Senior Chief

thanks

Old 06-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No Prob.

Let me know if it works

Old 06-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Senior Chief

bad news, First off I made sure there was no power through the ign as I was bolting the new relay on the firewall, the wiring connector somehow hit a ground and sparked or arced, like it shorted out. I quickly moved the connector and checked to see if the ign was rotated, it WAS NOT. I thought that was strange, power at the connector but no ign.
I decided to check for voltage through the connector as I did last night and this time the line is dead, makes no difference where the ign is set, on, off or acc there was no voltage. I checked the fuse and there is voltage on both sides of the fuse, I then turn everything off and tested for OHM from the connector to the fuse and there is no reaction or reading at all. Somewhere in the line there is a problem and now I am really lost......

Last edited by InjunNick; 06-01-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nick :
I have been following your issues here. If it were me i would sit back and study the whole lot of problems. It seems to me that you have a big ignition problem or a major messed up dash harness. From your pics on the original thread i see after market terminals, this tells me someone has been messing with your dash harness. You have mentioned numerous things that do not work , i would seriously consider buying a new dash harness from M&h wire fabricators. Their harnesses are just like factory original, the quality is #1 can not be beat. Once you put in a new harness, i would almost bet your issues will be all solved, except for your igniton issue .That one reads like a cylinder isssue, and steering colum issue. Just my .02 worth
Scott

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 06-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Senior Chief

I have been thinking the same as you, I will be honest, I cannot tackle a job like that if I need to remove the dash to do it right, it is just to much for me and my nerves and heart. I need to take it easy and this problem in this thread has me all wound up. I am on enough meds that I do not need anymore...... thanks for the advice.....

Old 06-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nick,

I completely agree. You have a major issue but I wouldn't be too quick to walk away from it.

It's actually really easy to drop your dash. Once your dash is down you can easily see where all of your harnesses go. I would definately purchase the new harnesses and swap them.

I just finished purchasing new harnesses from our sponser and they are top quality.

They are all plug in and easy to do once you have your service manual you will have a guide.

If you want I can let you know which harnesses to get and how to drop your dash.

Be prepared to wait though as it takes 4 weeks or more to get them from PY as they don't stock them.

Let me know if you want help and myself and other people on the board can guide you through this.

It's really not that hard.

Let me know if I can help.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nick
Do a search on the 69 forum , I'm sure someone has removed and installed a dash harness. It may not be as bad as you have imagined. I did my 67 dash harness was not too bad. If your 69 is anything like my 70 Olds then it should not be hard at all to remove your instruments. On my Olds they come out from the front. Best of Luck Nick these electrical issues are a nightmare, but very solvable.
Scott

Old 06-02-2007, 03:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nick,

I have dropped my dash many times and have mine apart right now. I am replacing 3 harnesses in my car as we speak and it really isn't that complicated.

If you have real concerns about your health and feel it would be better for you to have somebody else do it then that makes complete sense.

If you need somebody to walk you through the process then I and others here will help you.

Do what's right for you. But it really isn't as bad as you think

Old 06-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO Noob
Nick,

I completely agree. You have a major issue but I wouldn't be too quick to walk away from it.

It's actually really easy to drop your dash. Once your dash is down you can easily see where all of your harnesses go. I would definately purchase the new harnesses and swap them.

I just finished purchasing new harnesses from our sponser and they are top quality.

They are all plug in and easy to do once you have your service manual you will have a guide.

If you want I can let you know which harnesses to get and how to drop your dash.

Be prepared to wait though as it takes 4 weeks or more to get them from PY as they don't stock them.

Let me know if you want help and myself and other people on the board can guide you through this.

It's really not that hard.

Let me know if I can help.

