Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default You be the Judge.....

Interested in some input here...

I had a lot heap of trouble logging onto the PY order system. I must have tried 6 or 8 times. (At the same time, I read others were experiancing the same issues). I got onto LiveHelp but that was no help so I gave up. I wanted to order seat foams for my '66 GP.

Couple of days later, a Saturday morning PY time, I tried again and got on. Couldn't believe it and in my state of wonder, I clicked on the wrong item. The line above. I had also been told (on LiveHelp), to make a note on the order stating they - PY- would match Ames price ($189 for a pair). Looked REAL hard but couldn't find a note area so I thought I'd just put the order through and e-mail PY Sales for a correction.

Soon as I clicked the final check out I realised my item order error. Within FOUR minutes I had e-mailed PY stating my error and questioning the sales price. I thought this would be easily corrected. I checked for a response daily without an answer so I e-mailed again. No answer.

Tuesday morning PY time, (Midnight my time), I contacted LiveHelp to question my order only to be told they had shipped out the wrong goods (they shipped what I ordered), on the Monday. I was also told I should have telephoned to explain the error.
Hello - PY don't work on Saturdays.

So, I ask did anyone check the incoming Sales e-mails on the Monday morning? The answer was NO they hadn't.

Now if I follow the tracking trail correctly, PY notified UPS in the morning for a pick-up but the consignment wasn't collected till the afternoon. Would that not be a reasonable time for some-one to have checked the incoming e-mails and corrected the error? Apparently not!!

So my goods get shipped right out to Pomona CA where they were intercepted and returned to PY. PY were helpful in arainging the interception. That part was good.

PY charged me full price $205.80 plus $40.00 shipping.
Ames price was (is), $189 plus $28.00 shipping.

PY have now credited me the $205.80 but not the shipping. They are claiming the $40.00 for the return shipping but did it cost that much????

So I'm $40.00 out of pocket yet Ames can (have already), shipped the same goods to the same address for $28.00 and they are $16.80 cheaper on the buy price.

I feel badly done by. I think PY should have credited me the full amount of $245.80.
Am I being unreasonable?
I WANT to buy from PY again one day but this is tainting my thoughts on them.

To conclude, I have to say my conversations with PY have been very polite. No axe to grind there.

Opinions welcomed.....

Old 06-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Heybuck, this is not a general discussion area for members. It is a one on one area to resolve existing issues. If you want comments from others, you should post a similar topic in the Pontiac BBB. That's why you didn't get any replies here.

Since it is here, I can address this from our perspective. If I understand you correctly, your grievance is because of an item you ordered in error, realized it before we shipped and therefore feel unfairly charged for the shipping because we should have stopped the shipment because your e-mail reached us before the shipment was made. The real issue here is your location. 6000 miles away from Hatfield PA! Otherwise you would have picked up the phone and called us and the problem would have been easily solved. E-mails aren't equal to phone calls. It is a valuable tool no doubt and it has allowed someone like yourself that is on the other side of the world to have access to many things you never thought possible before. But the world still uses the phone for urgency. When you can e-mail the police, fire department or ambulance and get immediate service, then we'll all be ready to consider e-mail an appropriate communication medium for emergencies. In this case, the person you e-mailed (ed) was on vacation that week. We were downloading orders in his absence but we don't go into his e-mail account. A $2 phone call in the middle of your night is what would have saved you the $40 bucks. So while I feel bad that UPS got your money, it's not like we took it from you. It's not like we saw your e-mail and ignored it. We just didn't open 'the mail' in time to catch it.

As far as the price match is concerned, we do match prices as long as the part is the same quality. In your case the part was in fact the same quality but we would have no way to know you needed a match because you couldn't enter a note in your order. The note system only works if you are a registered online user. You must not have used the login/password member area. Otherwise there is the ability to add a note for each item as well as a general order note. Anyway, we still would have honored the price by crediting you back the difference even though the order went through at the higher price as long as you e-mailed us that information at the time of the order. We just can't start getting into customers notifying us of price discrepencies days and weeks later. You can imagine what a paperwork nightmare that would become.

