Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Default '53 Pontiac Chieftain 2-door sedan

Health is forcing the sale of my '53 Pontiac Chieftain 2-door sedan, style number 2511 project car. The car was originally a straight six but the engine was siezed when I bought it so I purchased a good used straight eight to replace it. The car is in typical condition for a 56 year old vehicle. It has some rust in the body and a small amount in the floors as well. Repair panels are available for it from some Ebay vendors and the rust is not particularly bad. The frame is good overall with just some scale on it and one rusty spot on the driver's side in the toeboard area.

The engine is a 1952 straight eight that I put all new gaskets and seals into. The engine was very clean inside and looked to have been rebuilt at some point in its life so I did not bother with a full-on rebuild. I painted it a lighter shade of green than original, and it needs a little touching up since the installation caused a few paint scuffs. I'll include a can of the paint for that purpose.

The interior is pretty good as you can see in the pictures, not mint, but not bad. The original steering wheel is not with the car any longer but I will include a later steering wheel so the car can be steered. The car is otherwise very complete including five original wheels and four original hubcaps.One tail light lens is damaged and the front parking light lenses are off the car but included and undamaged. When you hook a battery to the car, all the lights, gauges and horns work except for the dome light. Likely just the bulb, but I haven't gotten there yet.

The transmission is out of the car right now and the clutch was shot so I have not bothered to put it back in. The brakes are non-functional and I have not looked into the reason. I would assume that the brake system needs a complete overhaul. Parts fo this are readily available from NAPA, Kanter's and California Pontiac Restoration. Needless to say the car is not in driveable condition. It can be rolled around and the parking brake seems to hold the car for yard moving purposes but I would not risk my life on that. The gas tank straps were cut out of the car and the tank is held in with shock cords, why, I do not know.

The chrome as you can see is pretty toasted, particularly the rear bumper which is rusted out on both ends. The stainless trim is in good shape and so is all of the glass with only mild delamination on the vent windows. All the windows roll up and down, the doors open and close easily as does the trunk. The hood hinge springs were removed before I bought the car and I never got them back in so while the hood does open, it needs to be propped up to stay that way.

Included in this auction is a reproduction shop manual, used gas tank straps, some engine gaskets, a pair of stainless gravel shields, and if the buyer wants it, the original engine which is partially disassembled in my garage. If you take the original engine, I have gaskets and piston rings for that which I will include. I also have a Hydramatic bellhousing that you are also welcome to if you buy the car.

This would make a good project for someone with the time, talent and health to see it through, I wanted to make an old-school gasser out of it, but I just can't make that happen right now.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

$800.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53 Chieftain 004.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	183576   Click image for larger version

Name:	53 Chieftain 006.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	183577   Click image for larger version

Name:	53 Chieftain 001.jpg