2003, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Most gauges will be at 1/4 full.When power is supplied it energizes the coil inside and pulls it to zero if it's empty (or whatever level it's at).

johnta1
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-21-2003, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like I am not getting power to the sender or it is not getting to the gauge. Besides at the sender where would be some other connection I should check. I know the flat cable connections need to be checked anywhere else?

Old 04-22-2003, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Now it is getting wierd. I checked the voltage to the sending unit and I am getting 4 volts. I polished the connector at the sending unit and checked continuity for the ground. When I looked at the gauge it was reading around 1/2 which looked good, since that is about how much gas should still be in the tank. But, if I turn the key off then back on again, the gauge goes back to 1/4. If I unplug and plug the wire to the sender and check the gauge it is back to about 1/2. Turn the key off then on its back to 1/4.

Is this still a bad ground or possibley the sending unit is bad? Can anyone tell me if 4 volts is the proper voltage to the sending unit?

Thanks

Old 04-22-2003, 05:20 PM

I have the same exact problem in my 66 catalina, I've cleaned the ground wire, but that didn't seem to help. I've noticed when I drive around corners that the needle dips below 1/4. Have you noticed the same? I'll check the voltage this weekend, and let you know what I get. But if you make any progress before then, please let me know.

Old 04-25-2003, 05:48 PM

Okay, so I checked my voltages. I've got 12 volts into the gauge, and 4 volts coming out. Out side of the car near the sending unit I have 4 volts. I think it might be the gauge, beacuse even if its
unplugged it just stays at 1/4. I think I'm going to pull the tank this weekend and play with the sending
unit. Does anyone know how the fuel gauge works? Are there any transistors or anything that might need to
be replaced?

- Nelson

Old 04-25-2003, 06:44 PM

Okay, so after messing around with the gauge a bit I
think I made some progress. I pulled the gauge apart
and cleaned all of the contacts. And I took voltage readings again, this time I got 12 volts in (Dk Brn wire) and 6 volts out (Light Brn Wire). And now the
gauge sits at just above empty, which sounds about right. I don't have any gas in my cans to find out for sure. But whenever I move the needle by hand it
moves back to the same spot every time. I also noticed on the back of the gauge there is a small piece of metal wrapped in cloth with a thin wire wrapped arround it. Could I remove that and just use a piece of copper instead ?

- Nelson

Old 04-25-2003, 07:40 PM

I had sort of the same problem with my 69 FB. After 2 days of trouble shooting I found out it was in my dash light dimmer switch. I clean it up and have not had any more problems with the gas gauge. Why this fixed it I have no clue.

Old 04-30-2003, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Haven't been under the car since the last time but I will check the voltages and the dimmer switch.

GMAN6900 - Did your dimmer switch work before you cleaned the connections? My dimmer does work at this time and if I don't need to get into removing it and cleaning it that would keep me from wasting time where I shouldn't.

Old 04-30-2003, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Assuming the gauge is good, the ground at the tank must be good, and the gauge must have a good battery feed from the ignition switch, and the gauge itself must have a good ground. A bad ground at the guage itself looks like it would cause a constant low reading. If it would help, I can send you the related sections from the '67 manual (should be similar).

Regards, George

Old 04-30-2003, 04:14 PM

Halfway, it was messing up. When I tried to dim my dash lights, the lights would flicker and the gas gauge would go crazy.

Old 05-01-2003, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Like I said, the dimmer works fine so I imagine it is not in the dimmer switch.

George,

Yes I would like any information you think might help.

you can e-mail me at mredmond@point-inc.com

Thanks,

Mark

Old 05-14-2003, 05:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Halfway any luck fixing your problem?

I have the same problem, guage sits at 1/4 tank.

You mention a ground wire at the sending unit, where is this wire. That could be my problem, I only have one brown wire going to my tank.

During my rebuild I thought this was a minor thing but now it bugs me.

Please let us know.

All good things are worth waiting for. "Yeah right", I want them now!

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity".

1966 GTO Post Coupe, 467ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 11.6 118mph
1966 GTO Post Coupe, "The Bright Idea" 535ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 9.58 141mph
Old 05-14-2003, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am still trying to track this down. Mine has the brown wire that goes from the flat cable to a single pin connector on the sending unit. There is a ground wire that connects to the sending unit, it looks like a spade connector on the other side of where the fuel line connects to the sending unit. This ground wire is then screwed to the bottom of the body behind the rear seat from underneath.

My problem is I can disconnect the brown wire and plug it back when the car is on, not running, and the gauge seems to be reading the right level. When I turn the key off then on again it is back to 1/4. I scraped the area where the ground screws to the body to improve the ground but no luck. I haven't completely removed the ground wire from the sending unit as I can't tell if the spade connector is a straight or a 90° connector and I don't want to break it.

I will probably try to look at it again this weekend. I will give you an update then.

If anyone can tell me if the ground connector is a straight or 90° I would appriciate it, that way I am not trying to pull it in the wrong direction.

Old 05-14-2003, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I get a chance to climb under my car I'll look at mine also and see if (1) I have a ground wire and (2) If I do I will try to tell what type of connection it is and let you know also.

Boy, I hope the problem is just a bad ground.

You mentioned that you scraped the area for your connection, go one step further and use a star washer and some dielectric grease to the connection.

All good things are worth waiting for. "Yeah right", I want them now!

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity".

1966 GTO Post Coupe, 467ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 11.6 118mph
1966 GTO Post Coupe, "The Bright Idea" 535ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 9.58 141mph