Heybuck, You have been a loyal PY forums member and customer for many years. I think you know we are Pontiac enthusiasts and we think like enthusiasts. We're fair and I think after re-reading this, I think you will realize you were treated fairlly.

Anyway, Why didn't you order the correct kit from us when you e-mailed us with your mistake? Were we out of stock?

Last edited by Ccass; 06-30-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Heybuck, this is not a general discussion area for members. It is a one on one area to resolve existing issues. If you want comments from others, you should post a similar topic in the Pontiac BBB. That's why you didn't get any replies here. OK, sorry. I posted this late last night. Maybe I shouldn't have.

Since it is here, I can address this from our perspective. If I understand you correctly, your grievance is because of an item you ordered in error, realized it before we shipped and therefore feel unfairly charged for the shipping because we should have stopped the shipment because your e-mail reached us before the shipment was made. The real issue here is your location. 6000 miles away from Hatfield PA! Otherwise you would have picked up the phone and called us and the problem would have been easily solved. E-mails aren't equal to phone calls. The problem Chris is, it was a Saturday morning your time and PY does not operate on Saturday if I read your web-site correctly? I have phoned PY in the past and had good conversations with Ed. Please be assured I am not shy about spending a dollar to get things rightIt is a valuable tool no doubt and it has allowed someone like yourself that is on the other side of the world to have access to many things you never thought possible before. But the world still uses the phone for urgency. When you can e-mail the police, fire department or ambulance and get immediate service, then we'll all be ready to consider e-mail an appropriate communication medium for emergencies. In this case, the person you e-mailed (ed) was on vacation that week. We were downloading orders in his absence but we don't go into his e-mail account.Ahhhh, I would have thought that if I am e-mailing "Sales at PY" I would be e-mailing a central order desk. Not a personal e-mail address? A $2 phone call in the middle of your night is what would have saved you the $40 bucks. So while I feel bad that UPS got your money, it's not like we took it from you. It's not like we saw your e-mail and ignored it. We just didn't open 'the mail' in time to catch it.

As far as the price match is concerned, we do match prices as long as the part is the same quality. In your case the part was in fact the same quality but we would have no way to know you needed a match because you couldn't enter a note in your order. The note system only works if you are a registered online user. You must not have used the login/password member area. Let me assure you I AM a registered user. I use the Green button to log into the order area. I looked really hard for the "notes" area without success. As late as last night (before I posted this matter), I looked again by placing an order for some bump stops. I went right through the process till the last point was to confirm the order at which time I backed out. So where exactly is this "notes area'? Maybe your system doesn't like the fact I'm international so it will not show?Otherwise there is the ability to add a note for each item as well as a general order note. Anyway, we still would have honored the price by crediting you back the difference even though the order went through at the higher price as long as you e-mailed us that information at the time of the order. We just can't start getting into customers notifying us of price discrepencies days and weeks later. You can imagine what a paperwork nightmare that would become. Well, I mentioned all that in the e-mail I sent only 4 minutes after placing the (incorrect) order.

Heybuck, You have been a loyal PY forums member and customer for many years.Thank you I think you know we are Pontiac enthusiasts and we think like enthusiasts. We're fair and I think after re-reading this, I think you will realize you were treated fairlly.

Anyway, Why didn't you order the correct kit from us when you e-mailed us with your mistake? Were we out of stock?Well to tell you the truth I was just fed up with PY. Remember I had tried to order several days earlier without being able to log-on. I contacted LiveHelp and that wasn't any real help at all. Then a few days later - wonder of wonders - I was able to log on. Then you didn't reply to my mails and the wrong stuff was sent out. I admit that I made the error but when I ordered it was 11.30 at night and I was tired. That's not an excuse but mistakes do happen when we are tired. When I checked Ames again, their order system is just so easy to navigate that I just thought I'd place the order with them. Maybe I'll regret that, Don't know but I'll find out in the end. I see you are going to revise the ordering system shortly. That's no bad thing Chris - I don't think the current system is doing you any favours.
Maybe I'll give you another go another time. I'm sure I will. Ian

Old 07-01-2008, 03:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

By the way, I DID appreciate your very prompt refund. I thought it might take a bit longer than it did.