Old 08-31-2003, 10:33 AM
Suspended

Well yesterday i pulled the intake, sure enough i had the wrong gasket on the intake. i was happy that it was something simple, i put the 65 intake gasket on and bolted it all down and of course I forget the water housing oring lol! So I took the bolts all out again and stuck the ring in.

Then I turned it on, WOW much more quiet now(im sure the guy up the street is happier now)and it runs a hell of alot better too! I check all the fluids, tested the brakes and lit up one of my Arturo Fuente Don Carlos #2 cigars and started down the street.

I was waiting for something to break but to my surprise I made it to the first stop sign, turned the corner and seen my mailman, he said (let me see what you got) so of course I dropped it into first and lit the tires up LOL, got to the next stop sign and turned back onto my street, all along placing the car in neutral and gunning the motor, everyone on the street was turning their heads. pulled it back into the driveway and covered it back up, it was a short ride but 2years in the making, so I didn’t want to push my luck:} I still need to get some more courage to take a longer drive, but I want to check some more stuff out before doing so.

All in all I had a blast! Its too bad i missed the whole summer though, but I will be all set for next spring! It’s all down hill from here!!

http://gto.1colony.com/

Old 08-31-2003, 10:33 AM
Suspended

Well yesterday i pulled the intake, sure enough i had the wrong gasket on the intake. i was happy that it was something simple, i put the 65 intake gasket on and bolted it all down and of course I forget the water housing oring lol! So I took the bolts all out again and stuck the ring in.

Then I turned it on, WOW much more quiet now(im sure the guy up the street is happier now)and it runs a hell of alot better too! I check all the fluids, tested the brakes and lit up one of my Arturo Fuente Don Carlos #2 cigars and started down the street.

I was waiting for something to break but to my surprise I made it to the first stop sign, turned the corner and seen my mailman, he said (let me see what you got) so of course I dropped it into first and lit the tires up LOL, got to the next stop sign and turned back onto my street, all along placing the car in neutral and gunning the motor, everyone on the street was turning their heads. pulled it back into the driveway and covered it back up, it was a short ride but 2years in the making, so I didn’t want to push my luck:} I still need to get some more courage to take a longer drive, but I want to check some more stuff out before doing so.

All in all I had a blast! Its too bad i missed the whole summer though, but I will be all set for next spring! It’s all down hill from here!!

Old 08-31-2003, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats Joe !
If that motor runs as good as it looks your biggest problem will be wiping the smile off your face!

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/TimSimpson66GTO.html

Old 09-01-2003, 06:04 AM

Way to go Joe! I think reading your posts have been great. Now you need to post some pictures on this site or your site. Congrats!

Old 09-01-2003, 09:53 AM

I know the feeling! Felt the same way when I took my '64 around the block about a month ago. Then of course the radiator had to come out and be recored. Now I am dealing with some of the same carb issues that you have. It certainly puts a smile on your face when you have it out on the road, though. Good luck!
Dick

Old 09-01-2003, 07:21 PM
Suspended

Hey thanks guys, more pictures are coming, tomorrow ill try to get a pic of the 2 1/2 exhaust system with 40 series flowmasters and twin chrome tips coming out of the side behind the rear wheels, im finally ready to pull the clamps off and weld it up. i did 6more laps around the block today so i think im ready for a highway now!!!

Old 09-01-2003, 09:52 PM

Joe, for every summer you miss, there is a extra summer in front of you. Just make sure the car is safe, brakes, gas leaks,steering, drive train etc. Tom.