Noob, thanks again for the offer, if you could give me an idea on what I would need that would be helpfull. I might as well replace the engine harness also and others if needed. Remember this is a dash with Guages and a 4sp with A/C......... Nick

Old 06-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate`s67gto
Nick
Do a search on the 69 forum , I'm sure someone has removed and installed a dash harness. It may not be as bad as you have imagined. I did my 67 dash harness was not too bad. If your 69 is anything like my 70 Olds then it should not be hard at all to remove your instruments. On my Olds they come out from the front. Best of Luck Nick these electrical issues are a nightmare, but very solvable.
Scott

Scott, thanks again for the advice and help.....

Old 06-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Senior Chief

Just so you both know, I just sold another car because of 2 issues, one being it needed a dash harness and I was very frustrated with it.
After I sold it my wife said why don't I spend a little more and get a car that doesn't have problems like that and make sure you get a car that is already restored and painted so you can drive it and enjoy it.... I thought I did.....
At least I can drive it at night when the temp drops to 80deg, there is no way I can drive the GTO during the day when the temps are above 100deg without the air.......

Old 06-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjunNick
Just so you both know, I just sold another car because of 2 issues, one being it needed a dash harness and I was very frustrated with it.
After I sold it my wife said why don't I spend a little more and get a car that doesn't have problems like that and make sure you get a car that is already restored and painted so you can drive it and enjoy it.... I thought I did.....
At least I can drive it at night when the temp drops to 80deg, there is no way I can drive the GTO during the day when the temps are above 100deg without the air.......
Nick :
Just so you know, there was many days, i was going to park my 67 at the bottom of the lake. Why electrical issues as well , i decided to change all the wiring on the whole car front to back. I'm very glad i did, no issues, what so ever with electrical since, none nada. By the way it took 1.5 days work .
Scott

Old 06-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Suspended

blower power lead at relay is off the alt. directly with a fused wire. that is not disconnected with the ignition. Check for that fuse in the engine compartment. it will be blown. most of the confusion will be eliminated when you see the wiring diagram in the manuals you ordered. as you have learned, very hard to explain in words in a thread.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't give up Injun, you're almost there.
Just gotta get your thinking cap on straight.

We won't let you down.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjunNick
Noob, thanks again for the offer, if you could give me an idea on what I would need that would be helpfull. I might as well replace the engine harness also and others if needed. Remember this is a dash with Guages and a 4sp with A/C......... Nick
Nick;
There is only 2 harnesses available with and without guages for a 69 GTO. cost $399.00 . Engine harness will be much cheaper i did not look that up 1 would be surprised if ti was $150.00. Since you have air conditioning they make those as well . Here is the link to M&H http://www.wiringharness.com/
Scott

Old 06-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer
blower power lead at relay is off the alt. directly with a fused wire. that is not disconnected with the ignition. Check for that fuse in the engine compartment. it will be blown. most of the confusion will be eliminated when you see the wiring diagram in the manuals you ordered. as you have learned, very hard to explain in words in a thread.
You were 100% right, thank you, I once again have power, well sort of, I left the ign on acc all night after I thought I was back to square 1 again and frustrated........
I have the battery on a charge......

Old 06-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Nick :
Just so you know, there was many days, i was going to park my 67 at the bottom of the lake. Why electrical issues as well , i decided to change all the wiring on the whole car front to back. I'm very glad i did, no issues, what so ever with electrical since, none nada. By the way it took 1.5 days work .
Scott
I was going to rent a slip for the same lake your 67 was going to be in.....
I hope it only takes 1 week to do mine......

Old 06-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Nick;
There is only 2 harnesses available with and without guages for a 69 GTO. cost $399.00 . Engine harness will be much cheaper i did not look that up 1 would be surprised if ti was $150.00. Since you have air conditioning they make those as well . Here is the link to M&H http://www.wiringharness.com/
Scott

I will call them on monday or tues and talk with them, thanks for the link....

Old 06-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67
Don't give up Injun, you're almost there.
Just gotta get your thinking cap on straight.

We won't let you down.

thanks, I am glad I found this site, you guys and maybe a gal, I don't know for sure have helped me in all my different posts I started. I can safely say that I have learned alot of info so far about my 69..... thanks again, Nick

Old 06-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just keep saying to yourself;

"Ain't no hill for a stepper!"