Old 12-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Trans oil change

2 speed auto has been slipping and grinding in between gear changes, especially when hot. Time for a trans oil change, hasn't been done since I got the car.

Crawled under the transaxle, unscrewed the filler tube. ATF came out dark brown-red.
Hate to think 1+ qt of that dirty stuff is still in the converter! Going to fill it up with 1 qt Lucas trans fix and new ATF then see if that improves things.

Also, I'm missing 2 small bolts where the filler tube bracket bolts onto the transaxle. Pretty sure those were still in there the last time I looked!

Old 12-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You will be lucky if that cures your problem

Old 12-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Drive all my cars 250,000+++++ mi. don't change the trans. oil. You really can't change all of it. Only had a problem once with a 65 chevy with a power glide. when your oil smells burnt-brownish black or has a gray look its too late. Don't believe trans oil gets contaminated like engine oil. If it does there's a problem. Had a car once that sometimes at a light it was like you put it in neutral. Over filled it by a pint and put another 200,00 mi. on it. Think that was pump related. Will agree with the post before. Good Luck

Old 12-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if it smeels like burnt cork its toast!Tom

Old 12-12-2010, 04:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Need to buy some new ATF and 2 new bolts to hold the filler tube, then will see what happens. Maybe I am counting too much on Mr. Lucas Transfix to work magic here.

Might need to speed up my 3speed transaxle conversion plans!

Old 12-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris, drop down the transaxle & readjust the low band. Tech manual says to loosen the jam nut, tighten the adjusting screw to 40 IN Lb + or - 5 lb then back off the screw 4 turns exactly. If the trans has a lot of miles, only back off 3.5 turns. This will help the slipping in low. You can also get a lot more atf out by pulling off the torque converter & sucking out as much fluid as possible. Converter holdes about 1.5 quarts. I was able to get a trans pretty clean by draining & refilling several times over a 6 month period. I didnt pull the pan, just pulled the fill tube & lei it drain out then refilled. I think I did it 4 times in 6 months.

POCI.org
Old 12-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Keith, will try tightening up the low band adjuster. Will crawl up there and see if I can get to it without lowering the transaxle.

I wonder if a new filter will help any.
Pulling the torque converter doesn't sound like fun, so I will probably just go for the drain and refill. Did you notice any difference when you did this?

Old 12-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can't get to the adjuster without lowering the transaxle. Adjuster is on the top front of the trans. Not really a filter but a metal screen. Screen can be cleaned with a can of brake-kleen. Fuel tank will have to come out to get the converter off. Can't quite get it off by dropping the transaxle. Converter is held on by a snap ring on the back of the converter that is covered by a big nut. Impact gun on the nut to remove it, push in on the converter to access the snap ring, remove snap ring, then slide the converter off the diff. Not hard, just time consuming. No real difference on draining the converter. just the peace of mind knowing I got out as much dirty oil as I could.

POCI.org
Old 01-10-2018, 08:30 AM
Senior Chief

So for years and even after the trans-axle was rebuilt I've had a slipping on corners. It's like the fluid shifts away from the pickup tube for a bit. My other car doesn't do this and I searched the forums and nobody else has reported it. I'm thinking a baffle or part is missing in my trans, anybody???

Old 01-10-2018, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Slipping on corners is a sign its low on fluid.

POCI.org
Old 01-10-2018, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those 61-63 transaxle transmissions are bad for leaks. There are many small rubber O rings and places for the fluid to escape. Keep at least 2 quarts of AFT in the trunk of your car at all times plus one of those long skinny funnels. If you drive one with low fluid it will slip in drive!!

Old 01-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks all. I don't want to overfill the trans but maybe my dipstick isn't the correct length? I'll compare it to another 63 auto trans I have today. I hope that is it and ALL THESE YEARS I haven't put in enough fluid...wouldn't that be

Old 01-12-2018, 01:46 AM
Senior Chief

Well it was a little low on fluid but the Dip Sticks were exactly the same length.
One of these days I'm going to drop the pans on both cars and compare them.

I backed up a bit today to check the response of the trans and then parked it, found a wheel cylinder was leaking. I know what I'm doing tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leakagain.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	472400  

Old 01-13-2018, 12:03 PM

There is no baffle just a metal screen filter that Keith mentioned in an earier post.

You also need to drive the car for at least 5 minutes to get the trans fluid up to the operating temperature to cleck fluid levels. Just idling in the driveway will not give you an accurate reading.

Also check vacuum modulator, it could be faulty and fluid can be slowly sucked into the engine if you do not see signs of leaks. I seen this happen on a rebuilt transaxle.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:31 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the tips. I did fill it hot and to the very top, works much better that way. I was able to replace the wheel cylinder but also had to replace the short brake line due to the new cylinder having a deeper hole for the line. Why do they make different sizes...