Old 01-30-2011, 12:46 AM

You’re the first person that has related the same story to me!

Mine started with the new Vintage AC put in! The old regulator was running 16 volts and had to be chunked! The computer controls on the Vintage AC Gen IV could not handle it!

The installer went through several regulators and found one by Standard that seemed to work, but said it would buzz at start up and then stop! Drove it home and it would do it every time the RPM’s got low!

I also just bought the car and like all others I have had, had so many issues ranging from the wrong accelerator pedal bracket, wrong carb, wrong linkage, wires not plugged in and the list of hits keep coming!

I ordered a Delco regulator and I thought things would get better and did briefly. Got people telling me to do this and that and not really any direction and no one had ever heard of the problem. Well finally broke down and got a rebuilt alternator and things got better, but trying to figure things out, I think it probably fried the regulator!

Thanks for the heads up! First person to have the problem that I know! Now to put on a new water pump!(GRIN)

I love the looks of the car, but have so much to still do to get her right!

Thank you!
Dan Mascheck
Wharton, TX

Old 01-30-2011, 11:59 AM

if you don't have the alternator light working correctly that will cause problems.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:05 PM

The light never comes on! I know the car has a new harness, and I checked the bulb and it seems OK, but I also have an under dash meter pod and all three meters work fine.

A couple of friends and I have been discussing that and Peter Serio brought that up as well! Amazing the wire from the light goes to the 4’Th post on the regulator. ODD!

Another post talked about a bad alternator and I have changed mine and so far with very limited driving it seems fine! I may have fried the Delco and 700 RPM was the magic point where it would happen!

Thanks!

Dan Mascheck
Wharton, TX

Old 01-30-2011, 02:19 PM

i believe the power through the alt light with the key on powers up the alternator at start up. once running the power from the alternator overcomes the power from the key and the light goes off . i'm sure if you do a search you can find a better description of how this works.

that is why you run a jumper from #4 to #1 terminal. power bypasses the regulator.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:41 PM

Well had some fun under the dash a while ago while it was showering outside. Nothing like lying on your back, trying to hold a flash light and a volt meter!

Checked all the fuses on the block to make sure they were right! Then without the key on checked the voltage going across! The turn signal lights and dome light, of course are always on and others are with the key on! Well when I turned the key on number 4 fuse shows no voltage ever! Key on or off and it says Instruments! Now to find out why the one fuse that I should have on when the key is on does not come on? All should be tied to the ignition switch! If I remember right it has a pink wire that leads from the lights to the ignition! Another thrilling problem!

Cranked the car up and so far no buzzing Took the Delco Regulator apart and the contacts look like they have had some heat and if you ever heard the buzzing it was pretty loud. The resistors on back look like they have had some heat! Ran the AC test on the alternator and this time the voltage is not all over the place like the last alternator!

Sorting out a car that has just been built by the three Stooges is wonderful!

Dan Mascheck
Wharton, TX

Old 01-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Instrument panel light fuse only has power when light switch is ON.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:43 PM

OK, will try that! thought I made a discovery with my problems! Still none of the warning lights go on when the ignition switch is turned on!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Dan View Post
Sorting out a car that has just been built by the three Stooges is wonderful!
Sounds like if they'd built it it would have been better than what you ended up with.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 PM

those resistors always look like they have been hot.

sorry about the last post the reference to the jumper wire was if you convert to internal regulated alternator.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the info!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:58 PM

oh yea get a head light easier than holding a flashlight.

my 66 chassis manual shows power to the alternator tell tale lamp comes directly from ignition #1 on the ignition switch. not the fuse box.

Last edited by aldbeir; 01-31-2011 at 12:09 AM.